No announcement yet.

New monitor help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accurate colours, website stuff, video editing. I think I need IPS due to the viewing angle. Just so used to it.

Comment

this one decent price, and decent reviews.

i sit about 60cm away from the screen and i mainly use it for CAD and modeling programs and the fact that i can get 3 word documents open side by side, single page and perfectly readable is a real bonus for me.

haven't tried gaming yet, but will be hooking up my PS3 and 360 to it at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
        this one decent price, and decent reviews.

i sit about 60cm away from the screen and i mainly use it for CAD and modeling programs and the fact that i can get 3 word documents open side by side, single page and perfectly readable is a real bonus for me.

haven't tried gaming yet, but will be hooking up my PS3 and 360 to it at some point.
        Looks good, but it's the same size as my TV. Not sure if I can handle something that large on my desk 27" would be best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
          How about this 27" Quad? https://www.ebuyer.com/830548-philip...r-272b8qjeb-00 I don't think I need a higher refresh rate since I'm not gaming on it much.
          Read a few more reviews and it makes a high frequency sound on white screens.... The search continues.

Comment

Went for this quadHD 27" IPS in the end. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-...mo-0a9-as.html

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
              At that screen size you'll have to set a rather high scaling value, which defeats the purpose of a high resolution monitor in normal desktop use. Games will look pretty sharp because you have so many pixels crammed into a single inch, but if you really want 4K, you need a 27" at least. You'll still need scaling (IIRC mine is set to 150%) otherwise OS and program menus will be too hard to read, but you can still enjoy a larger workspace than 1440p.
              ^^

This - also in gaming you're pushing around four times as many pixels and there still aren't a lot of cards around that'll drive things at 4K60, so you're using a screen that you're scaling, probably to 200% at 24", paying more and not seeing much in the way of benefits. If you're going to scale, you may as well get a 1440P 24", rather than cheap out with a low quality 24" 4K screen.

If you have the eyes of an eagle, then maybe you'll be able to read 10pt text on a 24" 4K screen without scaling.

[MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION] That looks like a good choice

Comment

@briareos_kerensky @MartyG

Ah, yeah, I totally get that if you have everything running at the native resolution on a super high res display, it will appear dinky. I wouldn't want that. But for my daily work my main screen is a 22" 1080p Dell monitor, and a secondary display (the one built into my laptop) is a 12" 2304x1440 display.

The laptop display is scaled so that everything is a good, normal, comfortable size - and it looks much, much, much better than the Dell because of the high DPI. The pixels disappear and the image feels more crisp, detailed and organic. It's just more modern. I mean, phones introduced this stuff like 8 years ago now.

I guess my original question was, why wouldn't you want that? If I bought another monitor, I would buy a much higher resolution one - not for more real estate, but simply to enjoy that greatly improved picture quality. Is that not something you guys are interested in or feel that you benefit from?

EDIT: Should add, I'm talking about normal computer use here, not gaming

Comment

I run two 4K screens (28" and 40"), two 24" 1080P and a 28" superwide 1080P on my work setup - I like 4K screens, but I want to get the most out of them and that means not scaling and having something with the size to take better advantage of that resolution - if a 4K 24" works for you, that's great, but I'd always buy something bigger - you get that same screen crispness without scaling and more screen real estate.
                  Last edited by MartyG; 11-02-2021, 19:19.

Comment

Yeah, I get that. I guess it's a case of crunching the numbers on what DPI is best for you and at what point it's overkill.

Comment

Working...
                    X