Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks beecee for taking one for the team.

I'm genuinely thinking Bruce Willis is going to greenlight the scan of his face they took making that PS1 game, Apocalypse, and literally phone in his performance and they sync it up.

Escape From Alcatraz is brilliant. Patrick McGoohan is so intimidating as the warden.
    Great soundtrack too. Less of a score and more a series of unnerving sounds.

Mitchells is amazing. So many levels. Rare to be able to watch a film as a family. Strong characters too, with flaws that make them relatable.
    Last edited by QualityChimp; 10-05-2021, 08:34.

Comment

Nomadland is a very captivating watch. It's very much about the people central to the story, who face bleak circumstance with resilience and humanity. There's a lot of beautiful sentiment shared by them, but also plenty of quiet reflection to bring you in to their world view and to stew on things as the story plods along. It's beautifully shot, managing to breathe life into otherwise cold and industrial settings, and really making the beauty of the natural world soar. Really sad, really great.

Bill & Ted Face the Music. I was excited going into this, but the first 20/30 minutes were a total slog - things were being set up far too slowly, and even just the pacing of the dialogue made me feel like they were giving room for laughs that they'd forgotten to write the jokes for. A lot of the characters weren't working for me. Eventually it picked up - ridiculous things started happening, and although there were still some really badly written scenes (I love Death, but a lot of his scenes were just bad), the wrapping up of everything had some charm to it. Not so good overall, but happy to have watched it.

Comment

April 9th is a Danish film about the German invasion of Denmark in 1940. Filmed beautifully, with very little score, it tells the story of a bicycle platoon as they are tasked with defending the Danish border against what is essentially an insurmountable foe. Recommended.

Comment

Comment

So, anyone got any plans to go to the cinema?

Comment

Cosmic Sin.....
              Promising first act, and then they ran out of money and gave it to a 12 year old on LSD to finish off.

Comment

Amer - This Belgian/French thriller looked like a pure giallo-fest in the trailer and while it wears its Argento and Bava influences proudly it's not a giallo proper. It's a lot more arty really. The film plays out in three acts and one thing I did like was how little dialogue there is ... the pure cinema factor is definitely a stand out. But it was just way more experimental than I was expecting, and less satisfying as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  So, anyone got any plans to go to the cinema?
                  Yep. Demon Slayer booked in for next week.

Watched Mitchells/Machines, expecting great things. Terrific characters and interpersonal dynamics, for sure, but ruined for me by an endless sugar rush of phone filters, gifs and memes slathered over some coming-of-age schmaltz as wretchedly sentimental as anything ever produced on American soil. And they dropped the anti social media moralizing the moment it no longer suited the plot. An unbalanced film, I thought.
                  Last edited by Golgo; 17-05-2021, 19:24.

Comment

Watched Zero Dark Thirty. Really liked it. I’ve not seen much of Bigelow’s back catalog (just hurt locker and point break I think) so I plan on rectifying that now.

Comment

Child's Play 3 - It started pretty well, at the corporate HQ of the company who make the Good Guy dolls. An evil and greedy boss was perfectly set up to be in cahoots with the Chuckster but na, it's easier to just bump him off. Biggest issue is why does Chucky have to always make a beeline for Andy? He's able to transfer his filthy soul into others so why always choose the same kid? Hey ho. There's still a fun factor but the military school isn't as fun a location as those on civvie st.

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      I’ve not seen much of Bigelow’s back catalog (just hurt locker and point break I think) so I plan on rectifying that now.
                      Near Dark is a brilliant vampire flick.

Comment

Comment

I watched Army of the Dead last night. The elements that are good are pretty good. Bautista is great, the group is totally surface level but they do okay. It doesn’t feel like it just follows they same zombie movie beats over and over so that’s good. But the zombies themselves I found to be absolutely hilarious. They prance around like they’re from some Broadway Billy Elliot production, doing jumps for no reason. Almost every scene with these zombies I just laughed through and, honestly, it killed the movie for me.

And the movie looks godawful. It was seemingly shot on Microsoft Teams using the depth of field filter. You know when people have that on and random things are blurred or their hair or elbow is blurred? That. All over. About 20% of each shot was in sharp but a totally random 20% rather than actually having any logic to the focus. If I was to guess, I’d say the entire thing was shot green screen and all ‘depth of field’ was just digitally added blur afterwards. It looks really bad.

Comment

I haven't watched Army of the Dead but apparently they plan more films and a series extending it and I assume the other projects won't look so bad, apparently extensive effects work and scene blending was used so they could continue filming during the peak of the pandemic meaning cast on screen were rarely together and their shots spliced etc

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              If I was to guess, I’d say the entire thing was shot green screen and all ‘depth of field’ was just digitally added blur afterwards. It looks really bad.
                              It looked like when I’m not wearing my glasses

I saw this today and after a while I just wanted it to finish.

It had some tense scenes, like the ‘offering’ and glow sticks, and how it played with certain tropes was refreshing. The zombie tiger was glorious and they did a stellar job digitally replacing Chris D’Elia with Tig Notaro - but at 2.5 hours, it was way too long.

Comment

Yep, it’s too long. Tig Notaro was actually the best thing in it for me. I had never heard of her before she was in Discovery but I think she’s brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                                X