This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    I finally watched one I'd been meaning to see for an age...

Under The Shadow

Sounds ace. That’s going straight on the watch-list.

Comment

Enjoyed that tonight on Film4: A Quiet Place.

Not seen it before and whilst it doesn't shy away from what have become survival horror cliches (Alien series, War Of The Worlds (Remake) and dozens of lesser films like The Darkest Hour) its done really well, has some great performances (Emily Blunt in particular) and racks up the tension so effectively you can happily ignore that.

Comment

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkabhan
        Still probably overall the best entry thanks to the time element mixing up the formula, this one utterly lost the kids attention though as it focuses much more on the trio and new characters rather than action and beasts.

Piranha
        One more of the 78 line up watched, this was so weird at first especially with the little walking stop motion creature that added nothing to the film either. But once it hits straight up Jaws rip-off territory it improves a fair bit and I liked that it didn't treat kids with kid gloves. Hokey but just about fun enough.

Comment

I was going to say Piranha was one of the first films James Cameron worked on, but it was Piranha II: The Spawning.

"I can honestly say that Piranha II is the best flying piranha movie ever made." - James Cameron

Comment

Detective Story - Nice police noir from 1951staring Kirk Douglas as an edgy detective with a huge appetite for justice but a cupboard full of his own demons and flaws. It's based on a play and very much feels like a play with nearly all of the film set in the precinct. It's about the blurred lines between right and wrong ... and the warmth in a glimmer of goodwill and understanding.

Die Hard 3 - I've watched the first three with one of my sons. I remembered 3 as being really good but it only starts really good. There's some amazing on location filming throughout New York but as a film it's over-long and gets duller as it goes on. I think we need to move onto pasture new for our action next fix. Saying that, the boy has loved all 3 and that's the main thing.

Comment

Tigers Are Not Afraid (Shudder). Excellent mashup of horror, fairytale and grim realism in a plot about a group of kids orphaned by drug wars in Mexico. One of those films that transcends its genre to become something more interesting. And only 83 minutes long! A win-win in my book.

Comment

The Last Sharknado: It's About Time
                After a ropey first ten minutes, this picks up well. Less cameos than usual. A satisfying end to the series.

Comment

I watched Blue Ruin via Netflix and thought it was a really tense little revenge thriller.

It's by the director of Green Room, so if you've seen that, you know how intense his films can get.

Probably just go in knowing as little as possible and just enjoy the story.

@Atticus, I don't like Die Hard 3 as much as 2. They undo all the work of the first two films by having him divorced Holly and a bit of a wreck. On a recent rewatch, I soon tired McClaine and Zeus just shouting at each other for 90 minutes.

Comment

Rewatched A Quiet place on Film4 yesterday to see whether it still stood up on second viewing. It did - good film of its type I think.

Comment

Watched 37.2 le matin (Betty Blue) after picking it up on Blu-ray cheap a wee while back. It has two discs in the box with a much longer directors cut which I hadn’t seen before. Still such a good film even though it’s hitting the three hour mark now. Anglade and Dalle are brilliant together in it. Yeah it’s probably best remembered for all the erotic stuff, not to mention the poster adorning student flats all over the place, but it’s actually a good story with plenty of humor. Watching Betty’s decline and the surprising conclusion is still powerful after all these years.
                      I wonder if I can get that poster somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                        Watched 37.2 le matin (Betty Blue) after picking it up on Blu-ray cheap a wee while back. It has two discs in the box with a much longer directors cut which I hadn’t seen before. Still such a good film even though it’s hitting the three hour mark now. Anglade and Dalle are brilliant together in it. Yeah it’s probably best remembered for all the erotic stuff, not to mention the poster adorning student flats all over the place, but it’s actually a good story with plenty of humor. Watching Betty’s decline and the surprising conclusion is still powerful after all these years.
                        I wonder if I can get that poster somewhere?
                        It's a classic. And yeah, there's something special about that poster. And the soundtrack ... I always loved that carnival sounding piece. I remember watching the long version in our local arts cinema in the early 90s ... they granted the audience an intermission thankfully as the chairs were pretty harsh (basically like school/community centre style stackable ones ). Got to admit, I do enjoy the first hour a lot more than the last.

Comment

I’m trying to imagine the modern take on that poster. It would have the leads stacked vertically all looking off diagonally into the distance. Betty with a fork in hand prominent to the foreground of the image. With little splashes around the lower parts of the poster with the robbery and yellow Merc promising some action. Sigh.

Comment

The Blue Dahlia - Another classic noir / crime whodunnit with a murdered cheatin’ wife and a bunch of likely perps. It doesn’t really get by on plot this one. I really didn’t care who ‘did it’ or even how or why ... but the characters and dialogue were ace, with endless quotable lines.

Comment

Escape from Pretoria.

Pretty good prison movie, even Daniel Radcliffe’s presence doesn’t spoil it. True story as well.

Comment

I rewatched David Cronenberg's SCANNERS, earlier.

Surprisingly, I'd taped it off The Horror Channel about eight months ago.

But it was GRRRRRREAT.

I think I've dissed this within the last eighteen months on here, at some point, I described it as "boring".

But it ISN'T!!! I must have been proper depressed back then!!!!!!!

Nah, this is an ACTION-PACKED Cronenberg epic, I only remembered the exploding head from the last time I saw it...prob in about August 1999(???????!)

Anyhoo, was NOT expecting the shotgun carnage that ensues!!! This is deffo Cronenberg making an action movie, I can't ever believe I found it boring!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X