Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All This Mayhem - Documentary film (currently on Prime) about Tas and Ben Pappas, two Australian skaters who were at one stage ranked 1 and 2 in the world in vert comps. I knew they rose quickly and fell pretty hard but I had no idea how bad it was. There's nostalgia for anyone who ever skated back in the 90s and it's interesting to see what happens to an extreme personality when you add fame and money ... but ultimately it's very sad.

Last edited by Atticus; 01-05-2021, 07:50.

Comment

[MENTION=345]Neon Ignition[/MENTION] what I ultimately took from the Snyder cut was that Whedon did a pretty good job with what he had and that Snyder was unable to do improve on it and in fact just made it overly long and a bit weird in parts.

Comment

The Snyder version is definitely overlong, he's indulged himself a lot with it and if you were to strip it down I don't think you'd; come out with something a million miles away from what Whedon delivered but the loss of Cyborg's storyline as well as the key Flash scenes are the biggest omissions that I feel work to make the ending pay off (alongside the climax being much better than Whedons)

Comment

I've seen Nobody, Godzilla and Mortal Kombat in the last week or so. I never thought Godzilla would be the weak link. Mortal Kombat is very good everything considered and Nobody is a bit of a less sexy John Wick but with a more likeable tone imo.

Comment

Because I'm watching the TV show and my wife couldn't remember anything about what happened before, we rewatched Watchmen last night (even though the show follows the comic rather than movie - it's close enough). I haven't seen it in years because it's too long. On this watch, it's too long. It's patchy, strung together in moments but that's very true to the source material, and feels a bit inconsistent but it's still a surprisingly accomplished adaptation of very difficult material, in my view. Some of the dialogue and acting doesn't hold up, especially under some dodgy makeup, and while I think overall they could have done more to adapt it and streamline it for a movie, I still think the change to the end makes zero sense but, on the whole, it's a good watch.

Comment

I watched Flash Gordon for the first time since I was a kid. There’s a lot of nostalgia here but it was just so much fun to watch. The 5-disc UHD release is such an impressive package too. Beyond the sheer amount of content and stuff the new 4K scan of the film is a thing of beauty. The colours are astonishing. A real treat for the eyes. Interestingly, as it’s a director approved master, he made the decision (after the new transfer made them even more noticeable) to digitally remove the (now even more) visible wire work. I’m okay with changes like that. Overall a super package, super watch and super addition to the UHD library.

Comment

Mortal Kombat
                It was decent in an 'I haven't had any good new releases in 18 months' kind of way. It was absolutely terrible likely any other release window though. It certainly felt true to the old films and the games though so props for that. Doesn't need a sequel though as it just compounds that the franchises storyline is utter bobbins.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                  I watched Flash Gordon for the first time since I was a kid. There’s a lot of nostalgia here but it was just so much fun to watch. The 5-disc UHD release is such an impressive package too. Beyond the sheer amount of content and stuff the new 4K scan of the film is a thing of beauty. The colours are astonishing. A real treat for the eyes. Interestingly, as it’s a director approved master, he made the decision (after the new transfer made them even more noticeable) to digitally remove the (now even more) visible wire work. I’m okay with changes like that. Overall a super package, super watch and super addition to the UHD library.

I won a copy of Flash Gordon, but have yet to watch it.

However, I've worn the FLASH shirt loads!

Comment

I watched Life After Flash last night which is a feature length doc from 2017 which features maybe of those involved in Flash Gordon but mainly focusses on Sam J Jones. It's a heart-warming watch in many ways, the ups and downs and then ups for Jones. He comes across as a genuine nice guy who blames no one but himself for any bad choices he made in the past, and is grateful for the man he is and the life he has now. Some great nerdy convention stuff too which I love. This was one of the 5 discs included in the box set and it's a great addition. I've got another disc full of features to watch (on top of those I already watched on the feature disc) and then I might dive back into the film with Brian Blessed's commentary which is supposed to be very enjoyable.

Comment

I watched Mortal Kombat last night. I enjoyed it! It's far from a cinematic classic and it's a bit messy, struggling to keep focus in places and reminded me of High School Musical in the sense that the one thing that movie failed to deliver was the actual High School Musical. But the characters do what they need to do, some of the action is good and it's a bit nasty yet entertaining in places.

I must admit, I prefer the 90s version though. But this is enjoyable.

Comment

We watched as a family, The Mitchells Vs The Machines on Netflix and bloody loved it.

Something for everyone, with a lot of heart and a lot of laughs.

QC approved.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          We watched as a family, The Mitchells Vs The Machines on Netflix and bloody loved it.

QC approved.
                          Had no idea it was on Netflix. Will have to gather the fam together.

Comment

Anti Life (Breach) 2020. a low budget Bruce Willis and Thomas Jane sci fi, i managed to sit through maybe 20mins before i started to use fast forward and the thumbnail's to watch the pretty much the rest of the movie, and pretty much never missed anything, this is easily one of the worst films i have ever seen. it not even up to B movie sci if films of the 80s.

been there done that story, earth is on the brink and they have to escape to another planet, but an alien parasite somehow gets on board and then the usual people die, get infected change and stuff.

it takes (rips off) pretty much any sci fi horror film. save 90 mins if your life, go pull out your finger nails or something instead.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

QC approved.

Yep, we've seen it in semi-random chunks because it was mostly for the kids but it's been so goo me and the missus are going to watch it again one evening on our own. Genuinely funny and definitely one of the better films out during pandemic.

Comment

Escape From Alcatraz
                                Our '79 tour of film has begun with Eastwood's prison escape movie. Despite it being a fairly quiet film with little to no drama it was a good watch still and a great start to working through the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X