No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta say I think I disagree with the AA. 20 minutes to go from quarter charge to over 80%? More like an hour to an hour and a half.
    For some people electric cars make absolutely perfect sense. Me for example. I'm not buying one because I don't want to spend 30k on a new car right now but I'd be fine with one. They're not for everyone though and if I was fairly regularly doing over 200 mile journeys I wouldn't have one; too much hassle at the moment. They're getting better and cheaper all the time though so eventually we can all have them. I'm not defending a Tory so much as questioning the AA figures. I'd like to know what this average car is that does 25 to over 80% in 20 minutes.

Comment

Just wanted to say removing the last post was mindless, lacking of any mind, as in sentience. Had to check in case there were any trapped here. Earth was very glorius once...

Comment

Originally posted by skato2 View Post
        Just wanted to say removing the last post was mindless, lacking of any mind, as in sentience. Had to check in case there were any trapped here. Earth was very glorius once...
        Whoever you are, just leave the forum, no one wants you here spamming the place with your complete nonsense, there’s no sympathy for your accounts being banned or posts deleted, just sod off already, your obviously someone who got banned for this in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          Gotta say I think I disagree with the AA. 20 minutes to go from quarter charge to over 80%? More like an hour to an hour and a half.
          It depends on the charge station - you need the high power ones and there aren't that many of them. There are over 20,000 charging points in the UK, but not everyone is equal (and you can't use the Tesla ones on anything except Teslas - which is a poor way of driving overall EV take-up)

UK-wide map of electric car charging points allowing EV drivers to find EV charge points and plan electric journeys to the nearest charging point.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            It depends on the charge station - you need the high power ones and there aren't that many of them. There are over 20,000 charging points in the UK, but not everyone is equal (and you can't use the Tesla ones on anything except Teslas - which is a poor way of driving overall EV take-up)

https://www.zap-map.com/live/
            Isn’t it only Tesla and their specific high speed chargers that can charge that quickly right now? Otherwise your looking at hours+

Comment

Well that's the thing.. all tories are dicks, and there are many, many reasons to dislike them and criticise them. I just take umbrage at the acceptance of whatever the AA say as fact. They twisted the figures and wording in multiple places to suit their agenda.

rare 200 miles journeys. No, she said regular 200-250 mile journeys.
              the average ev does over 200 miles now. Define average, mean median or mode. Most affordable EVs do not do 200 miles last I looked
              and then the 20 minutes to charge nonsense.

Comment

Well, I'm no expert, but I googled it and you can get ones that go well over 300 miles. There's a VW that does 336 and a Tesla that does almost 400. So as the bloody climate spokesperson you'd think she could pull her finger out and get one of those.

Not disagreeing with your points about the AA, and average miles and charging times, etc. Just criticising the ridiculousness of holding that job and insisting on driving a diesel.

Comment

I didn't read the article, but does she say something like "the limited charging infrastructure is something I'm aiming to change" or just "I need a diesel, so do as I say, not what I do?"

I'd love a Honda-E, but they're so expensive, have a smaller range (by design), there's hardly anywhere to charge and unlike petrol, you're waiting an hour to refuel as opposed to minutes.

I'll be honest, the main reason is the dashboard looks like KITT or something!

Comment

I can see both sides of that argument, but a further point to raise is that these kinds of long-distance journeys are the kind of thing that should be practical and affordable to do by train (but clearly won't be, because of the failed privatisation model and a chronic lack of transport investment anywhere outside of London).

It's like if I fancied going to Scarborough with the missus - even in my 25-year-old thirsty petrol car it would be about £30 in fuel, £7 for rip-off parking, call it £40. Or I can pay £116 in train tickets, about £5 each way for a taxi to the station and it'll be roughly £125. You might be able to game the system a bit by doing it in advance but I'd be surprised if you could get it to under a ton without massive inconvenience. That's still a fair bit more than double.

Comment

Screen wing mirrors that require power as well, THAT looks like a great idea, that was sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I didn't read the article, but does she say something like "the limited charging infrastructure is something I'm aiming to change" or just "I need a diesel, so do as I say, not what I do?"
                        The latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          For some people electric cars make absolutely perfect sense. Me for example. I'm not buying one because I don't want to spend 30k on a new car right now but I'd be fine with one. They're not for everyone though and if I was fairly regularly doing over 200 mile journeys I wouldn't have one; too much hassle at the moment. They're getting better and cheaper all the time though so eventually we can all have them. I'm not defending a Tory so much as questioning the AA figures. I'd like to know what this average car is that does 25 to over 80% in 20 minutes.
                          The logistics of charge at home arent well thought out and not well suited to the uk where space is at a premium. moving the means to get your fuel from an external location to peoples homes doesn't work in all situations so im not sure how they will do it.

At present if you have a drive way then your all good but if you live in a terrace or a flat then your buggered. it got me thinking though how they could fix this for flats they would have to add a charge point to every parking space in the carpark and im not sure ripping every carpark in every flatt to lay electric cables is viable. For a terrace its a lot more difficult. you don't have fixed spaces so you either have to have set bays for each house and mount charge points along the pavement at a massive cost to the council or individual. or you have some sort of retractable system mounted 10 foot up that swings out over your car. On our they would have to allocate spaces to each house, as at present you have no guarantee that you can park outside your own house. If anyone took your space you could potentially ended up with a car you cant use because you cant charge it. Theirs the other issue of multiple cars too i never get parked outside my house as multiple neighbors have multiple cars and often nick your space.
                          Last edited by Lebowski; 03-08-2021, 11:34.

Comment

Scotland will abandon its last COVID measures next Monday

Exclusive: agreement would cement a pro-independence majority at Holyrood and may give Greens ministerial seats

And Sturgeon is looking to enter a minor coalition with the Greens in order to secure a pro-independence majority - current support for independence is said to have fallen to below 50% by the public however

Comment

The third affected school year is closing in and the Government still has no plan for it

Comment

Man thinks his muscles will protect him from COVID, rejects vaccine, dies from COVID

Not to sound callous but it also strikes me that it possibly says more that all the tributes about him talk about his training and focus on fitness rather than him being a decent person. That and how someone can supposedly be so focused on 'fitness' and think it's something defined by your pecs.

Comment

Working...
                                X