Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay probably the wrong place to ask but, for renting, as someone with a Chromecast what's the best service for getting GvK? Obviously not iTunes but I don't seem to see rentals in my Prime app so maybe they don't do that here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Okay probably the wrong place to ask but, for renting, as someone with a Chromecast what's the best service for getting GvK? Obviously not iTunes but I don't seem to see rentals in my Prime app so maybe they don't do that here.
      Google Play, watching it now on there and casting.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
        Google Play, watching it now on there and casting.
        Great, thank you!

Comment

Well GvK was ok-ish. At least the balance of kaiju to squishy bipeds is far better this time. Looks great with thumping sound effects and plenty of action.

Comment

Yep. It was nonsense and some parts felt abridged, like lots of scenes were cut. One step off having Minilla in there. I did really enjoy it, a lot of fun and some great action but it lost a lot of what the previous films had. No sense of scale, the humans just existed for exposition and it didn’t have the artistry or majesty of King of the Monsters. I also felt the CG work was disappointing but it actually seemed to be an artistic choice - it was very well built and animated but lit very unrealistically. I imagine it would look way more impressive on a cinema screen in 3D though. Would like to have seen it there rather than on my telly.

Although at home I could pause it to go to the toilet.

Anyway, I enjoyed it but didn’t find it up to the standard of the other movies. And it’s a Kong movie with Godzilla cameos, if that matters to anyone.

Comment

Just watched 10 RILLINGTON PLACE (1971) for the very first time, Richard Attenborough excels as the creepy, manipulative John Reginald Christie, a dodgy, bald serial killer who looks a tad like a weird neighbour from KEEPING UP APPEARANCES.

Its quite sloooooow (realistically, it's set in the 40s/50s) but this was brill, Attenborough plays a proper sneaky, murderous knobend and he plays it with a brilliant, Alan Bennett-style fake pathos, he's so annoying yet so fun.

What an absorbing film. Great sense of place (the external shots were from the actual crime scene) and Sir Dickie is so brill in this, you'll love to hate him!!! He brought to mind Sam L. Jackson's character from DJANGO UNCHAINED, a truly fake, duplicitous, shady, immoral tosser!!! He's ace in it!!!!!!!

Not only that, this has some beautiful, vintage, early-70s courtroom scenes, they're GRIPPING!!!

Don't expect fast, expect quite a dark, slow tale enhanced by its brilliant acting and storyline.

Forgot to say that John Hurt acts his heart out here, too.

Yeah. Liked. A lot. 1971 was possibly the best year for films...let's just face it, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and GET CARTER came out in the same year. I wish I'd been extant at the time and seen these at the flicks. But even fifty years on, they're still boss.

Comment

On Sony Movies at the mo. Recommended!!!

Comment

Thanks to the fantabulous [MENTION=2697]dvdx2[/MENTION], I watched "Breakdown", which is a great, paranoid little thriller. Not sure how I missed this beforehand, but it was great, thanks!

Comment

^the Kurt Russell one???!!! I totally forgot about that, I saw it at the flicks when it came out, it was pretty deece!!!

Having said that, I'd reckon the orig version of THE VANISHING is strong and along similar lines, plus the Kiefer remake is still pretty good, try them next!!!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      Thanks to the fantabulous @dvdx2, I watched "Breakdown", which is a great, paranoid little thriller. Not sure how I missed this beforehand, but it was great, thanks!
                      I saw this at the Robins Cinema in Durham back in the day, on a rather small screen. It held me transfixed until, at one point, I forcibly phased my attention out of the film and into my surroundings. I looked around. People were absorbed, totally and utterly. You could hear a pin drop.

In 30+ years of cinema-going, that’s only ever happened during Dark City and this film.

Comment

Yeah, it totally went under my radar, but dvdx2 was raving about it and hooked me up with his old disc after upgrading.

Loved being lost and wondering who the hell is in on it, or is he paranoid?

On a similar note, Prin, I remember the machete through the wall scene in The Raid and it was silent in the cinema as people held their breath too.

Comment

DARK CITY, that takes me back. I remember seeing it on the same Odeon screen I saw GHOSTBUSTERS on as a nipper. There were only about five people in (it was, like, a Thursday afternoon).

Sadly, now, it's a bloody Sports Direct. The spot where I once sat watching those two classics now houses stacks of crappy Dunlop safety shoes and cheapo hoodies.

Aaaaaaah. Let me die.......

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                            Sadly, now, it's a bloody Sports Direct. The spot where I once sat watching those two classics now houses stacks of crappy Dunlop safety shoes and cheapo hoodies.
                            Our Odeon in Middlesbrough (which had a massive and ornate main screen auditorium) became a Jumpin Jak’s briefly before being levelled for a quid-a-day car park. It’s like dodgy 70s councillors with teddy boy haircuts are still signing off dodgy deals.

Comment

Lol, Jumpin Jak's!!! The Leeds one was notorious for Rohypnol. Now it's Channel 4's Leeds office and this big, pink, snake 'art' installation sits where all the date-raping used to take place.

Comment

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
                                The UE version of the film weighing in a three hours. There's so many things that I like about the film but in general it's just impossible mount a reasonable defence of it as it's so hugely flawed and commits pretty much every error that MoS is accused of.

Comment

Working...
                                X