Expensive Super Potato Fukubukuro Unboxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expensive Super Potato Fukubukuro Unboxing

Each New Year in Japan stores sell fukubukuro lucky bags. They contain mystery items and you're guaranteed to get more than you paid for, e.g. buy a 3000 yen bag and get 6000 yen worth of stuff inside. Obviously it's a way for stores to sell off total junk and there are loads of youtube videos of people buying absolute crap.

This year Super Potato did a 100000 yen bag (approx £700). This guy bought one and totalled up the value of what he got out of it, trying to hit 1 million yen in value.

I really like retro haul videos and this is a cracker with some bangers being pulled out of the bag. I don't collect for most of the formats in there but if I did and had £700 lying about, I would definitely have got one.

Part 1:

Part 2:

And a different youtuber getting one:

Hehe i'm subscribed to Koala as he's one of the only few people who cover DS stuff although he only started a collection a little while ago he buys a LOT of premium price games also has a thing for trying to collect sealed DS stuff. Personally nothing brings me joy more than unsealing a game, rarity be damnned if it's in my posession it's gonna get stripped & played

Comment

Do you have your figures right? His goal appeared to be the 1 million yen mark which would be £7000. Considering AES games are involved that isn't surprising.

Or do I have this completely wrong and it's actually a ridiculously good deal?

Okay I'm dumb, apologies.
      Last edited by speedlolita; 05-01-2021, 12:53.

Comment

Woah, just skipped through that first vid. What an absolutely insane haul, such a cool collection of games. I assume these are really hard to get hold of?! I mean who wouldn’t pay £700 for that type of set?!

Comment

Those SS AES games looked mighty suspect!

Comment

It's a 1m yen (100万円) set, approx £7k, rather than £700!
            Last edited by fuse; 05-01-2021, 13:02.

Comment

from the looks of it they got their money back but it also depends on what places they used to calculate their prices as it's gonna fluctuate wildly. Was nice seeing a lot of high value stuff been pulled out, some jank in there too anything sunfaded would be straight in the discard to flog on pile regardless of rarity

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                Hah! Was gonna say. Much too generous if it were £700. Might have suspected some foul play on behalf of being an "influencer".

Comment

Hmm thats a good point although super potato have knobbled themselves in that respect as i don't think they sell the bags long after new years over so by the time these vids are out it would be too late. But that would be a great way to sell crap, give a few youtubers some "special" hand picked bags to show what could be in store then fill the actual bags with crap like dreamcast stuff

Comment

I saw a few people on Twitter commenting around them this year, including these videos, and the impression I got from folks who had experience with them is that while with the lower-value fukukuburo you will regularly scrape by the total implied value, the bigger ones you generally end up getting considerably more value out of them... just it goes without saying that you have no influence over what it is that makes up that value.

It's a decent concept to run today, as for YouTube folks it's content on a plate, whereas it gives Super Potato a chance to shift some of their higher-value stock without having to discount them.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                      That makes a lot more sense!

Comment

Haha, got those numbers completely wrong. Thought that was a good deal from Super Potato.

Comment

It's that time again, folks! 2022 edition of opening the 1m yen fukubukuro Super Potato set.

Comment

A million yen is an awful lot of cash to splash out on a possible bag of ****e.
                            Took a look at his video, some very nice mint items in there but nothing that would add up to a million yen. Possibly 700,000 yen at most but most likely around 550,000 to 650,000 yen with good shopping.
                            There's a lot of cheap stuff too or at least in Japanese game shopping it's considered cheap. Stuff like Galaxy Fight on the Neo Geo AES may seem expensive but the average price is only 15,000 to 20,000 yen.
                            Wild Guns and Rendering Rangers are two big ones but even then you are looking at around 50,000 yen max for Wild Guns and maybe 65,000 yen for Rendering Rangers.

At the end the text claims he has 1,170,500 yen worth of stuff. Let's keep in mind he is basing that on Super Potato prices which are well above the average price by around 20% to 30% in big hitter titles. I wonder if these videos are promotional tie-ins with Super Potato?

Comment

Working...
                            X