Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers guys, got Netflix, will check it out this week!!! Haven't been on Netflix for ages, I seem to use the Sky Box to tape Freeview stuff more!

Comment

The Ladykillers - A proper British classic. So funny and so dark, I loved every second. In the mood for more Ealings now.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
        I seem to use the Sky Box to tape Freeview stuff more!
        I still say "tape" stuff too!

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          The Ladykillers - A proper British classic. So funny and so dark, I loved every second. In the mood for more Ealings now.
          Really need to watch this. Guessing you scooped the UHD? I'm tempted by that collector's edition but unsure whether I should hold out for the standard version they'll release down the line no doubt. I spend too much on Blu-rays

Owning Mahowny

Philip Seymour Hoffman is a well liked, mild mannered bank employee with a secret. He's embezzling millions of dollars, and funnelling it all into his gambling addiction.

This is a great and pretty obscure indie film from the 2000s. You can tell it's done on a low budget - I can only assume they devoted all the cash to the actors, which was totally the right decision, as Hoffman, Minnie Driver and John Hurt are all excellent.

The film has two emotional states - overwhelming stress and overwhelming relief, that mirror how it might feel to be an inveterate gambler on a never-ending losing streak. It pinballs between them for just under two hours and it's gripping throughout.

Recommended. It's a true story, too! Only available on DVD, this one.

Soul

I've been alerted that my thoughts might be considered spoilers. They only really tell you the setup though, so feel free to read the below if you are happy to know the basics of what it's about. But if you like to go in cold, best to avoid

Interesting little film. It follows a middle aged music teacher who finally achieves his lifelong dream of being a successful jazz musician, then promptly falls down a manhole and dies. That's in the first five minutes, and it's a really cool opening.

He goes to a sort of cheerful purgatory where souls are sorted before passed down to earth for installation into newborn babies, and manages to get himself back on earth. Body swap hijinks ensue as he tries to get himself back into his real body in time for the biggest gig of his life that evening.

I really wanted this to be better than it actually was. Very much a curate's egg - the grounded stuff, like the main character's relationship with his mother, and his visit to the barbershop, are brilliantly done. The more outlandish elements, like the pirate ship yogi in purgatory, fall completely flat for me.

The main problem it has is that there is simply too much plot, and too many complicated rules about how the soul world works. I think it needed some drastic edits to the script. It also lacks any really genuinely funny jokes.

Love that it's an animated film about a Black middle aged school teacher who dies in the first five minutes though. As I say, I think this has unmet potential.

It's intriguing though, and worth a watch. On Disney+.

Last edited by wakka; 06-01-2021, 12:49.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
            Really need to watch this. Guessing you scooped the UHD? I'm tempted by that collector's edition but unsure whether I should hold out for the standard version they'll release down the line no doubt. I spend too much on Blu-rays
            Haha, your Spider Sense was correct. Yes, total blind buy but I haven’t bought any films for a while so thought I’d take a punt. What a genuinely great watch ... then dived straight into the special features afterwards Super nice box set too.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              Splash
              I haven't seen this for many years but I have seen it many times as a kid, seeing it now though the quirkiness isn't as strong as it once felt but the appreciation of the work Hannah does underwater is much higher. Pre-CG days it's not hard to imagine how hard this film must have been for her to film and yet it's stronger than any modern day equivalent would put out. The film (though released earlier) is incredibly close to Little Mermaid in many places too whilst Candy is somewhat wasted.
              Uncut? Or the hair-arse version?

Comment

Hair arsed!

Comment

I love reading all your movie reviews. It's much more fun than reading Leonard Maltin books. The great unifier and it's really nice to see what floats everyone's boats.

Nothing of relevance here, just a warm fuzzy.

Comment

Watched a film called SNOWPIERCER, tonite. Taped off Film4 last week.

Apparently, it's quite a big thang, now, Netflix series n' all. I know nothing of that. I just taped it 'cos the plotline sounded cool when I clicked on it in the listings.

But, whatever. Did I like it? Especially with it being pretty damn long, n' all???? (I did not know this before viewing).

It was pretty cool. I was expecting a linearity to the setting, given it's all set on a massively long train but it really keeps your attention as they all head to the front of the train.

It was...very different. Did I LIKE it???...yeh.

Was it one of the best films I've ever seen and would I wanna watch it again?

Nah.

It was...OK. Priddy good. Priddy, priddy good...

...but NAH. Not again.

Comment

Can't even understand how this would get a series, tbh???????!!!!!!!

It's a ****ing TRAIN!!!

It's such a linear, tubular setting, there's not much scope for dimension. And do we really need LORE for this???!!!

Comment

Also, can't believe I forgot it but I also watched a movie called BAD MATCH, the night before the aforementioned one.

The Horror Channel. A stalker movie.

Actually, quite deece. I was expecting it to be ultrashide but the first hour or so is pretty absorbing, quite a good little study of present day dating.

Sadly, runs out of steam after about 70mins and becomes your typical violent, slashery thang, loses its sparkle and intrigue, it does.

Rating? A good 6.77/10, a noble failure but one of the better low-budget horrors on THC at the mo!

Comment

The Princess Bride
                          Attracting the ire of many, I haven't seen this since I was little but seeing it now it's decent but still leaves me curious as to the cult it has. Whilst it mixes adventure, comedy, fantasy etc genres together it's very light doses of each never really fully committing to any of them so there's a light and somewhat unique air about it but nothing that memorable either.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            The Princess Bride
                            Attracting the ire of many, I haven't seen this since I was little but seeing it now it's decent but still leaves me curious as to the cult it has. Whilst it mixes adventure, comedy, fantasy etc genres together it's very light doses of each never really fully committing to any of them so there's a light and somewhat unique air about it but nothing that memorable either.
                            For me, I think it lies in a few things.

It's utterly, utterly charming.

It feels like a Disney-style fairytale but in live-action, which is funny considering Disney seem incapable of doing that outside of parody.

It's kinda low-budget for a fantasy movie, but it succeeds in spite of that.

Also it's very, very quotable. I think I know the entire film, start to finish. It's like Galaxy Quest in that regard.

Comment

I think in terms of comedically the Billy Crystal section didn't land with me but I was definitely caught immediately when Cook declared 'Mawwaige!'

Comment

Alias Nick Beal - Bit of a noir/supernatural mash-up from 1949 about a desperate DA who gets an offer from a stranger. It's a set up that wouldn't be out of place in an ep of The Twilight Zone. Enjoyable and atmospheric ... good matinee material.

Soul - Loved this. Just a beautiful set-up with depth and heart and loads of great moments, one after another. It's a subtle Pixar film but a quality one. Just the tonic I hoped it might be.

Comment

Working...
                                X