No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's one of those plans that feels like a band-aid. Like, we'll blow $19bn on a system that tech progression will probably eclipse and solve in the same timeframe. If it isn't feasible for large scale vehicles in the next 10 or so years just don't do it and look to make the green savings elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      Even still there’s a massive difference between what, 10-15mph from a tram and a lorry at 60. I don’t see it as a viable option for roads.
      What about the trains that use them doing 120 mph? These systems have been in place for decades, they're not just used by dawdling trams. The East Coast Mainline uses such a system, the new HST network will use overhead cables. Germany's ICE3 system trains trundle along the overhead cables at 140 mph. The wear you describe simply is not an issue with these systems.

Whether it's a good system for the road is a different matter (and I'm not fully convinced) - but from an engineering viewpoint, it's perfectly feasible.

An alternative to fossil fueled trucks will need to be found tho. What we need is a country wide maglev monorail
      Last edited by MartyG; 28-07-2021, 10:16.

Comment

Labour blasts the Tories for abandoning quarantining for travellers from Amber countries if they're double vaccinated. Not sure how much difference the US aspect matters atm given we're on their banned list currently.

Comment

I haven't been keeping up with the science as much as I should so what's actually happening there might well render this thought entirely redundant but, with the amount infected (and even deaths, although I'm guessing many or most of those must be in risk categories) who have been doubled vaxxed, it feels like we should be erring on the side of caution here.

Comment

I've already resolved the issue of electric vehicles.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            The motorway's electrified floor needs to be connected to an overhanging charge grid by a large pole.
            As drivers jostle to get into the charging lane, there's a risk of collision, so maybe introduce a encircling large rubber bumper on the cars.

Comment

The Queen lobbied to get herself to be the only exempt person in the country from climate laws

Comment

I guess it's probably not corrupt if you're the Queen? I don't know how being the Queen works. I've never been one.

Comment

It's okay, neither has Liz

Comment

That is so wrong. She’s the queen; she shouldn’t have to lobby.

Comment

Abolish the monarchy and turn all the Royal properties into tacky tourist attractions.

Comment

Boris, Sunak and Javid's economy first restriction abandonment plan already backfires as the UK's economic recovery has stalled - turns out letting the virus run rampant and causing a wave of sickness and isolations isn't so hot for business.

Comment

Maybe if they didn’t waste 37b on the useless app there might be money in the coffers to spend of actual important stuff.

Comment

Overall summary of the respiratory viruses in circulation within the UK

The fall in COVID cases seems to have ended as today marks a second day of it rising again, it's dipped back up to 31,117 marking two days of roughly 4K increases. Deaths are at 85, hospitalisations at 932.

Comment

With cases showing signs of increase the efforts to work out the reason for their fall continues and the current suspected list appears to be:

-Cases continuously increased but events like the Euro matches caused a mass surge that settled back down afterward
                              -COVID testing has also fallen by 20% leading to a decline in detected cases

It's cited that there is evidence infected cases are avoiding going to be tested in order to avoid detection. It was also highlighted as to how much recent developments have slaughtered vaccination rated within the UK with them being called out as being 'woeful'. It's mentioned that there are many cancelled appointments with numerous people either believing the moronic conspiracy theories or buying the Government's new tact that COVID is no longer an issue.

Comment

Well, yeah. No one is testing prior to going on holiday.

Comment

Working...
                                X