Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bloody love sci-fi, but just can't seem to click with Blade Runner.

Comment

Yeah, I actually don't love Blade Runner either. Don't get me wrong, the production design is absolutely 11/10 - it's such a cool world. The soundtrack is great, too. But I don't think the story or the characters are much cop at all. It's very much style over substance.

Can imagine it was cool to see those amazing sets on the big screen, though

Comment

You Cannot Kill David Arquette - I knew the bare minimum going in. I knew he'd involved himself in wrestling a long time ago and it didn't go down well with the fans, and this was him wanting to take care of unfinished business to prove he wasn't taking the piss and has a genuine love for it. What I didn't know was the struggles he has with his mental health and his incredible will and determination to pursue a dream. I have to admire him and also his family for standing by him (inc his wife that isn't Courtney Cox anymore but looks quite like Courtney Cox). There are some sweet moments along the way but also darkness in the form of the wrestling subculture that exists in the lower leagues. It's nothing new but what happens to David in a match in an LA club is genuinely unpleasant and scary.

Comment

Nick Gage, man. Total bell. Believe it or not, he has a match with Chris Jericho this week.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
            Nick Gage, man. Total bell. Believe it or not, he has a match with Chris Jericho this week.
            At first I thought it a bit of a stretch from acting in Jiu Jitsu to actually fighting in a ring.
            Then I thought, actually it's not that bizarre a move from a man who just made a film where he said nothing and another where he rescues his pig.
            Finally, I realised You're not talking about Nic Cage and I was a little disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
              Yeah, I knew nothing about him but he seems a bit of (a lot of) a cockroach.

I read that as Nic Cage too initially

Comment

Haha both. It would be much better if it was Cage.

Comment

Till Death

A pretty good romp despite Megan Fox as the lead. Gets better as it goes on actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    I watched The Meg. It’s got a big shark in it.
                    Jason Statham: Shark Puncher.

Great film. Just silly enough!

Comment

I hadn't had enough of Costner, Bacon and Wayne Knight so I watched JFK last night. No matter what anyone says about what is the truth and what isn't, the assassination and the events around it beg for questions to be asked. This was the director's cut which seems the default on blu-ray, clocking in at a mighty three and a half hours. It famously uses many different film stocks, both real and made for the film, to have a specific effect on the viewer. This never comes across as a sneaky attempt to trick the viewer, it makes sense. And the crux of the story itself comes from On the Trail of the Assassins, the published account of DA Jim Garrison and his investigations. I don't think many would watch this and think that's exactly what happened, but its desired effect might make you ask questions and ponder a nation's legacy of corruption. It's endlessly fascinating. The embargoed files around the event were supposed to be locked away until something like 2030. I seem to remember Trump lobbying to get them released early but it fizzled out iirc. Maybe he found out who the real rulers were.

Comment

Never seen JFK as it seems a bit pointless when it's all just conjecture.

I am enjoying the Stephen King book, 11/22/63, about a man who tries to stop the assassination of JFK, and I'm loving it.

I'm half-way through Jolt, which is good middle-tier action fun so far, but it's doing my nut in that it's set in New York, but it's clearly shot in London and on a film set.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                          Never seen JFK as it seems a bit pointless when it's all just conjecture.
                          Like the Stephen King book, if you consider it a work of fiction based around some real life events rather than a documentary (which it's not), it's entertaining in its own right.

Comment

Cheers, will do.

I find Costner quite bland, so there are a few films of his I've meant to see that just haven't interested me: Field of Dreams, JFK, Waterworld, Dances With Wolves and most of his other films, to be honest.

Comment

It's not all conjecture. It's based on a factual book by a District Attorney ... the only man to ever bring someone to trial as a conspirator in the assassination with links to the CIA. That part is a fact. There is also the biggest question of how a shooter in a building behind the car can fire a bullet that blows the back of the presidents head out. Then there's the magic bullet theory. There's a LOT that doesn't add up. But there's lot of Stone's agenda in there too.

11.22.63 is brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                It's not all conjecture. It's based on a factual book by a District Attorney ... the only man to ever bring someone to trial as a conspirator in the assassination with links to the CIA. That part is a fact. There is also the biggest question of how a shooter in a building behind the car can fire a bullet that blows the back of the presidents head out. Then there's the magic bullet theory. There's a LOT that doesn't add up. But there's lot of Stone's agenda in there too.
                                I guess I don't know enough about it to know what's true or what's not and that's really the issue. That's why I kind of have to take it as not being fact. Otherwise you slip from rationality into, well, irrationality. Even in what you describe, it goes from one fact to 'big questions' and that's where things can tend to get a little wild. So I just tried to enjoy the film for what it is - a period fiction piece based around a real event. I don't know enough to consider it anything else. Although I do remember lots of people at the time just assuming it was all fact and that's where things get very muddy when making a film like this.

Anyway, it's a good film regardless.

Comment

Working...
                                X