This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone see any of the Psycho sequels?

Just felt like a film that didn't need them.

Comment

We'll get to them in time but like you I can't see the appeal of them, Bates doesn't warrant numerous sequels so I can't imagine they're anything but belated cash ins.

Comment

Sometimes sequels get unfairly dissed when the original is so good and they can't compare, but on later reflection they're not bad.

I doubt that's the case with the Psycho sequels, so thanks for taking one for the team.

Comment

I seem to remember really liking Psycho 2. I must admit it has been decades since I've seen it but it had a couple of surprises and I remember it being remarkably tense.

I'm not sure any film needs a sequel but sometimes they can offer something different.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            The weakest part is when the Inspector is attacked and falls down the stairs, the shot is laughable and the worst thing in the film but the best is probably at the end when the psychiatrist describes Norman's state of mind. It's all stuff you know but hearing it laid out in one go showcases how well thought out the scenario is.
            Wow, really? I'd have that the other way around. The attack on the staircase is brilliant. It might not look real, but it's disorienting and feels like falling. And the psychiatrist dotting every i and crossing every t is the weakest moment in the film for me ... it reeks of studio meddling.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Anyone see any of the Psycho sequels?

Just felt like a film that didn't need them.
            Yes, the second one. The fanboy in me enjoyed a return to the Bates Motel and it's a decent idea/script to be fair.

Comment

I could see how the wrap up at the end could be due to the studio, but for the staircase I didn't get the falling sense as someone falling backwards down the stairs would see them tumbling and rolling down whereas the inspector goes down like he's in a looney tunes cartoon or Austin Powers skit. Through the frame of it being from 1960 though it's easy to move past. The missus is keen for me to watch Bates Motel now.

Comment

I enjoyed Bates Motel. Definitely worth a watch.

Comment

Luca - it's very charming and so beautiful to look at, but it also felt a bit derivative to me. That said, my bigger issue is that the message and the resolution of everything at the end is all a bit simple and convenient? I am probably expecting too much of it. It's a decent film, and I can see why folks who are particularly into Pixar things are loving it, just it washed over me rather than actually drawing me in.

All That Mayhem - good shout from [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION] on this skateboarding doc. Video cameras being so prominent and present in that scene makes for the ability to tell a pretty detailed story, huh? Aside from the sad main story being told, it's notable for helping show the distaste some have for the sanitised, American, advertiser-friendly public image of skateboarding.

Comment

I watched Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist at the weekend and enjoyed it. It's a very sweet simple movie. A cute vibe throughout and it worked.

Watched some of Eighth Grade but abandoned it because I was just cringing through the first part and it was too much. It was painful. Probably an excellent movie but not what one I wanted at the time. And then followed it with some of a George Clooney film. Midnight Sky? Midnight something. A sci-fi. Again, I might have liked this another time but it was slow and dull and, after switching from Eighth Grade, it just didn't keep my attention. So abandoned it after 40 minutes and might give it another shot some other time.

Comment

Barking Dogs Never Bite - This is Bong Joon Ho's first film and I'm not sure what to make of it really. ***SPOILERS AHEAD*** There just wasn't enough of a resolution in the end ... and that's fine in some films ... but there are two main characters in this and one of them is cruel to animals, so instantly hatable, no other word for it. I could accept this side of the story if he had to accept some kind of punishment or justice, or even accepting he was a PoS, but he doesn't ... even when the other main character finds out about it. Unsatisfying. However, it is very well made, well acted, always engaging. It just doesn't conclude well. Maybe it's too progressive for my old-fashioned tastes. I dunno.

Comment

Fast and furious 9

Went to treat the missus to a 4DX experience, that was actually pretty good, the movie however must be the dumbest

I enjoy them due to the fact of turning off brain, but man I laugh at a couple of bits that weren't meant to be funny

Must be close to the dumbest yet!!!! But also enjoyable haha

Comment

Amazon Prime Day(s) Sale + Tenet fever = random ordering of Tenet BR with special features. Also, bought a used Interstellar BR for half that.

The Tenet special features were good. I'd already spotted a few Monty Python funny walking moments in the film itself, but I didn't know how much backwards stuff was being done. Denzel Jr's fight with himself was filmed four times, with him learning and doing the fighting for each role forwards and backwards. Insane!

On Sunday we watched Interstellar, which we hadn't seen for a few years. We'll usually shout "Murph!" - or the Japanese dub's "Murfooo!" - when we spot it on Netflix or even just randomly during a quiet dinner.

It's a testament to how much Interstellar grabbed us emotionally that we didn't shout Murph even once during the entire film. I did do the Team America "Matt Damon" when Matt was brought back from his cryosleep, but the situation demanded it.

Comment

(the first 10 minutes of) I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer - I honestly did well to last that long. It feels like a random episode of tv. Rubbish tv. All flash cut editing everywhere. No ta. The first film was great. Second was so-so. This one no-no.

Comment

Finished my Babycart season last night with the 6th film, White Heaven in Hell and then Shogun Assassin.

The series didn't quite end the way I thought it would because

Yagyū Retsudo, leader of the shadow ninja clan, who plotted Ogami's downfall, actually escapes, presumably to be finally dispatched in another film that never got made.

Obviously, these are fantasy films and I'm happy with Ogami dispatching several henchmen at the same time, but by the end of the final film, where he's dispatching dozens of skiing ninjas at a time with his machinegun pram with infinite bullets, it's a bit shark jumpy.

That doesn't detract from the earlier action scenes and continued beautiful cinematography.
                              It's surprising to think these films are from '72 to '74 as they still feel fresh.
                              Some of the gore effects have dated a little, but it's still full-on seeing a ninja rolling around with his limbs cut off.

I've never seen Shogun Assassin as it was banned (I think) for ages and I went straight to the Babycart originals when I could. Basically, they took the first 2 films, mashed them together and gave Daigoro a narration to explain what was going on, which was necessary as they rewrote the story.
                              For example, they change the target of River Styx from a traitorous clothes dye expert to the Shogun's brother and the attempt to frame Ogami as an enemy of the Shogun is said to be just another attack.

As Shinobi said, the soundtrack is actually pretty decent, but to me also feels a bit incongruous to what's going on as it's this 80s synth track.
                              To be fair, in the last couple of films, there's a couple of funky tracks, which are great, but also don't fit right.

Genuinely surprised nobody has managed to continue the film series and complete the story from the manga.

Did you know there's a LW&C arcade game?

Last edited by QualityChimp; 29-06-2021, 08:19. Reason: Bolded titles

Comment

Thoroughly enjoyed the rundown of this series.

Comment

Working...
                                X