Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just feel a bit bad as nothing really knocks your socks off.

Doesn't have to be amazing. an 8/10 would be an achievement, mate!

Comment

I think it's the price of watching so much stuff. So many comparisons etc run through the mind and the bar for stuff ends up high. It's usually a case of something very rarely being able to meet the perfect storm of matching your interests, low expectations but high quality delivery.

Especially when so many films that are major the last few years are so bleh. One day though!

Comment

Watched Tenet for the third time now that it’s on Netflix.

I saw it twice in the cinema and was convinced I understood it in my own basic way.

Then I made the mistake of reading theories and watching YouTube explanations which just made my head spin so I reminded myself that I already understood Tenet 100% and didn’t need to do any further investigation.

I was joking to my wife that I’ll be watching it once a week until I understand it, but she doesn’t know I’m a bit serious. More like once a fortnight.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
          Watched Tenet for the third time now that it’s on Netflix.

I saw it twice in the cinema and was convinced I understood it in my own basic way.

Then I made the mistake of reading theories and watching YouTube explanations which just made my head spin so I reminded myself that I already understood Tenet 100% and didn’t need to do any further investigation.

I was joking to my wife that I’ll be watching it once a week until I understand it, but she doesn’t know I’m a bit serious. More like once a fortnight.
          What if it just doesn't make sense?
          Last edited by Dogg Thang; 21-06-2021, 14:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            What it just doesn't make sense?
            Like that sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              Like that sentence.
              Whoops. Ummmm... it makes perfect sense.

Comment

Comment

First return to the cinema last night to see Ben Wheatley's new film In The Earth. It's a kind of folky fairytale psychedelic horror with a bit of a

Heart of Darkness

element ... the basic story following a scientist and a ranger into the woods to rendezvous with another scientist who is studying the super fertile soil and natural network in there. Very mild spoiler covered up there, it's nothing really, just an observation, but as is usually the case the less you know going in the better, so no peeking. Films like this work even better when they have little known actors in them, and this does, to me anyway ... but it was a fairly famous British comedy actor who stole the show. Goodness me did he. Didn't know he was in it, didn't really credit him for having the chops to pull off a performance like this, but he was brilliant. My wife asked me later what it was like and I told her she'd have hated it. The production is intense on the senses at times and the constant dread and anxiety isn't for everyone. I thought it was class though.

Comment

Magnolia - I love going back to PTA films. It's been over 20 years since I saw this one at the pics and I'd forgotten enough about it for it feel fresh all over again. Brilliant film. Might have to got on a mad binge now.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        First return to the cinema last night to see Ben Wheatley's new film In The Earth. It's a kind of folky fairytale psychedelic horror with a bit of a

Heart of Darkness

element ... the basic story following a scientist and a ranger into the woods to rendezvous with another scientist who is studying the super fertile soil and natural network in there. Very mild spoiler covered up there, it's nothing really, just an observations, but as is usually the case the less you know going in the better, so no peeking. Films like this work even better when they have little known actors in them, and this does, to me anyway ... but it was a fairly famous British comedy actor who stole the show. Goodness me did he. Didn't know he was in it, didn't really credit him for having the chops to pull off a performance like this, but he was brilliant. My wife asked me later what it was like and I told her she'd have hated it. The production is intense on the senses at times and the constant dread and anxiety isn't for everyone. I thought it was class though.
                        As a Kill list, Down Terrace, Sightseers, Freefire fan but not really enjoying his others, would I like this? Quite a low score on IMDb but not looked at reviews for spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stakers View Post
                          As a Kill list, Down Terrace, Sightseers, Freefire fan but not really enjoying his others, would I like this? Quite a low score on IMDb but not looked at reviews for spoilers.
                          I've only seen Kill List and Sightseers from your list but I'd say it's likely. Most reviews have a 'back to what he does best' theme about them.

Comment

Missus has gone out with some other mum friends tonight so I'm watching Spy.

It's one of my utter favourites. The whole thing is great but, by God, does Jason Statham steal every scene he's in.

Comment

WTF?

You're not watching that again, you're watching The Babysitter.

Comment

Psycho
                                The original from '60 as we dip our toe into covering films from pre-70's. I enjoyed it, it was interesting to finally watch it properly in full. I've seen it described as being one of the best horror's of all time, perhaps if you were watching it as a 1960 cinema-goer but it's not a horror in the slightest really. The first half is pretty plodding but from the shower scene onward it picks up nicely and it's largely because the film is so against the typical structure that it works. Bates himself isn't interesting, it's the way the story is told that holds this together. The weakest part is when the Inspector is attacked and falls down the stairs, the shot is laughable and the worst thing in the film but the best is probably at the end when the psychiatrist describes Norman's state of mind. It's all stuff you know but hearing it laid out in one go showcases how well thought out the scenario is.

Comment

Working...
                                X