Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
    You imagined it.
    Nah, your quote points to an acknowledgement of worker reluctance. The overall editorial drift of the article is that city 'experts' expect a full return in the fullness of time.

Comment

And they're likely to be spot on with that assessment - so I'm not really sure what your point is - that the BBC is somehow being bias against home working?
      Last edited by MartyG; 08-06-2021, 11:00.

Comment

Labour leader among those affected by changes, which will increase the number of English constituencies at the expense of Scotland and Wales

UK electoral officials showcase the first stage in changing boundaries

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ies-in-decades
          Whats the point of this exactly? Apart from wasting taxpayers money obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ies-in-decades
            It's called gerrymandering. To manipulate the boundaries of (an electoral constituency) so as to favour one party.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              It's called gerrymandering. To manipulate the boundaries of (an electoral constituency) so as to favour one party.
              As the article points out tho, the boundary changes could reduce the number of Tory seats due to their gains in the North, though the biggest change in seats is in the South East.

The claimed idea was to make all constituencies equal size as changing populations have made them disproportional, but it all depends on how those boundaries are drawn up and we won't know for sure until 2023.

With the Tories having a majority of 80 seats, it wouldn't make much difference at the moment, in fact polling was showing in May this year that if a GE was called currently, the Tories would be likely to extend that majority to as much as 122 (so say the Telegraph anyway).
              Last edited by MartyG; 08-06-2021, 13:44.

Comment

I'm starting to come to terms with how office working, like going into the office etc. might be on the way out, and it's actually really depressing me.

I don't want to sit in a room alone for 9 hours a day, most days of the week. I really liked working with a creative team in the same shared workspace. But a lot of people at my workplace are very keen to not have to work in the office anymore, which means we might have to go down that route - because even if 25% of the company wants to be in the office, it's not really "in the office" if you're sitting at a computer all the time, doing all your meetings via webcam on Microsoft Teams.

I think, in part, it's because I have a job that I like, and I spent a lot of time in my life working towards having that job, because I wanted this. Like I got into my career because I found that kind of work fulfilling. Now it seems that's coming to an end and I'm at a bit of a loose end.

Comment

I think the reality is that is a situation that doesn't have a satisfactory outcome. Some people want to stay home forever. Other people want to get back to being in the same space. And a hybrid could be very messy for most businesses. Which really leaves only one option - remove the whole idea of work entirely. Have robots provide for us while everything we need is simply given to us. Why this hasn't been proposed before is a mystery to me.

I'm sure I can count on your vote when the time comes.

Comment

People are different I guess. Sitting on my own all day every day is ****ing awesome. I get my work done, am measured on my output without anyone looking over my shoulder. I can be interrupted but only on my terms; if someone wants to talk to me and it’s inconvenient at the time I just ignore whatever method they’re using to try and speak to me and contact them later. If I want to have lunch at 11, or 3pm I can. If I want to walk the dog for an hour I can. Or go for a bike ride, in the middle of the day if I want. Hope it carries on forever.

I have colleagues who do not share my views however!

Comment

I'm certainly with you though Brad!
                      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Overall summary of the respiratory viruses in circulation within the UK

6,048 cases today, second highest of the current surge if I recall correctly. Deaths - 13.

Percentages wise, case rises over the week are now reaching levels of 60%+ increases, deaths circa 67.5%
                        6 days on, hospitalisations still yet to be updated.

Comment

Finally the French do something I approve of

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                            People are different I guess. Sitting on my own all day every day is ****ing awesome. I get my work done, am measured on my output without anyone looking over my shoulder. I can be interrupted but only on my terms; if someone wants to talk to me and it’s inconvenient at the time I just ignore whatever method they’re using to try and speak to me and contact them later. If I want to have lunch at 11, or 3pm I can. If I want to walk the dog for an hour I can. Or go for a bike ride, in the middle of the day if I want. Hope it carries on forever.

I have colleagues who do not share my views however!
                            I equally love and hate working from home.

I love being with the baby while he is still a baby, getting him up in the morning, etc.
                            I like teaching online and using those resources.
                            I like being able to check my turnip prices and open my gates whenever they spike.

I hate that I have to fight the cat to use the computer as she's always sitting between the mouse and keyboard, almost always on the CTRL key. (spelling mistakes are due to unintentional zooming)
                            I hate that I can't see the students working, and that really there is only communication when something goes wrong.

Comment

I've been back in the office since last September when they started allowing childcare bubbles & Chloe went back to school & I haven't looked back

Those 6 months at home were the worst
                              It started off as a novelty but that soon wore off
                              It was fun being able to play FIFA on the sofa & still keep an eye on the screen for emails but eventually even I tired of that

The ultimate worst was when the other half was working home as well
                              I absolutely hated that time being with her 24 hours a day 7 days a week absolutely was painful I can barely manage a few hours a night & weekends without being forced into all day as well
                              Luckily being NHS (in a pathology lab) they let her back to the office quite early which was a god send

I missed having people to talk to & the office environment a lot so I'm really glad to be back

Plus my home stopped being a home we don't have spare room so my office setup had to sit on my dining room table with paperwork & trays there too in full view at all times it was awful & my dining room table was unusable for the whole time

Just not enjoyable time for me

Neil

Comment

It's no surprise to anyone here, but I love it.

First up, I get to have more time in bed and can take time to do things like have a proper cooked breakfast instead of trying to shoehorn getting showered/dressed/pack my bag/drive to work in as little time as possible. I'm a lot more rested and I get more hours in the day for me.

Next up is that I don't have to deal with the feelings of doom that I always got from going to that place. Sometimes I'd just sit in the car and stare at the building, dreading going in. It isn't that I hate people, but in my line of work, the "buzz" of an office is actually not helpful as I'm reliant on concentration and accuracy above all else. An open plan office is the opposite of what I need and I've made that case to them frequently. I need silence and solitude. Does it get boring? Sure, but it gets a lot more boring when I'm still there an hour after everyone else has gone home because I kept getting broken off so my figures don't tally and after I eventually finish I've still got to drive home and cook my dinner and stress about everything still being wrong when I go in tomorrow. If I get a few minutes where I'm bored and want to talk to people I'll just flick Twitter on for a bit or go on here and ramble on about Wrestle War.

The separation between home and work I've found to be quite easy, I just turn the laptop off and put it in my bag and then it's gone. I think that's easier said than done with some workplaces. I would strongly advise to keep two phones on the go, one for work (that gets switched off) and another just for friends and family.

If I had to say one thing I miss about the office (I go in once a week anyway), I liked that bit just before we broke up for Christmas and I'd be the last of the office staff in so me and the security guards would swipe all the leftover buns and cake. Other than that, it can suck it.

Comment

Working...
                                X