No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The argument about masks is insane. It’s a dirt cheap, minimally inconvenient way of reducing infection at a time when they are rocketing up. I hate them as much as anyone and I wear them because it makes sense. Sometimes it means I have to go outside to catch my breath, they can be a bit annoying and fidgety sometimes – I get over it. It’s amazing how many tough guys in this country reckon they could knock someone out, but having to temporarily wear a mask makes them act like a massive whiny baby. First time I went to Thailand there was a huge smog outbreak and all the kids were walking to school in masks at 34C outside, so I’m sure most chumps here could manage it for 10 minutes when they go in Morrisons for a tin of Nurishment and some Rizlas.

If the government decide masks are no longer required, you can almost 100% guarantee it will result in a transport strike and probably a few other strikes across the retail sector (both areas have already had more than their fair share of deaths). Knowing our weak government, they’ll likely say it’s at the discretion of the individual transport operator/shop/etc. to put them in a difficult position whilst washing their hands of it. Expect loads of arguments and fights over it, probably widespread reports of being people threatened for wearing masks. Not to mention rises in infections which mean some workplaces have to send large groups of staff home. Don’t forget to clap for them though.

And this is all in service of what? The removal of an inconvenience to make things look visually “normal” in time for the school holidays, have the press do some waffling about freedom day and convince some spectacularly thick people that it’s all over and done with so they can get back to ignoring politics in favour of watching Beadle’s About in their Y-fronts, making mucky fat sandwiches off the grill and sucker punching someone in a Yates Wine Lodge. I want this thing genuinely over and done with and I don’t want any unnecessary living in fear, but we couldn’t just wait that bit longer and rush through the last vaccinations first? It’s like being in the last hour of a flight and opening the door to get out since we’re more-or-less there. Not that we will be able to do any flights because Britain will be the plague island that never tackled Covid and we’ll have similar travel rights to North Koreans for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Things I will continue to do:

1. Wear a mask (properly, I hasten to add, not with my nose hanging out)
          2. Social distance as much as I am able

**** the Tories and any idiot that thinks Covid is something we just need to "deal with".

Comment

Heard Gatwicks Terminal 3 is opening up, why? No-ones going anywhere anytime soon. Gotta love how blatantly willing they are to keep pushing the narrative of green lighting everything bit then just as blatantly acting like utter cowards over whether things will go to hell as a result in the winter. JAavid as well is an utter moron thinking he isn't the obvious fall guy as well.

Comment

What a bunch of utter clowns. **** them all.

Comment

The magic moment was when Johnson pushed that now was the time swiftly followed by estimating 50,000 new cases per day by the time the 19th even lands

Comment

Once they do it, there will be no going back. But as the good PM said 'let the bodies pile up at the door'. They have nothing but contempt for the British people. We aren't them.

Comment

Because todays a day for BS from BS institutions

Comment

We all know I've struggled with lockdown & wanting normal back but **** me if this isn't a massive **** up

I mean in what world do you go "lets remove every single working restriction at once & let everyone go back to how it was before" but also at the same time say "we'll be at 50k+ cases a day by the time we do remove them, oh & more people will still die" & actually think that what they are doing is a good idea

I want things back to normal I really do, but I don't want it at this sort of cost

I desperately want to go back to America for a holiday but they are just royally screwing up that for years to come

Come the winter we'll be back to where we were this Christmas it's blatantly obvious

It's all such a ******* mess

Neil

Comment

This isn't getting things back to normal, this is sticking your fingers in your ears & covering over your eyes, pretending it's all gone away whist the flames are burning your trousers and leg hairs.

And it's at odds with the documents released by SAGE today.

“There is significant risk in allowing prevalence to rise, even if hospitalisations and deaths are kept low by vaccination.

“If it were necessary to reduce prevalence to low levels again (e.g. VoC become more pathogenic for others previously less affected), then restrictive measures would be required for much longer.”

The scientists say another wave would be expected to occur even if the assumed baseline measures reduce transmission by 25%, but that it would be much higher without these.
                        By baseline measures, they mean testing, social distancing, wearing of masks and isolation when infected. You know, all the things the government says they're not bothering with any more.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 05-07-2021, 19:54.

Comment

Some might have seen but I made a video on the matter of masks and the vulnerable.

Comment

Your vid perfectly sums up the kind of messaging we should be getting and never do, it's such a simple thing even for those who can't or just refuse to do but it speaks to the way people are in this country that so many are likely to face a tough time just for not entering a **** waving contest with each other in the coming months over who can avoid COVID measures the most.

Doesn't help when these kinds of gems are the nuggets of wisdom even Whitty spews out:

Keeping restrictions will delay another wave... I mean... that's both the entire sodding point and also moronic that delaying another wave wouldn't reduce hospitalisations and deaths. Delaying it means higher vaccination rates before a rise therefore smaller rises. With pearls like this Whitty might as well be the useless sod who used to give medical updates for Trump to the dismay of Fauci.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              Because todays a day for BS from BS institutions

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ectures-online
                              Holy hell that is some bull****.

I know lots of people have had it hard, much harder, and students aren’t generally a group that garner much sympathy for stuff, but I do feel really terrible for anyone who has had their uni experience smashed by COVID. It was such a critical and formative time in my life.

Comment

Listening to the TV and radio it's brilliant that the restrictions are being lifted. We are all sick of it and it's time we get back to normal now.

So that's good...

Comment

Working...
                                X