Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, I've never seen it look so good. THC are showing a proper nice version right about now.

Comment

On a wonky sidenote, I taped THE CARPETBAGGERS a bit back, tried to watch it last week (it's obviously a high-budget thang) but I got proper bored after about seventy minutes.

I felt a tad sad, cos the film itself looks so vibrant.

But it's boooooooring. Soooooooo boring. I had to stop watching it, it's VERY rare I switch a film off, if ever.

But I did with THIS. Mark my words!!!!

Comment

Tom and Jerry
        I can only assume that any decent reviews were contributed to how starved of new content everyone has been for the last twelve months. Desperate for something new to sit the kids with we tried this but man, drivel. It's also like Chloe Grace-Moretz is living a child actors career in reverse. Starting with stuff like Kick Ass and Let Me In to now this and Addams Family.

Comment

Couple of so-so films, but ones that caught my interest.

Cell (Via Prime)
          Didn't even realise the Stephen King book had been made into a film, but I'd enjoyed the book apart from the end, where it just seemed to fizzle out. It stars John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson as two men trying to survive when a virus spread by mobile phones turns most of civilisation into rabid killers.

There's a strong opening scene (kind of like how it's described in 28 Days Later) as the virus first hits and some interesting ideas of hive mind control, but despite being perfectly watchable with a bold ending, it's been done elsewhere a lot better.

Patient Zero (Via Prime)
          Cards on the table, I got confused. I thought this was another book adaptation, but mixed them all up.
          I was thinking of the plot in Public Enemy Zero, but confused it with title Patient Zero.
          Both of which are great books, but neither are this film!
          What you get is a zombie flick with Matt "The Doctor" Smith with an American accent retelling Day of the Dead.
          Earth overtaken by the undead? Check.
          Scientists and military at loggerheads in an underground bunker as they try to understand the cause of the virus? Check.
          Someone has a bitten arm lopped off? Check.
          Everything goes Pete Tong? Check.

The thing that sets it apart is that Smith's character (which he acts very well) was infected, but not turned and he can communicate with the infected. So there are numerous scenes of interrogation as Smith tries to find Patient Zero to stop the infections.
          Things change when Stanley Tucci's infected character is brought in, but is immune to the previously successful interrogation techniques and the two start verbally sparring.

After that, the chomping starts and it's a bid for survival.

Pretty mediocre, but the acting and story made me want to watch to the end.

Comment

Blade II - Saw this at the cinema back in 2002 and thought it was brilliant. It's still a hugely entertaining blood soaked thrill ride now. The cast is filled with "oh yeah, them" type people - Ron Perlman, Danny John Jules, Norman Reedus, Luke Goss. It's stylish and gory and very del Toro.

Blade Trinity - What a crock of utter ****!! Lazy sequel with shoddy effects and lousy plot, poorly cast (Triple H?! That guy from Prison Break as Dracula?!), unfunny - Ryan Reynolds schtick really doesn't work in this pre-Deadpool role. 4 superhero franchises the guy has been in playing pretty much the same character and Deadpool is the only one that's worked.

Comment

[MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] I was amazed that Patient Zero had Stanley Tucci in it. He must have had a spare weekend / large tax bill due.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                @QualityChimp I was amazed that Patient Zero had Stanley Tucci in it. He must have had a spare weekend / large tax bill due.
                The film started with Matt Smith and I was surprised, I thought it'd be a no-namer affair.

Apparently, this was a script on the 2013 Black List, an annual survey showcasing the "most liked" motion picture screenplays unproduced, and there was a bidding war for it, so I can understand why it attracted star interest.

Comment

Sunset Boulevard has been on my radar for years and I finally watched it last night. This is a top trump of a film. Everything about it is close to perfection. Right from the opening minutes when the main charter's narration started I was hooked. I knew nothing about it whatsoever apart from it's a Billy Wilder film and it gets heaps of praise. [mild spoilers] It's basically about an ageing and forgotten silent movie star, planning her comeback from her grand but decaying Sunset Boulevard mansion and a young writer who's broke and disheartened and happens upon her by chance. The characters and their relationships are complex and never have you settled on who or what is right or wrong. I was shocked by how dark it is too. Shades of Whatever Happened To Baby Jane in a film from 1950 ... exposing a darker side of Hollywood ... clinging to the past and chasing dreams might lead somewhere bleak, but maybe they're the only thing keeping you going. Nothing is black and white. It's so much smarter than that. There's also Hollywood royalty here too, playing themselves, such as Cecil B. Demille and Buster Keaton. I'm never disappointed after watching a Billy Wilder film. So good this one.

Comment

One of my favourite films. So, so good and got me started on Billy Wilder. Guy was a genius. Have you seen Ace In The Hole [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION]?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      Have you seen Ace In The Hole @Atticus?
                      I still haven’t seen it. Must get round to it.

Another thing about Subset Boulevard: the name Gordon Cole. David Lynch must be a big fan too.

Comment

Watch Ace In The Hole for sure! It’s brilliant.

Comment

Capone : This is pretty cool. Different to the norm at least and Tom Hardy puts in a good turn.

Comment

I didn't actually watch it yesterday but I saw the BBC were showing the Jake Gyllenhaal sci-fi 2011 film: Source Code. I first saw it on TV some time after it was released and was surprised that it had flown under my radar as its the sort of clever but not pretentious type of sci-fi I particularly enjoy.

We were talking here about Tom Cruise's later well worth watching Edge Of Tomorrow a few weeks ago which has a similar Groundhog Day core too but very different tone and content. Source Code marries that core time repeating mechanic to a crime thriller, a hunt for a bomber and does it well.

That also reminded me about Denziel Washington's earlier, flawed but still watchable Deja Vu 2006 which may even have been an 'inspiration'.

Comment

There was a short that either 'inspired' Groundhog Day with the repeat time story, or it was a complete coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
                                I didn't actually watch it yesterday but I saw the BBC were showing the Jake Gyllenhaal sci-fi 2011 film: Source Code. I first saw it on TV some time after it was released and was surprised that it had flown under my radar as its the sort of clever but not pretentious type of sci-fi I particularly enjoy.

We were talking here about Tom Cruise's later well worth watching Edge Of Tomorrow a few weeks ago which has a similar Groundhog Day core too but very different tone and content. Source Code marries that core time repeating mechanic to a crime thriller, a hunt for a bomber and does it well.

That also reminded me about Denziel Washington's earlier, flawed but still watchable Deja Vu 2006 which may even have been an 'inspiration'.
                                Check out Happy Death Day and the sequel Happy Death Day 2 U, which I thought were a lot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X