• Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 167: PaRappa the Rapper

History in Games:
    1996 - PaRappa the Rapper
    1999 - Um Jammer Lammy
    2001 - PaRappa the Rapper 2

Overview:
    Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind, if you want to test this series I'm sure you'll find, the things it'll teach ya are sure to beat ya but never the less here comes a lesson from teacher now... PaRappa arrived on the PS1 as a straight up rhythm action game with players pressing button prompts in time with the music but at a time when the game was one of the emerging lights in what is now a heavily stuffed sub-genre. With its unique paper style visuals the game followed PaRappa as he took in rapping lessons on a mission to impressive his crush Sunny Funny. A cherished early experience for system owners the game was later followed up with the guitar focused spin-off Um Jammer Lammy that made much less of an impression. A true sequel would arrive the following generation but it too faltered as it was more of the same in a much more crowded market.

What are your gaming memories of the PaRappa the Rapper series?

As a kid, I couldn't get into this at all. I found it far, far too difficult to get anywhere. I'm not sure if that was me, or the game - because I would later get heavily into Project Diva and Guitar Hero and all sorts of other stuff. I'd even say that rhythm action has been a key genre for me in my gaming life, but for some reason this never clicked.

I should really go back and try it again, as I absolutely love the style of the game. It's aged really well, too.

Comment

I totally loved this when it came out and I loved Lammy too. They're so much fun. I never played Parappa 2 but videos suggest it was very much more of the same.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        As a kid, I couldn't get into this at all. I found it far, far too difficult to get anywhere.
        The style, the art, the music, the message - all great - but it's not just you, the sync is all over the shop.

Comment

Played the demo that came with the official PlayStation mag to death as a kid. However like many others the sync ruined it for me. As I got a PS2 and went back to it at uni though i realised the key was to not look at the icons so much and try to time the button presses yourself.

Comment

Working...
          X