Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally seen a reasonable movie recently! Went to A Quiet Place II, great to be back at the pictures. Apart from some unnecessary emotive score and orbiting camera moments - actually the score is dreadfull, if you liked the first there is plenty of high tension scenes here and the invasion sequence was well handled, echos of WOTW. Decent.

Comment

Watched "The Prestige" on Prime Video the other day. In my mind it is Nolan's finest film. Everything about it is just spot on.

Went to the cinema this morning with my son to see Peter Rabbit 2. Despite the annoying presence of James Corden, I find the first film not as awful as reviewers stated and hearing that the makers of it listened to feedback and took the negative into consideration for the sequel means it is a much better film.

Lots of broad strokes and slapstick for the kids and some knowing winks for the grown ups.

Harry loved it!

We're currently watching Spider-Man Homecoming as I type this. I know it's a 12 but, well, is there anything that bad in it? The only reason I can think of it having a 12 rating is when Michael Keaton vaporizes Logan Marshall Green.

Comment

Promising Young Woman
        Got ahead of it a few times which was a shame in terms of some moments landing but none the less this was still a good watch with some great moments and the back end of the film still landed fairly hard impact wise.

Comment

Oxygen, French sci-fi currently on Netflix. The story of a woman who wakes early from cryogenic sleep inside a pod she can’t unlock, and all the while her air is running out. I wasn’t expecting much from this, but it turned out to be a gripping hundred minutes. There are a couple of major twists and the lead actress carries almost the entire film herself, but my main impression was one of horrible claustrophobia, which gives the whole piece a great feeling of tension. Worth a look if you’re into alternative SF.

Comment

I watched Highlander last night. Haven't seen it in years. It's... well, it is what it is. I don't know if it holds up as a classic in the same way as some of the best of the 80s. I watched They Live the other day too and that felt like it held up so much better. Highlander is a bit all over the place with the way it jumps from past to present and it makes a few baffling choices along the way.

Although few more baffling than casting a French guy as the Scottish guy and the Scottish guy as the Egyptian Spaniard.

Comment

Touchez pas au Grisbi - Crime film from the 50s about an ageing gangster with an exit plan and the things that stand in his way. Full of atmosphere (the Paris streets and bars set a great scene) and great characters. Very enjoyable and very cool.

La Grande Illusion - WWI POW drama that seems fairly by the numbers initially but slowly works its magic and delivers its messages subtly.

The Evil Dead - Last time I watched the original it was on a rental VHS in the 80s. For some reason I've only seen parts 2 and 3 since then. What is interesting going back to the first it how intense it is. It's playful here and there, for sure, but the tension never gets a break from the get-go. Lean and mean. Thoroughly enjoyed watching it again. 20 year old Raimi pulled off a small miracle.

Comment

Made the mistake of watching The Predator yesterday, on C4 I think.

Avoid, easily the worst in the series.

Comment

The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It
                  In the sixth month of the year I finally got to the cinema for the first time in 2021. Nuts. The pre-existing seven films in the CCU exist on a fairly wide spectrum of decency. The Nun film is fine, La Llorona is the weakest and most distantly relevant, the Annabelle trilogy is a bit all over the place ranging from weak to decent and the two main entries are the top of the tier list thanks to Wan's execution which is central to making these work. This third film was already one to be mindful of because Wan didn't helm it, then the trailer looked terrible. Thankfully, the film itself is much better than the trailer suggested though it doesn't hold the standard. This entry focuses much more heavily on the Warrens as opposed to the first two which were about families with the Warrens there to support them. Here it feels the affected characters are either much more on the sidelines and the demons are more limited with no spin-off intended creations at work here. At this point it's largely the Warrens carrying it, you go into the film already invested in the characters so it's easy to just go along for the ride. It's certainly solid enough but if they want to continue there are clearly only 1-2 more main Conjuring entries left in the tank.

Spiral: From the Book of Saw
                  Aka Saw IX. It took me a bit to even remember what Saw VIII (Jigsaw) was about, not that it's relevant at all to this film which effectively stands alone even though it requires the context of previous entries existing for you to get the set up. In terms of filmmaking this is the most solid, competent entry since probably the initial trilogy. As Chris Rock not only stars in it but also helped put it together the film veers from feeling like a homage to Lethal Weapon at times through to the experience you already know. The film plays out more like a detective thriller than a Saw film, the focus is heavily on the case rather than the killer, but the weakest aspects are Rock who isn't really a fit for this type of role - usually looking constipated rather than serious - and that those who are familiar with the franchise will know the beats too well which means that there's one scene intended to be a dramatic shock but instead the film tips its hand and from that moment it's all to obvious who the killer is and therefore the motive and how the rest of the film will play out. Still better than half the series entries but if they insist on making another it needs to go more heavily back on the series roots and shift away from the serial killer approach and more to when the entire film was a puzzle box.

Comment

At the opposite end of the scale, we watched Penguins of Madagascar yesterday afternoon.

It was bloody good. Special mention goes to the octopi names:

"Elijah, would you please take them away?"

"Drew! Barry! More power!"

Comment

Yep, at the time that came out Minions stole all its thunder but Penguins has the better laughs in it

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                        At the opposite end of the scale, we watched Penguins of Madagascar yesterday afternoon.

It was bloody good. Special mention goes to the octopi names:

"Elijah, would you please take them away?"

"Drew! Barry! More power!"

Octopuses (or octopodes), but I really like this film too!
                        I saw it in a moonlight cinema on holiday once and it was a brilliant atmosphere.
                        I was crying at the bit where the lion is trying to give a speech and he keeps eating those crunchy Cheesy Dibbles.

Comment

I watched Magic Mike XXL last night. There isn't much to it. No real driving force, no real conflict. And yet, I liked it. It was light and easy and a film just made up of moments rather than plot and all the characters were likeable. It's a warm, easy movie.

Comment

Return of the Living Dead - Fairly light-hearted zombie film written and directed by Dan O'Bannon. It features not only runbies but also talkbies, which pushes things a little too far. It's also amusing how one zom looks really great yet the pack zoms are just people with some mud on them ... like the whole budget went on just the one. The comic-book punks make for fun fodder but it's all a bit forgettable really.

Ring - It's been a long time since I saw this and all I remembered was that bit. Watching it again it's a terrific mystery full of clues and leads. Really enjoyable watch. Going to keep my expectations well in check and take a look at the sequels now.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Return of the Living Dead - Fairly light-hearted zombie film written and directed by Dan O'Bannon. It features not only runbies but also talkbies
                              Send more paramedics...

Comment

Elizabeth Harvest - very slow. Characters are super weird (for a reason I guess, but it annoyed me), like the acting is really bad on purpose. It reveals a lot pretty quickly, and then leaves you wondering why it's taking ages to get anywhere. The following revelations aren't really worth waiting for.

Comment

Working...
                                X