Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctors call for Pfizer vaccination gaps between the doses to be halved

Comment

The EU regulator is due to decide on approval of AstraZeneca's vaccine on 29 January, with a deal to purchase at least 300m doses.

AstraZeneca vaccine deliveries to the EU may be cut by 60% in the coming months due to production issues

Comment

Biden is serious so the US has probably put in a massive order.

Comment

More and more the 12 week wait between doses is looking likely to be a massive waste of money.
          Half immunise 5+ million people and run out before you get the booster for full immunisation, great.
          Although on a plus side (there is none) it’s the EU 27 that have been delayed, UK/US ordering large amounts, so we may be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
            More and more the 12 week wait between doses is looking likely to be a massive waste of money.
            Half immunise 5+ million people and run out before you get the booster for full immunisation, great.
            Although on a plus side (there is none) it’s the EU 27 that have been delayed, UK/US ordering large amounts, so we may be ok.
            I assumed the EU bit meant the rest of the EU & not us

Neil

Comment

I have a feeling that the vaccine is basically going to be delivered as freemium to those that want it. Get the first does free and the second dose to make it effective will be behind a little padlock.

Earlier in the pandemic, there was talk about charging for parts of the recovery and not being on NHS. I can see that the people handed these vaccination contracts are not exactly always those that have a history of caring for the public.
              Last edited by saif; 24-01-2021, 00:23. Reason: Extra detail

Comment

That makes absolutely no sense - the costs of a continuing pandemic and people getting sick is a far far far higher to the NHS and economy than providing everyone with an effective vaccine for free.

Comment

Yes. It does make no sense. A little like locking down properly and not letting it come back is far more sensible, effective and economically sensible. It does not fit with the ideology of the government.

A little like trade barriers coming in between countries even though it makes no sense. There is an ideology here in play. Not vaccinating nhs staff of they are foreign is fairly similar.

If the second dose is like a booster, then maybe people will need to have regular injections. Let's say that is annual. The flu jab isn't free unless you are in a particular category.

Comment

I get the flu jab for nowt just for working at the council. I don't even see anyone, I'm in an office.

Comment

Yep we get free flu-jabs as well, this was the first winter I decided to have one and then no stocks left, oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by saif View Post
                        Yes. It does make no sense. A little like locking down properly and not letting it come back is far more sensible, effective and economically sensible. It does not fit with the ideology of the government..
                        The vaccines cost £12b, the pandemic has cost £193b - and the government has already stated it's going free (and 30m people in the UK are entitled to a free flu jab too).

There isn't going to be a charge for a second booster shot. It's never going to happen.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 24-01-2021, 18:18.

Comment

Ministers refuse to commit to schools reopening after the Easter holidays

Asked if the UK is close to lifting Lockdown 03 soon Matt Hancock said a clear date was still not known but the indicator he gave was that we were a 'long, long, long way' from the case rate being low enough to consider it.

The Israeli health minister has stated that receiving the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine does not give immediate protection from suffering from COVID

The UK is also looking into data from Israel that suggests the first dose alone provides only 33% effectiveness against the virus

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                            https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...aster-holidays
                            Ministers refuse to commit to schools reopening after the Easter holidays

Asked if the UK is close to lifting Lockdown 03 soon Matt Hancock said a clear date was still not known but the indicator he gave was that we were a 'long, long, long way' from the case rate being low enough to consider it.
                            This is getting pathetic they need to get their **** together & start getting a plan ready to get us of this ****ing lockdown

There has to be a clear idea when they'll remove restrictions it can't keep just being "sometime" it needs to be a set date & it needs to be soon

We all need to get back to some semblance of normality as soon as possible

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                              This is getting pathetic they need to get their **** together & start getting a plan ready to get us of this ****ing lockdown

There has to be a clear idea when they'll remove restrictions it can't keep just being "sometime" it needs to be a set date & it needs to be soon

We all need to get back to some semblance of normality as soon as possible

Neil
                              Honestly I think the opposite.

If they expose their metrics or set a date, we'll have nothing but "but you said- but you said-" when those things come around if the government has to change things up due to the evolving situation.

They can't predict the future and I think it's good they're not acting like they can. Their biggest mistake last year was setting any kind of end date, tentative or not.

The end date is "when it's safe".

Comment

I would much rather they don't set a date or expectations... given their previous ability to over-promise and under deliver I would rather they make absolutely 100% sure ending the lockdown is the right thing to do and just announce it a few days before.

As for the vaccine, this whole 12 weeks gap thing is utter bollocks and has been from the start. The first dose doesn't give you anywhere near the levels of immunity needed without getting that second jab... 12 weeks hasn't been tested, and no other country is risking that approach. If it were anything else other than a single solution to a country wide pandemic you'd look at the science and numbers and halve it... I simply do not understand or believe 12 weeks is giving us any advantage in the approach.

Comment

Working...
                                X