No announcement yet.

America & World IV: Trump's Taxing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing with conspiracy theories is even if their prophecies don't prevail, they just morph into something else that explains away the problems things - the only hope for people that believe these things this deeply is to get professional help - they're never going to accept that it was BS otherwise.
    Last edited by MartyG; 29-01-2021, 07:38.

Comment

Yeah often believers only get more entrenched in their beliefs when prophesies don’t come to pass.

Comment

The independent website on a phone... ffs the internet is getting more broken by the day. Sorry for the derailment

Comment

The stock market is, at core, just the pricing of expectation of the future. If it was done weekly, it would be very easy to understand.

In the next ten years, how much money will this company return? I am investing in two companies right now.
          Company A makes sweatshirts that say "I love living in 2020" and Company B makes a vaccine for coronavirus.

I think Company B will make more money and so do most people so I buy a part of it. But everyone else does too. I think it will make £1m in the next ten years *for me* so I am willing to pay a little less than that (the gap being profit) - lets say £900k to give me £100k profit. Lovely.
          Someone else has looked at it and though, it will make £1.3m so they are willing to pay more than £900k because they can make some money by spending more. So they offer £950k.

I am happy with £50k too, so I match that. They offer £1.1m. What next?

Well, the fundamentals suggest that it won't make that money back for me, so I step out and the shares are valued at £1.1m and sold. The other company now either makes money because they were right or lose money because they were wrong.

That's how the market should work and does excluding the effects of market movers.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            The independent website on a phone... ffs the internet is getting more broken by the day. Sorry for the derailment
            It's because the mass market doesn't visit websites anymore; they just want everything on Facebook or other aggregators, so news sites have to try and maximise revenue from every single viewer.

Comment

Facebook has shut down the Robinhood discussion group

Comment

Here's a great example of how great a job the press are doing at covering this

Comment

Yep. Thing is, some already rich people are getting way richer on this and a whole bunch of people who aren't rich are going to lose a lot of money. And even those hedge fund people? Some of them won't get to buy another boat this year. That's it. This is not a great way to stick it to the man because if there is any fallout beyond people just losing money, it will be that regulations shift to protect those hedge fund people rather than doing what it should do - tearing their whole system down.

Comment

I know absolutely nothing about navigating the stock market but each new update seems to scream 'get out now while you can'

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      This is not a great way to stick it to the man because if there is any fallout beyond people just losing money, it will be that regulations shift to protect those hedge fund people rather than doing what it should do - tearing their whole system down.
                      it so disheartening to realize that the chances of reforming this system of unproductive capital are nil, what with people like Sunak (chancellor by way of being a former hedge fund manager) and Mogg (runs a hedge fund as a cheeky little sideline) in the top echelons of government. Can't imagine the situation is any less corrupt in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                        I know absolutely nothing about navigating the stock market but each new update seems to scream 'get out now while you can'
                        Yep. People are shouting the 'hold' line and that's because as soon as people stop holding, those prices are going to plummet fast. There will be a rush on people trying to get out before it gets too low and it's going to be a mess. And I'm not even sure we're going to hear much about that. Because a few people will get out on the high and make a ton of money, I reckon that will be the story - rich hedge fund people lose while plucky disruptors (also rich people) win. Meanwhile Gamestop is still Gamestop and it's not actually doing any better or worse because this whole thing is just nonsense.

And yes, Golgo, I totally agree. The entire system is a scam of rich people helping themselves and each other get richer,

Comment

The Robinhood app has reopened to users sending GameStop's shares upward yet again

Comment

All of Trumps Impeachment lawyers have quit, I mean, why bother when the Reps are going to rig it anyway. Apparently the main issue was that Trump wants them to argue about mass election fraud rather than the insurrection

Comment

Trump must be jealous as Myanmar suffers a real coup

Comment

You mean successful - both attempts were real coups.

Comment

Working...
                                X