No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're going to be striking for a very long time if they're holding out for a 15% rise.

Comment

This whole situation depresses the hell out of me, I can see my life turning awful within months. This is the view inside my head.

July: Re-opening happens and people make their own decisions, which inevitably leads to the infections graph going vertical.
      August: Following lengthy arguments and probably a failed strike, people return to a full office with no social distancing. Infections still rising.
      September: After several scares, I get Covid. It's not too bad, but I'm still off work for a week. Infections still rising.
      October: Still feel exhausted from Covid. There's talk about another lockdown but the government plays it down.
      November: Don't feel exhausted by Covid, but just fed up and depressed. Calls for lockdown grow further. The country is classified as a high-risk location by almost everywhere in the world, so it now looks like it'll be three years before I can go overseas. Government insists it's a temporary blip.
      December: A temporary two week circuit breaker lockdown is called to reduce cases before Christmas. It inevitably extends beyond Christmas.
      January: Lockdown still in effect, but compliance is very low because nobody cares and it doesn't really make much difference other than another round of businesses going to the wall.
      February: I didn't get as far as booking holidays as the only places that don't classify the UK as a high-risk country is Kyrgyzstan and Somalia and we're still in lockdown anyway. I think I've got Covid again. Infections remain consistently high and a few more people I know are dead.
      March: To tidy things up before the financial year end, I put a Master System Light Phaser in my mouth and pull the trigger. It doesn't work.

Then again, I'm a pessimist so maybe Covid will be gone by the end of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        They're going to be striking for a very long time if they're holding out for a 15% rise.
        Queenie awarded the NHS a medal and said everyone is doing jolly well and working their socks off, so they're happy now and have cancelled the strike: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57714088

Comment

I've liked that, [MENTION=7652]Hirst[/MENTION], but I don't like it, just agree with you.

I've always said we're operating a two-tier system: Those who give a ****, and the rest that don't.

I still think that's the case. I think the thing I'm most worried about is that people are going to be shaming people into not wearing masks, even though they're the easiest way to stop transmission.

This pandemic has really shown some people's true colours.

The government are giving up, thinking the vaccine is the only solution and Sajid Javid's focus seems to be opening everything back up, rather than saving lives. "We are going to have to learn to accept the existence of COVID and find ways to cope with it - just as we already do with flu," he said.

The government are leaving it to "personal responsibility", which is a great way to wash your hands of any problems.

The comparison of flu has been criticised:
          "It's like having a government that thinks road safety should be completely up to 'individual responsibility': no traffic lights, no highway code, no law about driving on the left, no crash barriers," tweeted health psychologist Robert West.
          At a Westminster cinema club in 2015, Sajid Javid picked a film to be shown to fellow politicos that now seems instructive to the government's newfound approach to handling the pandemic.

I think we're going to be all going off in our own regions, spreading it about with our own mutations, then having events where everyone passes their regional variants forevermore.

Comment

On the instruction of Boris, honestly, the transparency of their moves almost gives me a headache.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I still think that's the case. I think the thing I'm most worried about is that people are going to be shaming people into not wearing masks, even though they're the easiest way to stop transmission.
              We had ours on between two shops yesterday and some people loudly said (in that "we're talking to each other but it's for other people to hear" way, an ancient art only mastered by chavs and, seemingly, schoolyard bullies) "dunno why they're wearing masks, not Halloween yet".

This is going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                This whole situation depresses the hell out of me, I can see my life turning awful within months. This is the view inside my head.

July: Re-opening happens and people make their own decisions, which inevitably leads to the infections graph going vertical.
                August: Following lengthy arguments and probably a failed strike, people return to a full office with no social distancing. Infections still rising.
                September: After several scares, I get Covid. It's not too bad, but I'm still off work for a week. Infections still rising.
                October: Still feel exhausted from Covid. There's talk about another lockdown but the government plays it down.
                November: Don't feel exhausted by Covid, but just fed up and depressed. Calls for lockdown grow further. The country is classified as a high-risk location by almost everywhere in the world, so it now looks like it'll be three years before I can go overseas. Government insists it's a temporary blip.
                December: A temporary two week circuit breaker lockdown is called to reduce cases before Christmas. It inevitably extends beyond Christmas.
                January: Lockdown still in effect, but compliance is very low because nobody cares and it doesn't really make much difference other than another round of businesses going to the wall.
                February: I didn't get as far as booking holidays as the only places that don't classify the UK as a high-risk country is Kyrgyzstan and Somalia and we're still in lockdown anyway. I think I've got Covid again. Infections remain consistently high and a few more people I know are dead.
                March: To tidy things up before the financial year end, I put a Master System Light Phaser in my mouth and pull the trigger. It doesn't work.

Then again, I'm a pessimist so maybe Covid will be gone by the end of the week.
                This feels very, very plausible.

Unfortunately

Although I hope you don't get COVID, Hirst, let alone twice.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  The government are giving up, thinking the vaccine is the only solution and Sajid Javid's focus seems to be opening everything back up, rather than saving lives.
                  Surely a government that's made bad decision after bad decision around the pandemic isn't going to make another bad decision?

All well and good having personal responsibility, but that doesn't account for morons and employers coercing people back into offices - this is herd immunity plan number 2.

Comment

I'm seeing all this stuff that Savid Javid is an Objectivist.

Comment

Just Googled it. His favourite book and film is The Fountainhead. Jesus Christ. A vile philosophy.

Comment

We need to open up more, as fast as poss, coz, sandwiches. And football. Or the dream...sandwiches at the football!

Meanwhile

A lack of "natural immunity" in the population is contributing to the rise in cases, officials say.

"The only areas in the table outside the UK are Nur-Sultan City in Kazakhstan and the Russian Federation's capital, Moscow."

Oh dear.

Comment

Care Minister Helen Whately refuses to say COVID is under control

Comment

Next year we will be black listed by most countries so the government will change the way covid cases are recorded to cheat the numbers and get visitors again. Just you wait.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelaa View Post
                              We need to open up more, as fast as poss, coz, sandwiches. And football. Or the dream...sandwiches at the football!

Meanwhile

A lack of "natural immunity" in the population is contributing to the rise in cases, officials say.

"The only areas in the table outside the UK are Nur-Sultan City in Kazakhstan and the Russian Federation's capital, Moscow."

Oh dear.
                              "Scotland's national clinical director, Jason Leitch, said a lack of "natural immunity" in the population was behind the high rates."

That explains it. Nothing to do with playing-up like total wazzocks during the football?

Comment

Take your pick, when it's all 'gross negligence', 'acceptable death rates' etc you know it reeks of an absolutely top tier Tory plan

Comment

Working...
                                X