No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest tell for me is that I never use Iplayer. I never feel like I've missed anything worth watching on BBC. To be honest I never use any of the channel streaming apps.

Comment

I love the book series His Dark Materials. First season was not too bad and I was looking forward to the second as its my favorite book but then I just...couldn't be bothered. We rarely watch regular tv and even though I told myself I would watch it on Iplayer I never did.

The only shows we watch on it are the odd interesting documentary we hear about online or random inside the factory programs and what's on during bank holidays. Not worth the licence fee, I wouldn't miss Iplayer

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
        The viable alternative is what sky have been doing for over 30 years and many others have copied. You want bbc? Pay for it.
        That's not viable though, because that creates a service like Sky. A "history documentary" channel where everything is about Nazis, bull**** conspiracy theories of ancient aliens and SHARK WEEK.

But it's going to happen; I've made my peace with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          They're snookered, just enough fans to maintain for the protection of the BBC but also just enough reason to keep the abolishing the license fee as a debate tool. They want it gone but can't afford to because that would be the end of the BBC in effect, either they become a much smaller advertising friendly channel or shut down because it'd be be an absolutely god awful subscription service.
          Why would it? Plenty of people like BBC stuff and even if its not your bag they have a lot of beloved archive shows. Making iplayer a paid for worldwide streaming service seems like the obvious solution for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            That's not viable though, because that creates a service like Sky. A "history documentary" channel where everything is about Nazis, bull**** conspiracy theories of ancient aliens and SHARK WEEK.

But it's going to happen; I've made my peace with it.
            I want to see a combination of all of these in 1 show. Ancient shark nazis!

Comment

I think at this point Doctor Who and Line of Duty are the only BBC content I use anymore and I suspect both are financially self-sustainable properties. It doesn't even air its older content anymore leaving that for offshoot channels so I'm not sure anything of value would be lost for me.

Comment

Staff will leave firms if forced to work from home, Chancellor Sunak blatantly lies to business leaders: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56535575

Comment

I didn’t bother with a license and indeed cut the arial out my house just incase they come round.

I find anything produced by the bbc actually worth watching ends up on Netflix or Amazon anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                    Staff will leave firms if forced to work from home, Chancellor Sunak blatantly lies to business leaders: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56535575
                    Unlike Sunak and his crazy rich wife, we don't have a choice.

Comment

It's so dumb for them to even be lying about it. Plenty of Joe Public are now even applying for jobs with WFH being one of the key attraction to roles they're looking at, it's going to stay in a stronger way whether they like it or not. Johnson and Sunak really need to sell up their Pret a Manger shares.

Comment

Counter to what Suckit is saying, I'm actually far more likely to quit my job now if I'm forced to go back and work in the office.

Comment

Obvious specifics of the situation aside this is an absolutely farcical situation.

Comment

Are you kidding? This is insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                              https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...t-intimidation
                              Obvious specifics of the situation aside this is an absolutely farcical situation.
                              Well we all know what the government thinks of people who protest, even if the protest is just.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                                They are afraid of redistribution of cash. Millions of people are pulled in to city centers every day and they spend money, either just on lunch or on impulse buys.
                                They hate the idea that a conservative backer might not be quite as rich because the cash is going to Uncle Bob's sandwich shop, rather then in his pocket.

Comment

Working...
                                X