United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
    OMG I now can't ever unsee her as a Krankie now.
    Lol been saying this for years...she's just such a spitting image of her

Comment

"Vote for an independent Scotland, it'll be fandabby-dozey!

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
        Can someone clarify what the deal is with Sturgeon in about 3 sentences?
        Salmond and Sturgeon: What is the controversy all about?
        The seven key questions facing Nicola Sturgeon

1. The row began when allegations of sexual harassment - which he strongly denied - were made against Mr Salmond by two female civil servants in 2018.

2. The complaints were made after Ms Sturgeon asked for new government policies on sexual harassment to be put in place in the wake of the #MeToo movement. Mr Salmond believed the policy was aimed at him.

3. Mr Salmond and his supporters claim Ms Sturgeon has misled parliament over the government inquiry into the allegations. They have accused officials close to her of conspiring against Mr Salmond. Ms Sturgeon denies these claims.

4. The Scottish government eventually admitted it had botched its investigation. It had to pay Mr Salmond's legal fees of more than £500,000 after it admitted it had acted unlawfully.

5. Then, in January 2019, Mr Salmond was arrested and charged with multiple counts of sexual assault, including attempted rape.

6. The committee is examining the Scottish government's handling of the complaints against Mr Salmond. It has accused both sides of attempting to obstruct and delay its work.

7. The second inquiry is examining whether Ms Sturgeon breached the ministerial code - which sets out how ministers should behave - by interfering with the civil service investigation into the allegations, or by lying to parliament.

Comment

This is mana from heaven for Westminster. Both Johnson and Starmer must be kicking back and enjoying watching the pro-independence core of Scottish politics fighting like cats in a sack.

Comment

I haven’t spoken to anyone who actually gives a toss about this. The pro union parties and the press are making plenty of it but ordinary punters don’t seem fussed. The man on street wants a vaccination, out of lockdown and a return to (your idea of) normality. The Scottish Government is delivering the fastest vaccination roll out in Europe, kids are heading back to school, progress from lockdown may be accelerated and lower league football is coming back. You’d think there was an election coming up.

Comment

All I know is that Nicola Sturgeon seems to make some people incredibly angry but I've never figured out a clear reason as to why.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                All I know is that Nicola Sturgeon seems to make some people incredibly angry but I've never figured out a clear reason as to why.
                I mean, sexism is definitely part of it. But it's also because she's First Minister of Scotland during a divisive time, head of the party that campaigns for independence who won the election, but after they lost the vote for independence itself. She has to say provocative things/make jabs at Westminster because the party needs to try and maintain relevance until maybe a decade passes and they can campaign for another indyref.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                  She’s been vilified by the largely pro union press and media in Scotland for years. I have one friend in particular who cannot stand her but can’t provide any explanation why. It’s bizarre. The sexism element is definitely a thing as Asura points out. Her first meeting with newly elected(ha!) PM Teresa May was covered by the press as if it was a fashion contest not a meeting between heads of state.

Comment

I'd favour Sturgeon in charge over Boris or any of the Tory party especially Gove and Reese Mogg I mean FFS what an absolute cesspit of scum they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      I'd favour Sturgeon in charge over Boris or any of the Tory party especially Gove and Reese Mogg I mean FFS what an absolute cesspit of scum they are.
                      It’s strange that people in Scotland somehow think we’re better off with that lot than trying our own thing.

Comment

I admire the way she speaks her mind to Westminster and takes none of Johnson's ****. She can be refreshingly ferocious. I wish Wales had a first minister as direct as her. Our bloke looks like a sea lard from Adventure Time and has about as much go in him: https://adventuretime.fandom.com/wiki/Sea_Lards

Comment

Drakeford is like a cold weak cup of tea

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                            It’s strange that people in Scotland somehow think we’re better off with that lot than trying our own thing.
                            Only the "WeRtHePEpul" brigade

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                              The sexism element is definitely a thing as Asura points out. Her first meeting with newly elected(ha!) PM Teresa May was covered by the press as if it was a fashion contest not a meeting between heads of state.
                              This was so backwards:

Comment

A year ago:
                                Tuesday, 3 March 2020
                                Johnson holds first Downing St press briefing. Asked if people should stop shaking hands, he says: “I’m shaking hands continuously. I was at a hospital the other night, where I think there were a few coronavirus patients, and I shook hands with everybody.”

Comment

Working...
                                X