This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed the rundown of this series.
    Cheers mate. Glad you said.
    Sometimes I feel I'm talking to myself, but I enjoy the conversation, so does it matter?!

Forgot to say:
    KILLCOUNT 155

Easily the highest, but most of it is from the machinegun pram at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      machinegun pram

Comment

The Departed - After the England match I decided not to overload on more football and watch a film instead. Out of nowhere I just fancied watching this and there it was on Prime Video. It's grown on me over the years. Being based on another film there'll always be those who delight in telling you how much better the original is, but there's so much this gets right it's not even a factor ... it's its own film through and through. It might not be MS's best film (although the Academy thought it was) but it's got his greatness all over it. Stellar turns from the cast too, esp DiCaprio and Wahlberg. Maybe not so much Winstone with his cockston accent What a great watch this was. Never a lull in two and a half hours. Brilliant.
        Last edited by Atticus; 30-06-2021, 07:46.

Comment

Drive - I thought this was just okay at the cinema. Forgot about it, then caught a few minutes last year when it was on BBC and it looked amazing. Since then I've planned to watch it again and finally did so last night. Loved it this time. Totally on board with it. Now I want to play Hotline Miami again.

Comment

I watched Destroy All Monsters last night with my eldest kid. She thought it was ridiculous and laughed a lot at the outfits and the bad dubbing (we deliberately went for the dubbed version because it's how I would have seen it back when I first saw it). It's a lot of fun but I remember there being way more monster action. Basically what I remembered as being most of the movie is actually just a bit at the end. And they throw a couple of monsters in and then we don't see them, such as Baragon who is in maybe two shots and some other one (Varan? I can't remember and they didn't even mention him - he was just visible a couple of times). As far as that era of Godzilla movies goes, it's an enjoyable one.

Comment

Cobra - A film that ticks many boxes, some good and some bad. What I hadn’t realised is it must have been dated even back in 86 (Die Hard was only 3 years away). It’s steeped in Cannon’s dirty VHS stamp, and really, that’s its edge. It’s massively over the top, cheesy and violent in equal parts. It’s Dirty Harry with added dirty (see the pic of Reagan on Cobretti’s office wall). But it’s a fine example of ‘don’t make em like that anymore’ and if you accept it warts n all you’ll have a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                Drive - I thought this was just okay at the cinema. Forgot about it, then caught a few minutes last year when it was on BBC and it looked amazing. Since then I've planned to watch it again and finally did so last night. Loved it this time. Totally on board with it. Now I want to play Hotline Miami again.
                I also love Drive.
                Mark Dacascos is an absolute badass and the fight scenes are inventive and thrilling.
                There are no other films called Drive.

Cobra - A film that ticks many boxes, some good and some bad. What I hadn’t realised is it must have been dated even back in 86 (Die Hard was only 3 years away). It’s steeped in Cannon’s dirty VHS stamp, and really, that’s its edge. It’s massively over the top, cheesy and violent in equal parts. It’s Dirty Harry with added dirty (see the pic of Reagan on Cobretti’s office wall). But it’s a fine example of ‘don’t make em like that anymore’ and if you accept it warts n all you’ll have a good time.
                I haven't seen this since BITD and can't remember a thing about it.
                Does he drive a sweet black Porche? Is that something I've remembered right?

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                I watched Destroy All Monsters last night with my eldest kid. She thought it was ridiculous and laughed a lot at the outfits and the bad dubbing (we deliberately went for the dubbed version because it's how I would have seen it back when I first saw it). It's a lot of fun but I remember there being way more monster action. Basically what I remembered as being most of the movie is actually just a bit at the end. And they throw a couple of monsters in and then we don't see them, such as Baragon who is in maybe two shots and some other one (Varan? I can't remember and they didn't even mention him - he was just visible a couple of times). As far as that era of Godzilla movies goes, it's an enjoyable one.
                I should probably update my Godzilla VHS cassettes at some point!

Will they do a set with the next era of films? I'd quite like to see Biollante.

Talking of VHS cassettes, I'm pretty sure it's the first time watching this one since grainy 3:4 tape.

Basically, the owner of Silver Shamrock Novelties buys the police, but instead of funding them from attacks on cops by the dad from That 70's Show, they try to build robots.
                The first robot is deaf, so they go with plan B and make a cyborg out of a dead cop and call him Rubbercop, although he's made of metal.
                He then remembers he's a dead cop so everybody shoots him, from criminals to robots to other cops, everywhere apart from his mouth.
                So to make it easier for them, he takes his whole hat off, but they still can't kill him, so he kills them.
                Silver Shamrock are so happy with his work, they continue to defund the police and go on to make more cyborgs like Rubbercop.

Comment

I also love Drive.
                  Mark Dacascos is an absolute badass and the fight scenes are inventive and thrilling.
                  How dare you bring Marc Dacostcut into the thread.

Haven't seen this since BITD and can't remember a thing about it.
                  It has that effect.

Does he drive a sweet black Porche? Is that something I've remembered right?
                  At this point I really wish there was another film called Cobra, haha
                  He drives a custom Mercury.

Comment

At this point I really wish there was another film called Cobra, haha
                    He drives a custom Mercury.
                    Ah yeah, I remember. Stallone drives this car:

Comment

Been on a late '90s / early '00s Nic Cage trip recently.

Face/Off
                      Con Air
                      The Rock
                      Gone in 60 Seconds
                      Snake Eyes
                      National Treasure

Comment

Face-con, the 60-Snake Treasure.

I'd watch that movie.

Comment

One Night In Miami. A fantasy scenario where Mohammad Ali, Jim Brown, Sam Cooke and Malcolm X are all mates and chat about stuff. Real enjoyed it.

Comment

Shogun Assassin was around on VHS before anybody over here could easily get the original series. I do like the dubbing as well, just for the voices.

Cobra - he cuts his pizza with scissors, I think Papi from Seinfeld (the chef who doesn't wash his hands) is his colleague, and Sledgehammer is the disturbed photographer. There is also the most blatant product placement ever put on film, the huge Pepsi display in the store.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                              There is also the most blatant product placement ever put on film, the huge Pepsi display in the store.
                              Haha, yeah, Coors too. In the supermarket bit he stops mid action, picks a can off the shelf, opens it and takes a chug, advert style.

Good spot on Poppie. I missed that connection. David Rasche didn’t go under the radar though

Comment

Cobra's cuban heals give him an odd walk, too. There's a lot going on. The poster is quite similar to The Terminator. Also it's his version of Beverly Hills Cop, apparently.

Comment

Working...
                                X