No announcement yet.

United Kingdom VII: Taking Pride in Your Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They were daft for pinning February half term in the first place, especially given the figures showed it was impossible to hit that target. Given Lockdown 01 took March-June (and lifted too early) and that this one seems to have roughly hit its limits of effectiveness given it's nowhere near as strict the safe ballpark expectation seems to be January-May unless they do what they should be doing and tighten it right down hard.

Boohoo has bought Debenhams online business for £55m providing a shot in the arm to labour sweat shops across the country

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
      Honestly I think the opposite.

If they expose their metrics or set a date, we'll have nothing but "but you said- but you said-" when those things come around if the government has to change things up due to the evolving situation.

They can't predict the future and I think it's good they're not acting like they can. Their biggest mistake last year was setting any kind of end date, tentative or not.

The end date is "when it's safe".
      So if the end date is when it's safe we're looking at never coming out of Lockdown then?

There surely has to be an idea somewhere...we can't live the rest of our days cooped up away from everything & being scared of everything

Neil

Comment

It'll end up being when vaccination levels meets very low case numbers (unless a more potent variant emerges). Unless things go very well that seems like it could very easily become Summer 2021 with them hoping cases remain supressed enough there onward to not need a Lockdown 04 in the winter (even though social rules will remain in place in some form)

Comment

Well, I for one am looking forward to "Eat Out To Help Out 2 - Three Course Meal Boogaloo" in about twelve weeks and then people wondering why cases have gone up again.

Comment

When is a lockdown not a lockdown?
            When the UK Government says it could be too early to send kids back in April, too early to lift lockdown by Summer, when hospitalisations and deaths remain at an all time high, when the borders are being closed but suddenly Johnson begins to consider lifting some restrictions within the next 2-3 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
              There surely has to be an idea somewhere...we can't live the rest of our days cooped up away from everything & being scared of everything
              There is. The government and SAGE certainly will have a series of metrics that they use to decide this stuff. They just don't want to share it with the public because the public will see that as a binding contract.

Like if they say ">x% of people have had both doses and <y% new cases found today out of tests", what happens if we hit both of those numbers, but the mortality rate spikes? It'll disappoint people.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                Well, I for one am looking forward to "Eat Out To Help Out 2 - Three Course Meal Boogaloo" in about twelve weeks and then people wondering why cases have gone up again.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Maybe EOTHO2 should be for well ventilated restaurants only...

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                    So if the end date is when it's safe we're looking at never coming out of Lockdown then?

Neil
                    Neil, the idea last year that things have to get back to normal is exactly why things never got back to normal.

Comment

Schools should have never of gone back, that was an absolutely fatal move by the gov as the kids have not only re spread it amongst themselves they also re spread it to their parents who then take it into work.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        Neil, the idea last year that things have to get back to normal is exactly why things never got back to normal.
                        If only there had been some historical event we could have referenced that would have shown what actions are likely to make a second spike worse and lengthen the tail in a pandemic situation ...

Comment

Borris saying parts of lock down could be lifted in the next few weeks is absolute lunacy, For a government that's prides itself on its financial competency i cant see how anyone else would have handled this any worse. Biggest financial hit in the world due to this virus plus the double whammy of Brexit too. Brexit is as bad as everyone said it would be it's absolutely shafting our exports and imports as well as decimating our financial sector and manufacturing.

We just take it all in ignoring the fact that Europe was trying to remove tax havens and close various loopholes which would have made it easier for us to tax company's in the UK who actively avoid tax like amazon and Starbucks. The real reason Jhonson and co wanted Brexit so bad is it would have cost them a small fortune. I really wish the UK would wake up to the fact that Johnson, Mogg and co are not looking out for the uk as whole but are more interested in lining their own pockets.
                          Last edited by Lebowski; 25-01-2021, 12:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            There is. The government and SAGE certainly will have a series of metrics that they use to decide this stuff. They just don't want to share it with the public because the public will see that as a binding contract.

Like if they say ">x% of people have had both doses and <y% new cases found today out of tests", what happens if we hit both of those numbers, but the mortality rate spikes? It'll disappoint people.
                            Yep. And the other side of the coin, which is that the ballpark easing date they have in mind is really quite far away, and could result in uproar from some quarters if they announced it. They might have taken the position that they will be better able to manage the public mood by remaining as vague as possible.

Neil, I know lockdown sucks mate, but it's a case of short term pain, long term gain. I'm personally actually really relieved that the restrictions are firm and the easing date a long way off. We can save an absolute ton of lives by holding it down for a few more months while at least the most vulnerable get the jab.

I see it as quite a different situation to 2020. Although we are in lockdown, vaccinations are now in progress, and the end feels very much in sight.

Comment

When we had the first lockdown, we should have been adapting the schools at that point for their return. Individual desks with screens, classrooms moved into large open areas like sports halls, teaching to be done on shifts to allow reduced classroom sizes, hiring more temporary teachers. We did more-or-less nothing acting on the basis that kids don't spread the virus (which everyone knew was nonsense) and that disrupting teaching in any way will completely ruin the lives of children, without any consideration for things like catch-up learning or taking it as an opportunity to review the curriculum and figure out just how much of it is actually of any real benefit to people in the real world.

After I got to about 14, most of my education seemed to revolve around finding out the exact volume of shapes, working out how to do things manually that you'd do on a calculator and trying to find meaning in the tedious works of the world's most overrated playwright. Play within a play? Wish I'd been playing Sega Rally.

Comment

It's nuts that the Government said "schools are fine" for one day then said "schools are not fine" the next day and every school and every pupil had to adapt to online learning overnight.

Comment

Working...
                                X