Dolby Vision upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolby Vision upgrade

Looking for a bit of advice. I've got a reasonable collection of 4k Blu-rays that I play on PS5 on my LG 55" C8.

The discs are better or similar picture quality than Disney+ and Netflix Dolby Vision from the LG app to my untrained eye.

Would I be likely to see any further improvement from getting a dedicated DV enabled 4k player like the Panasonic UB820 over what I have now or save my money?

Originally posted by Stakers View Post
    Looking for a bit of advice.?
    I was looking to replace my 4K spinner, i currently have the SonyX800 and looking to swap it with its replacement the X800v2 for to get Dolby Vision, im getting more disks with DV so looking to take advantage as my TV LG OLED has DV support.

but i recently picked up an Amazon fire cube, and watching the same TV show on that via my amp (not DV compatible) so just produces an HDR10 image, and comparing that with the Netflix DV compatible app in the LG, i actually prefer the Cube picture, looks sharper and more defined than the LG Netflix app. same with the Disney plus app, but those are streamed, i would like to think that the discs themselves would be a better comparison for DV with higher bitrates available.

i certainly will be replacing my X800 when we need to replace the bedroom TV, which will be for a 4K set and ill relegate it to there, and make sure the next 4K player will have DV for the Livingroom.

if you have the funds for it, i would go for it.

but there are cheaper DV player out there, but would stick with sony/panasonic, see if you can pick up one second hand save a few £££
    Last edited by beecee; 21-01-2021, 08:17.

Comment

Thanks for your input. Not an easy decision to make really hampered by the fact that I can't compare side by side. I played discs on a One X before the PS5 and I can't see any difference but it niggles me that a dedicated player might be a bit better! Willing to spend £300 for that but not for nothing at all.

Comment

I feel like between Dolby Vision, the HDR optimiser, quieter performance, and a better remote (especially if you use a Dualshock on the PS5 for playback), the experience of using a UB820 will definitely be better.

From a pure picture quality perspective on UHDs, it's going to be disc dependent what kind of difference you can see I think. I wouldn't go into it expecting a night-and-day upgrade.

Comment

I'm unsure if this is really the answer you are looking for (it isn't, but it's another suggestion and one that eventually leads to comparisons in quality), but I use a Shield TV 2019 Pro and a NAS setup.

I have ripped a fair few of the UHD (and indeed BR) discs at my disposal to stream from my Synology NAS using Plex/Kodi - I only have 5 in total, with about 10 I borrowed from a work colleague. I have only seen the original discs on a PC and on my buddies setup a while ago. While I am comparing from his player from memory, the remuxes I have done i.e. I have completely pulled everything off the UHD discs 1:1 using MakeMKV, look as good as the discs from memory. When I do a side-by-side from Apple TV 4K content (which has the highest bitrate of any current streaming service) and UHD remuxes on Plex/Kodi, the remuxes ALWAYS best the Apple TV content. Disney + is perhaps less noticeable, but when comparing the few I have done there is a visible difference. It is most apparent with Avengers: Endgame. I'm unsure aware Disney doesn't match framerate but lets the device do it, so I'm unsure how much of it displays in 24fps.

Again, I'm aware that isn't what you asked, but I think it comes down to how sensitive you are to content, and are your eyes sensitive enough to see - or even care - about the difference for £300. I am desperate to convince myself that I don't need the Shield etc. and would be content just streaming UHD from Netflix, Disney + etc. (bearing in mind the Shield is £200) but the truth is I wouldn't be when I do side by sides. I picked up the HD (not UHD) version of The Thing on the Apple TV app earlier to compare it to my Arrow Blu-Ray rip and side-by-side the Apple TV version looks like a VHS copy by comparison. If, as you say 'you can't see any difference', I'd leave it. I somewhat regret going down the comparing content path because I can't unsee how great Jaws looks at the full 90 Gbit/s rate compared to the somewhat muddy looking Apple TV version around 20 odd. However, I am a great advocate for using one thing for what it was intended for rather than using a console to play UHD discs, so that kind of undermines my whole argument
          3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Thanks Escape to 88. I eventually went and bought the player and I can notice a huge difference so I'm pleased about that. Plus I'm getting other benefits such as not having to change TV settings, Game mode to calibrated cinema mode. Much of my PS5 content is digital but I've always had problems with drives on consoles eventually so its nice to not be overworking the PS5 one.
            I haven't got the keen eye that the cinephiles and experts have I'm sure but I know I've got a very nice display and I feel like I'm getting as much out of it as I want to spend.

Comment

Working...
            X