What's everyone using for PC speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's everyone using for PC speakers?

For years I've always used rubbish £10 speakers for my PC because I don't often play games on it and would watch films on the Xbox.

Now that I'm video editing, I want better sound. I bought a pair of JAM Audio bookshelf powered speakers with Bluetooth and 3.5Aux. They sound pretty good, but have a slight amplifier hiss, and they turn off after 10 minutes or so of not being used via Aux, so that makes them unsuitable. Via Bluetooth, that's not a problem because it turns off and on again immediately, but there is lag, even with audio enhancements off in Windows, so that's no use. I might keep them as Kitchen speakers.

I looked at the Logitech stuff on Currys so I could nip down and get them, but OMG, they look awful, with literally fake drivers (not plugged into anything!!)

What's everyone else using? 2.0 or 2.1 please (not 5.1). Need clean vocal frequencies to be honest. Bass isn't important.

I use a Topping DX3 Pro as a headphone amp (for my Senn 6XX) and also a DAC for my Cambridge Audio AM10 which is powering some Q Acoustics 2010i. Always taken the approach that an integrated amplifier and some bookshelf speakers provide the best bang for buck. Before I got the Topping I was just using some cheap Behringer UCA222 as a DAC and that was completely fine too.

If you're editing video though you probably want to look at some studio monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      I use a Topping DX3 Pro as a headphone amp (for my Senn 6XX) and also a DAC for my Cambridge Audio AM10 which is powering some Q Acoustics 2010i. Always taken the approach that an integrated amplifier and some bookshelf speakers provide the best bang for buck. Before I got the Topping I was just using some cheap Behringer UCA222 as a DAC and that was completely fine too.

If you're editing video though you probably want to look at some studio monitors.
      Yeah, I was thinking about amp and speakers, or monitors, but it's so much money. I'd rather spend it on something else if I can get something half decent for cheap. I know the sound input is OK because the mic is good and it sounds great on my headphones.

Comment

If you're doing video editing, you need to consider a couple of things.

Firstly, headphones will be vastly cheaper for a comparable level of quality.

But secondly, be careful about buying amazing speakers if you're going to be editing videos for people who don't have them. One of the mistakes people sometimes make is getting a really get hifi setup for this, but that's only really appropriate if you're, I dunno, mixing the audio for Disney on their next Pixar movie. Most people will have reasonably everyman speakers and it can be useful to have the same.

I have these, and honestly, I swear by them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Z2...1248954&sr=8-4

They're not great, but they offer a clear sound for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          If you're doing video editing, you need to consider a couple of things.

Firstly, headphones will be vastly cheaper for a comparable level of quality.

But secondly, be careful about buying amazing speakers if you're going to be editing videos for people who don't have them. One of the mistakes people sometimes make is getting a really get hifi setup for this, but that's only really appropriate if you're, I dunno, mixing the audio for Disney on their next Pixar movie. Most people will have reasonably everyman speakers and it can be useful to have the same.

I have these, and honestly, I swear by them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Z2...1248954&sr=8-4

They're not great, but they offer a clear sound for the price.
          I looked at those. See those two diaphragms? One of them is fake. No joke. Only one of those domes is powered. That's not to say they sound bad, but I thought it was shocking they would do this.

You make a good point about the speaker quality.
          Last edited by charlesr; 21-01-2021, 16:17.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            I looked at those. See those two diaphragms? One of them is fake. No joke. Only one of those domes is powered. That's not to say they sound bad, but I thought it was shocking they would do this.

You make a good point about the speaker quality.
            I don't think that's true, unless they're not the ones I have. I just put a song on and gently touched them, and I can feel both moving.

Comment

I just added a pic in the post above from someone that opened them. They move because there's air inside hitting them, but they aren't driven. Unless his was made wrong?

Comment

I just added a pic in the post above from someone that opened them. They move because there's air inside hitting them, but they aren't driven. Unless his was made wrong?
                I mean, I guess I can't tell I'm not disassembling them. But they certainly don't feel that way.

Comment

Yeah, he didn't think they sounded bad. He was just annoyed that it was advertised as having "2 drivers per speaker". No idea how he noticed only one was driven.

Comment

I had some Creative T20 back in the day, they had quite a pleasing sound to them for the money.

Comment

What's everyone else using? 2.0 or 2.1 please (not 5.1). Need clean vocal frequencies to be honest. Bass isn't important.
                      I'm using a Denon AVR-X2700H in a 7.1 Dolby configuration (which isn't 5.1).

But honestly, I'd forget speakers and get a reasonable USB DAC and a pair of reference headphones (like a FiiO Q1 DAC with a Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, which is what I use when video editing).

Comment

I've been using Sony SRS-Z500s for 15 years and they are still completely balling, not a hint of distortion and go loud. Great for games and music, will probably never replace unless lotto win.
                        Last edited by Baseley09; 22-01-2021, 16:17.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

[MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION] a passive radiator (the cone not plugged in) isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Top end speakers sometimes have these too.

Comment

I'm still using some Harmon Kardon Soundsticks, in fact I have the Soundsticks 3 set up in my living room as well, although they do switch off if there is no sound for a while. They sound great to me, although I am virtually deaf in my left ear so probably not the best judge.

Comment

Working...
                              X