X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, he shouldn't.

Comment

I’m legit looking forward to when he watches and reviews every Emmanuelle.

Comment

See, without going too far into the subject of the... genre... we mulled whether to include Debbie Does Dallas and Emmanuelle has been discussed though we're some way past its 1974 release. The discussions were around whether the films should count or not. Both do share a bit of history though, the sequels to both seem to fit resolutely within the usual bracket you'd expect them too with plenty knock off sequels, spin-offs remakes and inspired by entries made by the usual companies that would be behind such titles.

For the original films though their prominence on release marks them out a bit differently. DDD was one of the big successes for its year in spite of its nature and its legacy far outstrips the mountain of normal genre releases with even a full scale off broadway musical running till by the looks just a year or two ago. Emmanuelle is somewhat similar, the original film was an outright full fledge theatrical release even being the UK first cinema released adult film (cut though). Same with the US where Columbia released it as essentially the 70's era Fifty Shades. I think in the end we settled on the thought of the 00's movie 9 Songs which isn't considered to be 'PrAwn' but pretty much contains the same kind of content. We definitely won't be working through the genre or franchise entries though

Comment

Watched The Lighthouse again last night. I was even more engrossed than when I saw it at the cinema (amazing on the small screen and a great workout for the subwoofer, wow). It's a gruelling stay but I love how committed and claustrophobic it is. Class performance from Willem Dafoe too ... I don't even see the actor ... just a haggard salty sea dog. Brilliant. Going to check out the blu-ray extras later.

Comment

Just watched THE SILENT PARTNER, a neat little, lo-fi crime drama from 1978, starting Elliott Gould, Christopher Plummer and Susannah York.

Doing the rounds on Talking Pictures right now, great little low-key Elmore Leonard sorta thing. Plummer plays against type, he's superb, like David Bowie's psycho elder brother.

Ultra-thick late-70s/early 80s atmos, with some great, expansive shopping malls at Xmas!!!

Great film, don't know how I ever missed this!
            Last edited by JazzFunk; 22-01-2021, 01:53.

Comment

Gould is amazingly sneaky but I couldn't help but think how much he looked like a cross betwixt Stephen Mangan and Saul Rubinek, it was somewhat distracting, in some petty, minor way.

Comment

I've always told my boys that Die Hard is the best action film ever and my eldest finally asked if we could watch it a couple of nights ago. Went down a treat. I never get bored of it. And we followed it up the night after with Die Hard 2, which I'd never seen. I had pretty low expectations being Renny Harlin and not John McTiernan at the helm but it was a fun watch none the less. Surprising amount of callbacks and characters from the first too ... I was impressed with that.

Next: Die Hard with a Vengeance ... which is not only a corker, but conveniently on telly tonight

Comment

Animal House
                  I expected to like this a lot more than I did thanks to enjoying Bachelor Party not long ago but as much as this is the heavy precursor for things like American Pie it felt flat likely due to its age.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
                  Likewise, this was awful but I knew it would be going in, but none the less it was kind of fascinating. Still love the theme tune though.

Comment

I watched This is the End, at least I think that’s what it’s called. The Seth Rogan one. I’ve seen it before and I really like it. Holds up well and it’s very funny in places.

Also watched Gremlins. I enjoyed it, although I must confess that I vastly prefer the more ridiculous sequel. Still, the original holds up really well. It’s fun, quite dark in places and the effects all work really well.

Comment

After all the flying around in a helicopter in GTA Online, I really wanted to visit the classic Blue Thunder.

Comment

@QualityChimp That looks tremendous. I'm gonna rent that.

I love WarGames and Stakeout so should really watch some more Badham.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                          @QualityChimp That looks tremendous. I'm gonna rent that.

I love WarGames and Stakeout so should really watch some more Badham.
                          Blue Thunder a classic, IMHO.
                          Just one of those things where everything comes together.
                          Badham directing (I recently rewatched WarGames).
                          O'Bannon writing (Alien screenwriter).
                          Schieder's character is flawed but still heroic, which was toned down from the original script.
                          An amazing synth score.
                          Fantastic stunts with amazing practical effects where it's hard to tell where they are being used.

Afterwards, I watched this excellent "making-of" documentary:

Plus this background to the finale stunt:

I've hidden them as there are massive spoilers, so watch after the film!
                          Last edited by QualityChimp; 25-01-2021, 13:38.

Comment

Yep won't be opening those spoilers. Looks like a top rec!

Really need to rewatch Stakeout, too.

Comment

Ava - it was ok. Not much plot but the action was ok. It was short so that was a positive. Jessica Chastain was pretty good.

Comment

Watched The Invitation on Netflix last night. A couple are invited to a dinner party by the guy's ex ... and to say any more would be saying too much. Enjoyable film ... plays its cards close.

Comment

Working...
                                X