Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It shall return, maybe when least expected.

The MCU is one of the most astonishing achievements in modern filmmaking, in terms of continuity, scope and cohesiveness. We won’t see the like again. DC has failed. Star Wars has had mixed success. The Monsterverse is done. In years to come, there’ll be theses written on how the MCU came to work so well. Back in the 60s and 70s, Japanese cinema was full of extended series of Yakuza flicks, but they have knocked that on the head.

Comment

^I'll deffo check some out, I also *did* see and quite like IRON MAN. I think when I get a much bigger telly, I'll be changing my mind, I'll probably be in the mood for spectacle.

But deffo not at ten feet away from a 32"!

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
        ^I'll deffo check some out, I also *did* see and quite like IRON MAN. I think when I get a much bigger telly, I'll be changing my mind, I'll probably be in the mood for spectacle.
        I like that you're choosing MOFO over FOMO, concentrating on films that tickle your balls rather than trying to enjoy films that don't.

Comment

^hey, QC, it wasn't meant as a dig. I feel really sad when I lose joy for stuff. I remember queuing up outside the ABC in the early '80s to see SUPERMAN 2, proper giddy. And when that film exceeded my expectations...WOW!!!!

I actually find my love for Stuart Gordon's movies has increased. I rewatched FROM BEYOND last year and it was an 11/10. And the COLOURS!!!!!

I'd recommend you check out DAGON, this is my thing alone but tell me that did not inspire Resi 4!!!!!!
          Yeah, I know it wasn't mate, don't sweat it.
          Just made me laugh that my last film watched was a Marvel one after a couple of posts moaning about them!

Just finished The Parallax View and really enjoyed it, but it's interesting watching a film that feels differently paced to a lot of modern films.
          Looks great, with some fantastic unnerving shots and a slow trickle of paranoia snowballing to an avalanche.

Comment

Bad Boys For Life

My girlfriend absolutely loves these films for some reason, so we've recently worked our way (work being the operative word in some cases) through the series. It was our first time viewing this entry, and I'm pleased to say it's comfortably the best one. It's not often that you can say that about a sequel, let alone a threequel!

This one isn't directed by Bay, and so we're relieved of the pointlessly frenetic pace and shouty dialogue that marred the second film in particular. Instead we're given an entirely formulaic but very well executed buddy cop in the Lethal Weapon tradition, that isn't afraid to include some quieter, character-based scenes between the action set pieces.

There are two things that really help this film.

One, Smith and Lawrence turn in great, high energy performances, and as usual have excellent chemistry. They were always the best thing about the first two films and they give it their all here.

Two, the script and story are good. Sure, it's pretty hard to buy most of what's going on if you think about it for more than a nanosecond, but there's lots to like in terms of how the story embraces the fact that the characters are much older, rather than shying way from it.

Plus, it excises a bunch of boring stuff from the previous films - we don't hear about Mike's trust fund any more, and his relationship with Marcus's sister is given only a passing mention. Instead we get a fresh twist on the characters' backstory, which I think is a lot of fun. There's clear inspiration from the Fast and Furious franchise's increasing focus on the importance of family in its later entries, which was a great call and works well.

The action sequences, which are of course the main event, do deliver. There's a particularly memorable moment featuring a motorbike sidecar and a helicopter. The film also makes better use of Miami as a location for these scenes than either of the first two entries (which tended to have some flashy establishing shots and then a load of gun fights set in a warehouse or a tunnel or something). There are slightly fewer set pieces than in 2, and the film is better for it. We also care about them more because there are an increased number of scenes showing why they matter.

So, recommended. A lot of fun. And much better than the first two. I watched it on UHD Blu-ray, where it has eyeball frying levels of HDR contrast which actually work really well with the film's brash, colourful look. And the DTS sound mix is excellent, with bullets whizzing around your living room and cars swerving past your sofa. The only slight fly in the ointment is that the video is visibly from a 2K digital intermediate, so doesn't deliver quite the sharpness that it could if it was true 4K. But the advantages of the HDR and WCG implementation for this film are significant - well worth watching it on this format if you can.
            Last edited by wakka; 15-04-2021, 12:11.

Comment

The Last Shaman

Available on Netflix, this documentary is about a young, suicidal American man, who, in a last ditch attempt to save his life, travels to Peru seeking traditional shamans to administer ayahuasca - a psychedelic, plant based medicine. Really interesting film that touches on how western culture is making so many young people sick, how little doctors and psychiatrists understand about the mind, and how psychedelic experiences can create a sense of love and self-worth in people.

Comment

The Death of Joy, in a nutshell.
                & ‘Anhedonia’ was the original title for Woody Allen’s ‘Annie Hall’, for anyone on this knowledgeable board who didn’t already know...

Comment

^I didn't but always interesting to find new facts, plus was always my fave Woody Allen film...though it's been about a quarter of a century since I watched it last!

Comment

Creepshow 2 - These are pretty average stories but the hokey EC Horror vibe does appeal. The middle story is probably the best with four college kids heading to the lake and being terrorised by a monster/tarpaulin. The most shocking part is when the (seemingly) good guy wakes up next to his dead buddy's sleeping girlfriend and while contemplating their probable doom he decides to start removing her clothing and copping a feel. proper wtf moment. Maybe that's why it's called Creepshow. Speaking of questionable behaviour ...

Promising Young Woman - First things first, tremendous performance by Carey Mulligan. I can see where the awards are coming from. She's brilliant. Best thing about the film though is the expertly handled balance on which way its going ... you never quite know.

Comment

Gonna be watching BLADE 2 tonight, for the first time, accompanied by some John Lee bourbon and full-shug Cherry Coke.

Can't wait! A del Toro flick I haven't seen, plus the baddie was in Bros!!! And Wesley kicking vampire arse, of course. How can that even fail???!!!!!!!

Comment

I watched Tenet on Friday night. Understood most of it. Loved it.

Watched Tenet on Saturday night too because I loved it so much on Friday.

Brilliant!!

Comment

I would have hoped you watched it again on Friday because you loved it so much on Saturday.

I haven’t seen the film so I’m not entirely sure that comment works.

Comment

It would be more like watching it in reverse and finishing on Friday.

Comment

Oh you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                It would be more like watching it in reverse and finishing on Friday.
                                Ay what point would you cross your own path if you watched it on Friday and Saturday both normal and reverse

Comment

Working...
                                X