No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feel free to start listing them yourself, John.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
      So the vaccinated can still catch it just as easily and also spread it? So its not a vaccination then, its just a flu booster.
      Incorrect. You still catch it, suffer some symptoms, and spread it, but the chances and severity are much less once you're double jabbed.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

"I see no reason..."
        Case numbers erupt to a third wave record of 16,135. Nearly 5,000 more than yesterdays record

Comment

But it's going down, Hancock said so.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Feel free to start listing them yourself, John.
            To be fair, even though it was hardly planned by the Brexit crowd, it turned out it came at the perfect time. An island nation in a pandemic taking back control of its borders, handing it an opportunity to keep out the virus completely? A coincidence it may have been but it worked out so... oh wait.

Comment

Spock has always been a weasel. A man of few words. None of them valuable.

Matt Wanksock rumbled again for promoting a company whose shareholders donate to the party and himself. Politicians don’t even try to hide it anymore. People just don’t care. As long as he’s on their ‘team’, and ‘got Brexit done’, he can do what the hell he likes. It’s getting like the days of Al Capone. The crooks are running the show, and the country edges closer to absolute moral and ethical bankruptcy.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                Politicians don’t even try to hide it anymore. People just don’t care. As long as he’s on their ‘team’, and ‘got Brexit done’, he can do what the hell he likes. It’s getting like the days of Al Capone. The crooks are running the show, and the country edges closer to absolute moral and ethical bankruptcy.
                Politicians haven't changed - this is BAU since Pitt the Younger was PM. it's no closer to ethical bankruptcy than it was back then - they've always been like this. The only real change is that it's 24 hour news now.
                Last edited by MartyG; 23-06-2021, 18:38.

Comment

I didn’t say they hadn’t. I said they are more blatant. I’m the 90s stuff like Cash for Questions helped to bring a regime down. Now, absolutely sod all.

And for God’s sake, we supposedly exist in a more accountable, more enlightened, more civilised society. Where rules and regulations are meant to discourage and punish the excesses of the past, especially those from a proto-industrial society. The fact that we know all this and haven’t learnt from history is a new layer of vileness. We just invent new rules to remove any progressive measures that get in the way of the pigs gorging in the trough. It’s pathetic.
                  Last edited by prinnysquad; 23-06-2021, 18:45.

Comment

Cash for Questions didn't really bring anyone down, Hamilton was cleared by the enquiry - and no one gave a crap about it in the general public any more than they do now - it anything the expenses scandal ruffled more feathers, but most of that was brushed away too, bare a handful of MPs (four Labour MPs and two Tory peers were prosecuted) nothing much came from that either.

Comment

I recall Tory sleaze being a major reason behind the end of Major and the appeal of Blair. We must have very different recollections. Lest we forget that Bell beat Hamilton on that ticket.
                      Last edited by prinnysquad; 23-06-2021, 18:50.

Comment

It was more down to Blair having a nicer smile and Major being souless - cash for questions didn't have much baring on it at all - the Tories had been in power for 18 years at that point - everyone gets sick of them eventually, we just need to wait another 7 years.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 23-06-2021, 18:55.

Comment

That’s not the conclusion that a lot of assessments reach. It was definitely a contributory factor, as part of the general sleaze scandal. Bell smashed Hamilton on that issue alone.

What I’m arguing is that people gave more of a toss then than they did now. Corruption isn’t even well hidden any more. If you disagree, it’s cool. It’s just not what I remember, nor what a quick google has confirmed.

Comment

I'm arguing that they don't - it was just due to flip from Tories to Labour. Such is the two party system. If people cared, the Tories wouldn't have been in power for 18 straight years with Thatcher at the helm for most of it.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 23-06-2021, 19:00.

Comment

Interesting article. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle. It was a factor in the loss of 19 seats. That would have made a big difference in a closer result, yet other factors ran alongside it to bring the administration down, so in this election, it wasn’t as decisive.

To clarify: I didn’t ever say that sleaze lost the Tories the 1997 election. I just said that it seemed to have more public exposure and impact in the 1990s. I truly believe that people care less now. There’s no stats, of course.
                              Last edited by prinnysquad; 23-06-2021, 19:20.

Comment

I've seen it mentioned that the UK population generally favour the right whether they say it or not. It seems many have abandoned Labour recently, too.

Post war free healthcare and education seems a high point and then later everything else changes. Dunno.

Comment

Working...
                                X