No announcement yet.

Awesome moments in games that make you smile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching my kids play physics based games such as Gang Beasts and Totally Reliable Delivery Service and hearing their real belly laughs

Comment

Kingdom Hearts 2.

When they think Goofy is dead, and Mickey Mouse dead-ass says

"They're gonna pay."

then yanks off his robes to reveal he's wearing a keyblade and Kingdom Hearts-style duds beneath, and runs off to charge the front line of an invading army.

It's utterly absurd. I LOVE it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
        When stuff goes mental in Cave shoot em ups.
        I hear this one. That's the main reason I play them tbh. I'm nowhere near good enough to 1CC them all (only really 1CCd Deathsmiles), but there is a real buzz in getting through tricky sections unscathed and making the screen go nuts.

Comment

Fire Pro Wrestling: the moment you hit a critical, especially one using your set finisher for the first time.

Tobal no1/2 : a long throw counter exchange, long enough to have done a 360 around the opponent.

FFxi : hitting for big numbers on weapon skills, and self skill chaining after spending alot of time upgrading Damage dealers.

Apex Legends: knee sliding down hill, shooting your gun and dropping some fool while not stopping.

Monster Hunter: hitting that level 3 combo on great sword, the sliding hammer spin attack, and holding down wyvern heart chaingun on HBG.

Battlefield 4: triprod m60, 200 bullet mag and acog heat/vision firing bullets forever, kamikaze c4 jeeps, countering a kamikaze jeep in a tank and downing those annoying good plane and helicopter players.

Comment

The moment you split a wrestler's head open in WCW VS NWO REVENGE on the N64.

It's just so SATISFYING. It's not even particularly gory, it's just perfectly timed when it happens, you have to try for it. So good.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
              The moment you split a wrestler's head open in WCW VS NWO REVENGE on the N64.

It's just so SATISFYING. It's not even particularly gory, it's just perfectly timed when it happens, you have to try for it. So good.
              AKI's N64 wrestling trilogy and VPW2 still have some off the best clotheslines, like the burning lariat special and if it causes blood or a KO, all the better.

Comment

They were masters, mate.

Comment

I wanted to resurrect this thread alongside that grumpy "I don't get it" one.

Dipped into Strange Brigade the other day and I love co-op gaming.
                  The finale of each stage has a horde section and it starts off okay and everyone is coping, despite the constant waves of grunts.
                  Then the game drops the special enemies and the tide starts turning in their favour and everyone's then on the back foot and it's this constant management of attacking the boss, getting mates back up when downed and not dying.

It's a proper thrill ride.

Comment

The end credits on ​Katamari Damacy

Comment

The collision boxes and IK animation on the Hectors in EDF4 are PERFECT and it feels so good to see one of their huge arm cannons wind up for an attack and then you pop a bullet in the cannon and deflect it. In other games that would be a scripted QTE moment but in EDF you just create set pieces yourself all day.

Similarly, shooting a thrown axe out of the air in Resi 4.

Comment

I think Kentucky Route Zero is one of the most profound and brilliant things I'll likely ever play. It's filled with memorable moments, but Junebug and Johnny's performance in Act III stirs things in me and is pretty much a guaranteed way to make me tear up.

Maybe not a conventional smile, but definitely an awesome thing that makes me love games even more.

Comment

Watching the perfectly optomised factories in Factorio produce your space science packs and put them all on the main trunk bus en mass.

Very satisfying.

Comment

Two from Half Life Alyx:

When you go to collect your anti gravity gloves and the room they are in had mannequins with their hands burnt off.

And

When you lock a terrifying monster called Jeff in a room. You feel all smug as he’s getting madder and madder in there and then the game makes you realise that you need something from the room you locked him in and you’re going to have to open the door again. Perfect.

Comment

That reminds me of playing Arizona Sunshine with [MENTION=9465]Brad[/MENTION].

It's so janky, with our broken wristed avatars, I was crying with laughter, but it's also bloody terrifying at times.

Looking down the iron sights of a pistol and shooting through two windows to headshot a zombie was something special.

Comment

Talking of PSVR, Astro Bot is just magical.

Comment

Working...
                                X