This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Millennium Actress

This anime by Satoshi Kon tells the life story of a Japanese movie star, once a household name but now a recluse for 30 years. It's a reflection on memory, Japanese cinema and twentieth century Japanese history, framed around an interview being conducted with her at her home, which is further framed around a love story.

We dive in and out of the events in her real life as she relays them, and in and out of the films she starred in. The whole thing is woven together beautifully. It could've been a complete mess, but it works amazingly well.

There are laughs, too, and heroes and villains and a sort of Greek chorus in the form of the cameraman who's capturing the interview. A really great, moving story. Pure fun to watch.

Special mention to the new 4K disc from All The Anime which I watched on it. This disc unfortunately SUCKS. You have not seen DNR on anime until you have seen this disc. DNR'd and oversharpened into oblivion. People complained about this issue with the new Akira, and honestly I thought the DNR there was overstated as an issue. This is far, far worse, and doesn't even have HDR as a benefit. A real shame.

Red River

Rollicking, rip roaring Western from the late 40s. I'd never seen this one properly. It's a road movie in many ways, about a journey to take 9000 cattle from Texas to Missouri for sale, and the events and encounters along the way. Stirring escapism, and impressively realistic. They sure did use a hell of a lot of cattle as extras.

Quite long at over two hours, but fills its runtime. A perfect Sunday afternoon watch. The disc from Eureka is excellent.

Operation Condor

Jackie Chan does Indiana Jones - he's a bounty hunter type character here, on the trail of some lost Nazi gold buried in a secret base deep in the Sahara.

Tons of fun, this. Plenty of slapstick laughs (somewhat over-dependent on the gag of a towel being ripped off a woman who's just out of the shower, but still), and excellent action and stunts as you would expect. There is a chase sequence with Jackie on a dirtbike which is absolutely brilliant.

Upper tier Chan action, recommended to anyone who enjoys a light hearted kung fu romp. The disc from 88 is absolutely superb, somewhat oversaturated but I think it actually fits the cartoony vibe of the film really well. It looks gorgeous.

Comment

Hoodwinked
      First thing off the bat is the stupendously poor level of quality in the animation but despite setting the bar for the absolute worst experience this who-dunnit kids film is actually pretty fun. Nothing that will leave a lasting impression but some of the dialogue is surprisingly sharp and salvages what could have easily been a hot mess of a film.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
      Been a bit since we watched these and the kids wanted to so we made an attempt on them. Biggest issue with the first is the kids awful stilted performances but even though this is now *sharp intake of breath* twenty years old this year it holds up well and pretty much nails the right tone and balance out the gate.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
      One down we moved on to the second and it really hit how much of a lazy sequel this is, something not entirely at fault of the film but it's a more dull and dour recycling of the original film in a less interesting form. Competent but pretty meh.

The Lighthouse
      I'd been curious about this since first seeing a trailer for it. It's an interesting watch, of those that I did enjoy thanks to how much the performances of Dafoe and Pattinson are carrying it but also not one I'd likely sit through again.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        Operation Condor

Jackie Chan does Indiana Jones - he's a bounty hunter type character here, on the trail of some lost Nazi gold buried in a secret base deep in the Sahara.

Tons of fun, this. Plenty of slapstick laughs (somewhat over-dependent on the gag of a towel being ripped off a woman who's just out of the shower, but still), and excellent action and stunts as you would expect. There is a chase sequence with Jackie on a dirtbike which is absolutely brilliant.

Upper tier Chan action, recommended to anyone who enjoys a light hearted kung fu romp. The disc from 88 is absolutely superb, somewhat oversaturated but I think it actually fits the cartoony vibe of the film really well. It looks gorgeous.
        Trying not to double-dip, but I just have some poor dubbed DVD version that needs replacing.

Found the sexist humour a little anachronistic, but the action still stands.

That bit with the moving platforms!

Comment

Yeah the towel gags were pretty cringeworthy. Lots of lingering bum and sideboob shots as well which were pretty meh. The action is excellent though.

If you feel it's one that you'll watch again, I can wholeheartedly recommend the 88 Blu. It really is excellent.

Comment

Framed - Cracking little noir from 1949 that scores very few points for originality and doesn't suffer the fact one bit. The tropes are where all the fun's at. Classic drifter stitched up by a dangerous blonde and a dodgy geezer sets up a treat I enjoyed from start to finish. These are a great Sunday afternoon watch.

Possessor - This is a great idea, possessing a host to carry out an assassination, that gets madder as the film goes on. It's as extreme as you've heard, with amazing special effects by Arrow Podcast's Dan Martin. But it's not just a shocker, there's a decent film in there, not quite on par with Pa Cronenberg though.

Comment

[MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION] Was Framed via the Indicator Noir Vol 2 box?

Comment

[MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION] Was Framed via the Indicator Noir Vol 2 box?
                No, it was in the Imprint box set. I do want those Indicators though, they look amazing. And yes, there’s some title crossover with Framed (actually 1947, I got that wrong) and The Garment Jungle.

Comment

[MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION] Aha very interesting. Can I ask why you went for the Imprint set over the Indicator ones? Or are you planning on both?

Comment

@Atticus Aha very interesting. Can I ask why you went for the Imprint set over the Indicator ones? Or are you planning on both?
                    Mainly for Alias Nick Beal ... it's one I'd been wanting to see for a while I do want those Indicator sets too though

Comment

Hadn't heard of that one but it sounds excellent. Must try and track it down myself.

Comment

Hadn't heard of that one but it sounds excellent. Must try and track it down myself.
                        It’s not quite as good as I was hoping tbh ... but I was drawn by the Twilight Zone flavour set-up.

Comment

Twilight Zone was exactly what I thought of when I read the synopsis after you mentioned it. Shame it's not brilliant, but it's still one I'd like to see for sure.

Comment

A Promising Young Woman. Really enjoyed it.
                            Just when I thought the film was coming to a close, it turned out that there was still a good chunk more to go.

Powerful stuff.

Comment

Watched Reprisal the 2018 Bruce Willis film about a series of violent heists carried out by one guy.

Never heard of it and not surprised.

Looks and feels like a medium budget TV series pilot with the ending leaving it open for that.

Bruce Willis is featured more as a cameo and plays his role strangely muted and looking like he is unconvinced by the whole scenario. Hardly surprising either as it has vast plot holes and cliches of the genre abound. Only good thing is that the the action scenes are mostly well filmed and choreographed even if also cliche ridden.

Avoid.
                              Last edited by fallenangle; 12-02-2021, 23:13.

Comment

Bran Stroker’s Draculea

Visually sumptuous, but whoever edited it must’ve caught syphilis themselves. It was jumping all over the place, like a Spongebob episode. Maybe that was intentional. Seems like it, after reading some reviews and interviews, but it felt like a parody of horror films.

Otherwise, a lot of the imagery was genuinely frightening(Lucy in the crypt. Jesus), and The Count’s makeup was phenomenal. Speaking of which, Gary Oldman was spellbinding. And I could ignore Winona and Keanu’s English accents because the film sounded sooo good, with creepy sounds and voices flying around the place.

A feast for the eyes and ears, especially if you watch it in the dark with earphones like I did!

5/7

Comment

Working...
                                X