Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, also watched Red Flag. In it Dwayne Johnson plays the part of Dwayne Johnson alongside Ryan Reynolds playing the part of Ryan Reynolds. If you like these two (I think they’re a great pairing) then it’s good fun.

Comment

We’re on a mini break at an onsen hotel so I brought Spirited Away.

I could watch it on an endless loop.

Comment

More Woovember challenges!

I tried to watch Sister Street Fighter (Watch a Sonny Chiba film) on YouTube, but I was thinking it would be much better without the ultragrain/ultrapixelation combo, so bought the Blu-Ray, so I'll get back to you!

However I watched 16 Blocks (Watch a Richard Donner film) on Prime, which I've never seen before.
        It's in those dreamy days where Bruce Willis was sought out to play a lead role in a major cinematic release, rather than just phone his performance in whilst looking at his paycheque. How much money does he need? Can't he retire with dignity?
        Anyway, this was a breezy thriller with plenty of twists and turns, but felt a bit like a lite version of Die Hard 3.

(Watch a film by Steven Spielberg) my daughter wanted to watch a film in 3D and she was insistent on Big Hero 6, but I kinda vetoed her and put on The Adventures of Tintin (Via 3D Blu-Ray). She made it halfway before insisting we swap, but I went back to it later because I was really enjoying it!
        It's like a kid-friendly Indiana Jones movie! It's all CGI and hi-res, but they're all caricatures like Hergé's art, so there's no Uncanny Valley (like in Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, for example). CGI is often the easiest way to make these things, but typical Spielberg, he uses the medium to achieve action sequences he couldn't film naturally. There's a set piece chase through a town that is getting flooded and it's a total thrill as the antagonist and protagonist vehicles race to capture escaping clues. Tintin's motorcycle and sidecar gets gradually depleted until it's finally just handlebars acting like a zipwire handle.
        There are loads of reflections too, adding layers of depth and there are several flashback sequences that segue between then and now with clever transitions.
        Lovely little family adventure - recommended!

(Watch a film featuring the work of Brad Allen). Finished the weekend off with The World's End (via Blu-Ray) and to mix it up, I listened to one of three commentaries with Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg talking from the writing viewpoint. His commentaries are always great and the two mates joke and inform for the whole thing and there's barely a moment of silence. I loved how much thought went into foreshadowing the later events with the pubs all named after the events about to transpire in them and the pub number on the crawl is written somewhere in each one.
        It's also fun to spot who's a blank because they all wear green and blue. The "wifi" symbol is also emblazoned on everything!

Watched a "making-of" documentary afterwards and it's fascinating to see the levels of invention needed to make these things come to the screen. The action works because it's a lot of prosthetics with CGI used to enhance it, rather than be the whole.
        Last edited by QualityChimp; 22-11-2021, 14:51.

Comment

Talking of Spirited Away I caught the not Studio Ghibli Mary and The Witch's Flower yesterday on Film4. Beautiful old school animation style of the same order as Spirited Away I really enjoyed watching again.

Hate to say this here as I'll probably get piled on but in the case of these types of animated film: My Neighbour Tortoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Return Of The Cat etc I much prefer the English/US dubbed versions. They do a really good job thanks to the work of decent translators and the use of top quality actors/voice actors. It makes all the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
            We’re on a mini break at an onsen hotel so I brought Spirited Away.

I could watch it on an endless loop.
            this for me is Peak Studio Ghibli

id rate it among my top films of all time and it was one of the few Ghibli films i got to see on the big screen.

been watching a lot of Anime as my daughter is really getting into anime now at age 12, so far have watched all the ghibli back catalogue and a lot of Makoto Shinkai's stuff, The twist in Your Name was brilliant, likewise Weathering with you was super enjoyable too,

What really stuck with me recently though was A Silent Voice Its about a young Deaf Girl who's bullied at school and its heartbreaking in places, they should show this in schools as it shows the affects of bullying brilliant from both sides. It covers some pretty heavy mental health issues too in a sympathetic way its a fantastic piece of storytelling.
            Last edited by Lebowski; 23-11-2021, 08:07.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
              Hate to say this here as I'll probably get piled on but in the case of these types of animated film: My Neighbour Tortoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Return Of The Cat etc I much prefer the English/US dubbed versions. They do a really good job thanks to the work of decent translators and the use of top quality actors/voice actors. It makes all the difference.
              My wife hates the Japanese voices for certain Ghibli films where she thinks they’d gone for star power over voice acting talent. Howl’s Moving Castle is one of them.

If there were a JP version of Borders Down she’d probably be cussed bad over there

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                this for me is Peak Studio Ghibli

id rate it among my top films of all time and it was one of the few Ghibli films i got to see on the big screen.
                They showed a bunch of Ghibli films at the cinema here last year when Covid restrictions were tighter. I regret not going but my wife was super scared of visiting the cinema and I didn’t really feel like going without her(even if there was a chance she’d cuss the voice acting!)

Comment

Interestingly I've just looked up the English voice actors for Howl's Moving Castle and its an extraordinary high powered mix of acting talent.

Howl's Moving Castle (ハウルの動く城 , Howl no Ugoku Shiro) is the 14th animated fantasy film directed by Hayao Miyazaki, produced by Toshio Suzuki and animated by Studio Ghibli. It premiered at the Venice International Film Festival on September 5, 2004, and premiered in Toho cinemas in Japan on November 20, 2004.[1] It is based on the 1986 novel of the same name (translated in Japan as The Wizard's Howl and the Devil of Fire) by British writer Diana Wynne Jones and is about a young milliner named Sop

Comment

Watched Willy's Wonderland last night. First and foremost, the Cagester ... man, he's made for it and just so up for it. By the time he's busting out Wild At Heart dance moves at the pinball table you just know his badassery cannot be stopped. I love the daft, disposable, rip-up-the-rulebook approach to films like this. It's a dark (the back story is surprisingly grim) funhouse ride that might not end up in your best of the year list but it's definitely original and entertaining and might just have you punching the air with Cage.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      Watched Willy's Wonderland last night. First and foremost, the Cagester ... man, he's made for it and just so up for it. By the time he's busting out Wild At Heart dance moves at the pinball table you just know his badassery cannot be stopped. I love the daft, disposable, rip-up-the-rulebook approach to films like this. It's a dark (the back story is surprisingly grim) funhouse ride that might not end up in your best of the year list but it's definitely original and entertaining and might just have you punching the air with Cage.
                      its such a weird film, it kind of rips up the rule book but also embraces it with all the teen horror tropes, cowardliness, sex or being the nice guy wont see you last long in a horror film

theirs a theory they left cage silent to make him more like a character in a video game too so you can step into his shoes more easily, the pinball breaks and the energy drinks (power ups) leans into this video game theory too, its like the mini games between levels think the street fighter car or barrel breaking"

Last edited by Lebowski; 24-11-2021, 09:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post

theirs a theory they left cage silent to make him more like a character in a video game too so you can step into his shoes more easily, the pinball breaks and the energy drinks (power ups) leans into this video game theory too, its like the mini games between levels think the street fighter car or barrel breaking"
                        That makes a lot of sense. I was getting Travis Touchdown vibes in those bits.

Comment

Attempting to finally watch Fast and the Furious 9.

It's so, so bad. Not in a good way.

This is what people who have not seen any F&F movies think they are like. I feel embarrassed this exists.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                            Attempting to finally watch Fast and the Furious 9.

It's so, so bad. Not in a good way.

This is what people who have not seen any F&F movies think they are like. I feel embarrassed this exists.
                            I don't get how they have such a following. Anytime I've tried to watch one they make me cringe. It's like they've been written by a 12 year old.

Comment

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

(9 was pretty bad)

Comment

They've definitely waded very far into the OTT territory. I preferred F9 to F8 but I wish they'd at least attempt another entry like F5

Comment

Working...
                                X