No announcement yet.

Dreamcast in 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I preferred the cosier first game too. I keep meaning to revisit it via the PS4/xbox updates but I have a feeling they might lose as much as they've added. There's just something about those original Dreamcast visuals that remains special.

Comment

For me it's both samba de amigo games and space channel 5 and that's pretty much it, never found the console to be as legendary or underappreciated as the internet seems to think. In fact i think it's grossly overhyped, the majority of the game library doesn't gel with me it's just not a machine i really got on with that much despite owning one twice.

Comment

I adore it but I think for me in 2021 we've reached a point where, niggles with each of its versions aside, the majority of its most worthwhile library is available on other systems so I no longer feel the need to go through the effort to go back to the machine. It's bones have pretty much been picked clean at this point.

Comment

GDEMU and your all done.

Comment

I got one at launch and it was worlds ahead of the then-current competition - experiencing stuff like Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi and particularly Phantasy Star Online was fantastic and I have very fond memories of it. Samba de Amigo, the fishing games, Virtual On with the custom controllers were also fantastic to play and Seaman was brilliant despite nothing ever really happening. I still find the above titles great fun to play but I am certain nostalgia is mostly to blame there.

Coming into it now the wow factor will be absent, and as above, most games have been ported to other systems where you won't have to put up with the noise, slow loading and very fragile discs. Skies of Arcadia is much less irritating on the Gamecube.

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
              GDEMU and your all done.
              I've been very impressed with the Terraonion MODE too. I have two DCs both with knackered lasers so this is the way to go I reckon.

The DC is a great console if you're a shmup fan but most of those titles command serious money these days.

Comment

There seems to be a lack of love for Lack of Love in this thread.

Comment

I love the DC, but even as a big fan I'll admit that it doesn't have the most fully-rounded game library. If you're a fan of arcade ports like I am, it's a fantastic machine to own. It does struggle a bit in terms of super long/in-depth games - not that there aren't any! For what the system costs though, both now and then, I think it's worth most folks owning it.

I do think it stands up well in terms of visuals though even today. While it doesn't have the raw power of the PS2, I think the DC has a nice look as it had good texture filtering and largely avoided that weird jaggy-edged aliased look that many PS2 games have.

Comment

For me it has *much* more vibrant colour output than the PS2 and nicer textures too. The GameCube seemed to offer more of what the DC did, and better, whereas the monster powerhouse Xbox had the best of all the other three put together and threw in 720p for good measure. And a butt ugly box and huge pad.

Comment

Thanks all, plenty to get my teeth into here.

Looking at Yahoo prices, Space Channel 5, Crazy Taxi, Chu Chu Rocket and Shenmue can be had very cheap so they're no brainers. JSR, Samba de Amigo, Space Channel 5 Part 2 etc come at a heftier price tag, and unsurprisingly the more obscure stuff like Roommania #203 and Lack of Love seem pretty hard to come by (though not prohibitively expensive when they do).

Comment

Has anybody used one of the DC HDMI cables that are available?

Amazon have one for £23.99 at the moment and I'm sorely tempted as my VGA box audio doesn't seem to work and I can't stand blurry compo****e.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                          There seems to be a lack of love for Lack of Love in this thread.
                          lol

Comment

Definitely worth remembering that some of the better Dreamcast games have been ported elsewhere. Also, some of them were great fun with the peripherals or with the four player so you need to bear that in mind too.
                            I enjoyed a lot of the DC library but can see that there is not much on there that has not been ported. JSR is an exceptional game but the remaster is better. The DC pad is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by saif View Post
                              Definitely worth remembering that some of the better Dreamcast games have been ported elsewhere. Also, some of them were great fun with the peripherals or with the four player so you need to bear that in mind too.
                              I enjoyed a lot of the DC library but can see that there is not much on there that has not been ported. JSR is an exceptional game but the remaster is better. The DC pad is terrible.
                              There is a Retro Fighters DC pad which is really good. You can also buy a Brook adapter so you can run other controllers, arcade stick etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mikejenkins_uk View Post
                                Skies of Arcadia is much less irritating on the Gamecube.
                                If there was ever a game actually in need of a definitive edition, Skies of Arcadia is most definitely it. While DC is notorious for its encounter rate and slow loading times, GC's QoL improvements and additional quests are offset by its butchered, compressed-to-hell audio. Not only did minidisc storage limitations mean most voice clips and SFX sound like they're coming through an air vent, but differing audio architecture ended up with most of Legends' OST missing instruments. I heard a rip of the Kingdom of Ixa'Taka theme, which I had found blaringly irritating in my playthrough of Legends, on YouTube via this very forum and couldn't believe I was hearing the same piece of music.

Last edited by danstan21; 27-01-2021, 13:29.

Comment

Working...
                                X