User Tag List

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Never seen it myself! Think I kinda lumped it in with MARS ATTACKS!, which I found to be a big, unfunny, chaotic mess. HATED it.

Whereas, everyone seems to like this so it seems I was wrong to dismiss it.

If it pops up on the Freeview listings, will someone give us a tap on the shoulder?

Quote Originally Posted by JazzFunk View Post
    Never seen it myself! Think I kinda lumped it in with MARS ATTACKS!, which I found to be a big, unfunny, chaotic mess. HATED it.

Whereas, everyone seems to like this so it seems I was wrong to dismiss it.

If it pops up on the Freeview listings, will someone give us a tap on the shoulder?
    I think it's on Prime?

Don't have that at the mo, sadly. Have seen it turn up a few times on Freeview in the past so I'm sure it'll come round again, at some point.

It's on Netflix.

I think it's strongest point is that it has a lot of heart.

Mars Attacks just seems to be goofy for the sake of being goofy and cramming in a load of cameos.

Yeah, I guess I can see how you might lump them into similar categories based on premise alone but I love Galaxy Quest and don't care for Mars Attacks one bit. To me, they are worlds apart in terms of what they are trying to be.

Cheers guys, got Netflix, will check it out this week!!! Haven't been on Netflix for ages, I seem to use the Sky Box to tape Freeview stuff more!

The Ladykillers - A proper British classic. So funny and so dark, I loved every second. In the mood for more Ealings now.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzFunk View Post
    I seem to use the Sky Box to tape Freeview stuff more!
    I still say "tape" stuff too!

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    The Ladykillers - A proper British classic. So funny and so dark, I loved every second. In the mood for more Ealings now.
    Really need to watch this. Guessing you scooped the UHD? I'm tempted by that collector's edition but unsure whether I should hold out for the standard version they'll release down the line no doubt. I spend too much on Blu-rays

Owning Mahowny

Philip Seymour Hoffman is a well liked, mild mannered bank employee with a secret. He's embezzling millions of dollars, and funnelling it all into his gambling addiction.

This is a great and pretty obscure indie film from the 2000s. You can tell it's done on a low budget - I can only assume they devoted all the cash to the actors, which was totally the right decision, as Hoffman, Minnie Driver and John Hurt are all excellent.

The film has two emotional states - overwhelming stress and overwhelming relief, that mirror how it might feel to be an inveterate gambler on a never-ending losing streak. It pinballs between them for just under two hours and it's gripping throughout.

Recommended. It's a true story, too! Only available on DVD, this one.

Soul

I've been alerted that my thoughts might be considered spoilers. They only really tell you the setup though, so feel free to read the below if you are happy to know the basics of what it's about. But if you like to go in cold, best to avoid

Interesting little film. It follows a middle aged music teacher who finally achieves his lifelong dream of being a successful jazz musician, then promptly falls down a manhole and dies. That's in the first five minutes, and it's a really cool opening.

He goes to a sort of cheerful purgatory where souls are sorted before passed down to earth for installation into newborn babies, and manages to get himself back on earth. Body swap hijinks ensue as he tries to get himself back into his real body in time for the biggest gig of his life that evening.

I really wanted this to be better than it actually was. Very much a curate's egg - the grounded stuff, like the main character's relationship with his mother, and his visit to the barbershop, are brilliantly done. The more outlandish elements, like the pirate ship yogi in purgatory, fall completely flat for me.

The main problem it has is that there is simply too much plot, and too many complicated rules about how the soul world works. I think it needed some drastic edits to the script. It also lacks any really genuinely funny jokes.

Love that it's an animated film about a Black middle aged school teacher who dies in the first five minutes though. As I say, I think this has unmet potential.

It's intriguing though, and worth a watch. On Disney+.

Last edited by wakka; 06-01-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wakka View Post
    Really need to watch this. Guessing you scooped the UHD? I'm tempted by that collector's edition but unsure whether I should hold out for the standard version they'll release down the line no doubt. I spend too much on Blu-rays
    Haha, your Spider Sense was correct. Yes, total blind buy but I havenít bought any films for a while so thought Iíd take a punt. What a genuinely great watch ... then dived straight into the special features afterwards Super nice box set too.