This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    I remember the first section of that film being fantastic. Needless to say, I had know idea the director was, well, what he is.
    Woah. I can’t believe the guy has such a successful Hollywood career after that. That’s horrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      Woah. I can’t believe the guy has such a successful Hollywood career after that. That’s horrifying.
      Had to look too.

Yeah, f*** that guy.

Comment

Yeah, it makes me wonder what it would take to kill a career.

Comment

Imagine working on a project and your boss is a convincted paedo. How do people do that?

Anyway, on a less horrendous and depressing note (although only slightly), I watched 1988's Red Heat this morning.

This is buddy cop with a great premise and execution which ranges from mediocre to downright bad.

Arnie plays Captain Danko, a gruff Soviet policeman who goes to Chicago on the trail of the Russian gangster who killed his partner. He's quickly paired up there with James Belushi's freewheeling, wisecracking detective. And boy oh boy do this odd couple encounter some hijinks on the way to bagging the bad guy and overcoming their differences to become fast friends in the process.

Except, they really don't. The main problem with this film is the script. The story is uninteresting, confusing and badly structured, and the characters are barely fleshed out. They're entirely two dimensional. Danko, for example. What does his character want? To catch the bad guy. Oh, sure, what does he REALLY want? To catch the bad guy. That's it. That's his whole character. Belushi's detective is no better, and their relationship barely progresses during the film, due in part to the script and not helped by a lack of chemistry between the two actors.

There is some action, which is OK, although there's less of it than you might think. And there's a car chase in Greyhound buses which wins points for originality, at least. But overall this is simply a dull film which lacks energy and coherence. Not recommended, and a waste of a good premise.

I watched this on Netflix. You can buy it on 4K Blu-ray though, should the spirit move you.
          Last edited by wakka; 19-06-2021, 14:41.

Comment

The only thing I remember about Red Heat is Arnie saying (or something along the lines of) he had to 'feed the parrot', and Belushi enquiring if that was Russian for jerking off. I remember nothing else

Comment

Chaos Walking
              I tried the book and found it unreadable. Which is a shame because I like Patrick Ness. This adaptation has been beset with problems throughout its production, and I can kinda see that in the film. Thankfully, I expected very little, so I enjoyed it way more than I would have had the book clicked.

Tom Holland plays a Revenant-lite version of Peter Parker, but he proves to be an affable and very watchable actor. Daisy Ridley is somewhat by-the-numbers but there’s nothing wrong with her performance. The story itself has a predictable twist, and it’s all very lightweight, but the settings and pacing are decent enough. A couple of unpleasant moments seem inserted just for shock value for the younger audience, and serve zero purpose otherwise. I liked the central plot idea about The Noise, but it feels like there’s a lot of potential for thematic conflict and exploration not tapped.

Still, I quite enjoyed it. 3/5 bletches.

Comment

I watched The Dead Don't Die. What a cast. Adam Driver, Tilda Swinton, Danny Glover and Bill Murray, who is always entertaining to watch. Put them together in a zombie movie about small town cops and it should be great. It's not. I didn't hate it but it's not even a fraction of the movie it could have been. The dialogue is so awkward and stilted that not even Murray seems to bring his usual charm. And the attempts to break the fourth wall, referencing the script itself, for example, just didn't land for me at all.

An awkward watch that didn't really deliver.

Comment

Agreed, it's not the sum of all its parts.
                  It doesn't succeed on any level and for me, wasn't scary, exciting, funny or engaging.
                  I'd also say skip it.

Comment

Finally saw "Nobody"in a real life cinema with my mates.
                    Seats weren't the best because of social distancing but twas a minor issue and we probably could have moved.

Film itself was brilliant fun and Odenkirk was a really likeable lead and his family were great too.

It's quite a small story, so I'd avoid the trailer if you don't want to spoil it, but even if you have, it's still a neat actioner.
                    It's directed by Ilya Naishuller, who did Hardcore Henry, plus you have the 87North action team (John Wick, Atomic Blonde) and produced by David Leitch (John Wick), so you can guess how good the action will be.

Comment

The Killers - Tough crime thriller staring Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner. I'm not normally a fan of stories told in flashback but it works well here, piecing the jigsaw together piece by piece.

I Still Know What You Did Last Summer - This is IKWYDLS on a Caribbean island ... which gives it a bit of an R-rated Scooby Doo vibe. And if that sounds awesome, well it isn't. It's nowhere near as good as the first, of course it isn't

SMG was by far the strongest cast member, shame she was only in the one

, but it has it's moments. I didn't know Jack Black was in it until Jack Black appeared playing his usual Jack Black self. Not sure where the third will go but we'll find out soon I guess. He still knows y'know ...

Comment

We took our first trip to the cinema since Wonder Woman 1984 to watch 'In The Heights'. Its a modern day musical/opera involving Lin Manuel Miranda and some of the cast from Hamilton and is a Broadway adaptation. (We only watched Hamilton on Disney+ recently but also a fan of that for context)
                        It's lengthy, not a lot 'happens' but we both absolutely loved it and were in floods of tears at a certain point. In terms of connecting with the characters, my wife was rooting for certain relationships within the first 5 minutes and never gave a toss about Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone for the whole of La-la-land.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          I watched The Dead Don't Die. What a cast. Adam Driver, Tilda Swinton, Danny Glover and Bill Murray, who is always entertaining to watch. Put them together in a zombie movie about small town cops and it should be great. It's not. I didn't hate it but it's not even a fraction of the movie it could have been. The dialogue is so awkward and stilted that not even Murray seems to bring his usual charm. And the attempts to break the fourth wall, referencing the script itself, for example, just didn't land for me at all.

An awkward watch that didn't really deliver.
                          I posted about this a while back, its such a weird film and its one that lands for you or doesn't, I'm glad i watched it as its such a bizare piece of cinema. Murrys utter nonchalance to some bizarre and grizzly situations is fantastically played as is Adam Drivers.

Comment

Cruella
                            I honestly don't know who this is intended for or why Disney plans on making the same mistake in producing a sequel to it. It's half Devil Wears Prada knock off and half... just... trash? Couldn't be more void of content to appease your kids and utterly lacking in compelling reason to exist. Over long, over dull, badly acted and badly written.

Luca
                            Given Pixar's run I've kept expectations low on this one. It's a nice film in reality, light and fun, but Disney+ feels very at one with the film. It's a very small scale story that just kind of ticks along at a quiet and unthreatening pace. You know where it's going the entire time and a sweet charm is almost single handedly carrying the film. It's like a tasty side-dish to the meals the studio is capable of producing.

Nobody
                            Fun, we did enjoy this but it was hard at times to shake off how borderline to a lawsuit it is to ripping off Wick. It's got just enough to it to keep it feeling worthwhile enough in its own right though.

Comment

Supes, what's the last film that made you go "**** me, that was AWESOME!" *fist pump* ?

Everything is 5/10 for you.

Apart from Cruella.

Comment

To be honest it feels like it's been a really long time. Definitely COVID has played a strong part in limiting opportunities, at a glance I hold Spider-verse and MI Fallout up well and they're from 2018. In terms of genuinely walking out of a cinema thinking "Jesus that was good" it might be all the way back to Fury Road in 2015 or It: Chapter One in 2017. Whilst I love watching films I'd agree that I find most fall within a spectrum of 4-7/10, the last few years in particularly studios major releases have felt increasingly like they're production lined rather than effort making.

Comment

Working...
                                X