Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Train to Busan - I've watched a bunch of fairly average zombie films lately and now I've seen an outstanding one. A rare film I didn't want to end. The zoms are super-volatile and deadly, but also prone to some classic manipulation. And the film's characters are just brilliant. You care about each and every one of them very quickly. One of my most enjoyable watches in a while with some fantastic and memorable moments. Going to have to see the other two now.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
      Train to Busan - I've watched a bunch of fairly average zombie films lately and now I've seen an outstanding one. A rare film I didn't want to end. The zoms are super-volatile and deadly, but also prone to some classic manipulation. And the film's characters are just brilliant. You care about each and every one of them very quickly. One of my most enjoyable watches in a while with some fantastic and memorable moments. Going to have to see the other two now.
      Yeah, in a sea of zombie flicks, TtB really stands out.

I recently rewatched it and I think it bugs me a bit that characters don't get bitten until the plot necessitates it, they seem invulnerable before that, but I love how everyone is fair game in this. Nobody is guaranteed to survive!

Watched Peninsula the day after and it's a different beast.
      It shares a lot with Army of the Dead - ex-military guy who lost everything in the outbreak joins a scheme to enter the Z-Zone to rob a load of cash.
      I really enjoyed it, but I think I was on the hype train at the point where everyone was expecting great things after the first, so all the reviews were slating it and then I watched it, so I though it was better than the hopeful reviews were expecting.

Worth watching, especially for the hilarious Initial-Z section!

Comment

Watched a film on Netflix last night that I've had on my watchlist for a while called Outside The Wire.

It stars Anthony "Falcon" Mackie as a top secret cyborg soldier sent in to stop a terrorist launching nukes at America.
        The story is viewed from his partner, a drone pilot demoted for breaking orders that results in the death of soldiers on the ground.

Not top-tier, but an interesting slice of near-future-war sci-fi action that has plenty of twists and turns.

Comment

Arlo the Alligator Boy
          Released on Netflix in April and leads into a tv series they have on the way, it's an odd little film about an alligator boy who grows up in the swamp and travels to New York to find his parents. It's simple with several little dangling aspects for the series to follow up on, it shouldn't work either but it uses musical numbers that sound more like commercial tracks and the goofy art style is propped up by some nice sequences. It's not a mean spirited film and has just enough heart to hold the attention, will be checking out the series.

Comment

I watched close to half of Tropic Thunder and did not like it one bit. So turned it off and put on Booksmart instead and that was absolutely lovely. Really funny, full of heart and charm and it made me smile throughout. I loved it.

Comment

Ring 2 - Oof. It's started o-k-a-y but the longer it was on it just kept reminding me how masterful the original is. I wasn't expecting another masterpiece but it was pretty disappointing. Not sure I can be bothered with Zero now.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              put on Booksmart instead and that was absolutely lovely. Really funny, full of heart and charm and it made me smile throughout. I loved it.
              Is it streaming?

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Is it streaming?
                Yep, it’s on Netflix.

Yeah, Ring 2 has its moments but it’s no Ring. But you should watch Spiral to compare for fun. That’s not a good movie at all but an interesting curiosity. That’s on the blu ray set too if that’s what you’re watching. 0 is a whole different movie and shouldn’t be compared to the original, I reckon. I think it’s okay for what it is but it’s largely a teen drama.

Comment

Watched Your Name after buying but putting it off for the longest time. Thought it couldn't live up to its rep but it really did. Magical film. Loved it.

Comment

It’s absolutely beautiful. While I don’t think it’s quite as great as Your Name, I’d recommend you watch Weathering With You.

Comment

Thanks, I will definitely get hold of that. I've seen The Garden of Words too which is also really impressive. I recently also watched Mamoru Hosoda's The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, which as a teen love story with time-travel elements is kind of parallel to Your Name. It was enjoyable but not in the same league in terms of emotional depth or visual artistry.

Comment

I watched Godzilla last night, the original Japanese 1954 one. It looks like it was shot on a photocopier and some of the effects are unintentionally hilarious - one jumped out where a truck is driving along and then it cuts to a tiny toy rolling over. And yet still that movie is incredibly effective. The visuals have a kind of nightmarish quality to them. The city on fire is haunting and Godzilla, aside from a couple of goofy shots with his eyes on view, generally looks fantastic and dangerous. And the shots are really well composed to sell the sense of scale. They work really well.

The story is a human story. It's people living through a sort of horror/disaster film setup when they were already afraid and paranoid due to nuclear war and testing.

It's a good film. It's almost weird to think how the movies would soon go so silly after such dark beginnings.

Comment

Have you seen Gorgo? It’s only about 7 years later. The suit and effects are better than Toho’s efforts to that point. It’s a decent spin on the genre.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                            Have you seen Gorgo? It’s only about 7 years later. The suit and effects are better than Toho’s efforts to that point. It’s a decent spin on the genre.
                            I haven't actually. I must look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              I haven't actually. I must look it up.
                              See if you can. In my recent issue of the excellent Movie Milestones fanzine, there’s a feature on it. Originally it had Japanese backers, and the production company - King Bros - were keen on the man-in-a-suit practical effect. They designed the monster to have an armoured back, and the writer of the article speculates that Toho lifted the idea for the creation of Baragon. King Bros spent so much money on the film that they had to cancel/delay 30 other films at various stages of production to fund it!

Comment

Went to the Cinema for the first time in a year. I chose "Nobody" and so glad I did. Laugh out loud funny and extremely violent. The bus scrap will be remembered as a classic for years I think. Recommended.

Comment

Working...
                                X