New monitor help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New monitor help

guys im looking to upgrade my monitor, currently i have a 22" HP, but its bulky and old. so looking to upgrade to a 27" or thereby
    it will be used partly for work, second screen from my laptop, and party for console gaming, PS3, 360, WiiU and maybe PS4.

been looking at this as a min
    1ms response
    27" and above
    HDMI (1 or 2 ports)

do i need freesync? IPS? and the like

looking at a budget of circa £150, and been looking at 1080p panels.

or is it worth paying extra for a 4K one, circa £250 ish...for this

what you guys use/recommend?

I wouldn't go 4K at 27", it's a push at 28" at 100% scaling and at £250 you're still very much at the budget end - you'll end up screen scaling to 150-175% and so lose most of the benefit of going to 4K (plus windows scaling isn't that great) - I have a 40" 4K screen for work at 100% scaling, no squinting required, I definitely wouldn't want to go smaller than 32" 4K for production stuff. I don't even know why 24" 4K monitors exist.

At 27", 1440P is more optimal with no need for scaling - at 1080P you're going to start noticing the low resolution in documents (and scaling to 75% isn't going to give you a readable screen, even if you could go below 100% ), if it was just gaming you might not notice the 1080P, depending on your attention to detail.

Freesync can be useful if your source supports it - it means that you can turn vsync off and not worry about screen tearing as the signal will sync at the same rate as the source is outputting. Not all freesync is the same though, so check the freesync range, if the monitor can only VVR between 50-70Hz, if you output is above and below those limits, you won't see the benefit.

IPS/TN/VA - different screen techs, at a general level, TN tend to be cheaper and have lower latency and higher refresh at the expense of colour gamut, IPS have better colour (that nice saturated look) and better viewing angles at the expense of response/refresh and VA is somewhere inbetween but sometimes suffer from ghosting (these are less common). Most IPS screens tend to have a reflective coating, matt is seen more on TN, if reflections bother you this is worth looking out for.

I actually prefer a matt TN panel for document work and IPS for photo editing, so I have a mix of both (and a strong desk)

Last edited by MartyG; 18-01-2021, 16:57.

Comment

IPS panels have better colour reproduction and viewing angles but aren't as fast as TN panels. Freesync is a nice addition but only PCs with compatible GPUs will be able to use it; IIRC the Series X is able to do Freesync but no other.

Among those you listed I'd go for the Asus, then the BenQ. Acer products are really hit and miss in terms of quality assurance.

I'm partial to Dell monitors, the S2721D is 2560x1440 at 27", which is a nice compromise between resolution and program scaling. It's £210 on Dell's website but probably you can find it for less.
      Equip your business with PC accessories & professional notebooks. Free delivery when you shop from the official Dell UK store!

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        I wouldn't go 4K at 27", it's a push at 28" at 100% scaling and at £250 you're still very much at the budget end - you'll end up screen scaling to 150-175% and so lose most of the benefit of going to 4K (plus windows scaling isn't that great) - I have a 40" 4K screen for work at 100% scaling, no squinting required, I definitely wouldn't want to go smaller than 32" 4K for production stuff. I don't even know why 24" 4K monitors exist.

At 27", 1440P is more optimal with no need for scaling - at 1080P you're going to start noticing the low resolution in documents (and scaling to 75% isn't going to give you a readable screen, even if you could go below 100% ), if it was just gaming you might not notice the 1080P, depending on your attention to detail.

Freesync can be useful if your source supports it - it means that you can turn vsync off and not worry about screen tearing as the signal will sync at the same rate as the source is outputting. Not all freesync is the same though, so check the freesync range, if the monitor can only VVR between 50-70Hz, if you output is above and below those limits, you won't see the benefit.

IPS/TN/VA - different screen techs, at a general level, TN tend to be cheaper and have lower latency and higher refresh at the expense of colour gamut, IPS have better colour (that nice saturated look) and better viewing angles at the expense of response/refresh and VA is somewhere inbetween but sometimes suffer from ghosting (these are less common). Most IPS screens tend to have a reflective coating, matt is seen more on TN, if reflections bother you this is worth looking out for.

I actually prefer a matt TN panel for document work and IPS for photo editing, so I have a mix of both (and a strong desk)

Do you ever say "where have I left my mouse cursor?!"

Comment

Cheers guy's, how important is the response time, is it noticeable between say 1 and 4ms?

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            Do you ever say "where have I left my mouse cursor?!"
            I did until I increased its size and made it yellow

Originally posted by beecee View Post
            Cheers guy's, how important is the response time, is it noticeable between say 1 and 4ms?
            The response time is is how long the monitor takes for a pixel to change from one colour to another, I doubt you'd notice the difference between 4ms and 1ms. More important is input lag (which is not the same thing and rarely does this number get quoted), that is noticible if it gets too high, but the vast vast majority of PC monitors it's not an issue. You see this more where TVs are used for PCs and not running in gaming mode.
            Last edited by MartyG; 18-01-2021, 18:26.

Comment

I am seeing High refresh rate quick response times Ips panels out there now

Comment

Does look like there are more 1080P 24" fast IPS panels out there now, starts to get a bit more spendy when you go to 27" 1440P - definitely plenty of choice around for every pocket.

I remember the first time I got a 17" CRT and thought it was the schitz after struggling with an 800x600 14" monitor for years. How things have changed.
                Last edited by MartyG; 19-01-2021, 18:59.

Comment

Just on that point you made about not understanding 4K 24" monitors Marty, is this not so that you can have a nice high DPI image? I know I appreciate that personally (not that I own a high DPI monitor, other than the tiny 12" one built into my laptop, but I like the idea of owning one).

Comment

4k looks awesome at 27”. I have used an LG monitor for a few years now and the motion and response time are excellent. IPS

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      Just on that point you made about not understanding 4K 24" monitors Marty, is this not so that you can have a nice high DPI image?
                      At that screen size you'll have to set a rather high scaling value, which defeats the purpose of a high resolution monitor in normal desktop use. Games will look pretty sharp because you have so many pixels crammed into a single inch, but if you really want 4K, you need a 27" at least. You'll still need scaling (IIRC mine is set to 150%) otherwise OS and program menus will be too hard to read, but you can still enjoy a larger workspace than 1440p.

Comment

Is there any point in getting a curved monitor?

And what about 144Hz? I have an RTX 2060.

Blimey, it used to be just choose a resolution and IPS or TN..... I'm giving my daughter my IPS 22" 1080p and wondering what to replace it with.
                        Last edited by charlesr; 31-01-2021, 17:30.

Comment

How about this 27" Quad? https://www.ebuyer.com/830548-philip...r-272b8qjeb-00 I don't think I need a higher refresh rate since I'm not gaming on it much.
                          Last edited by charlesr; 31-01-2021, 18:50.

Comment

I picked up a quad viewsonic 32", it has 2hdmi VGA and display ports, it is perfect for my needs.

Comment

Is there any point in getting a curved monitor?
                              My personal view is that curved monitors are worth it if you pick a large one and it's going to be your only monitor and you don't switch between vertical and horizontal. I still prefer multiple 16:9 or 16:10 monitors than a single curved one.

Blimey, it used to be just choose a resolution and IPS or TN..... I'm giving my daughter my IPS 22" 1080p and wondering what to replace it with.
                              It's still more or less the same, only that IPS has taken giant leaps forward, relegating TN to cheap monitors or ultrafast panels that unfortunately are still limited to 1080p...but the main question is the same: what are you going to do with the monitor, primarly? Gaming, work that needs accurate colours, writing documents, or a mix of everything? The monitor you linked sounds like a good all-rounder, and if you don't have a PC able to push high framerates, going 144hz or higher might not be what you are looking for, and instead you can go for higher resolution or better colour reproduction.

Comment

Working...
                              X