Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xenocider built from the ground up and now shipping

Comprehensive review is up at

Love abit of space harrier myself though not enough funds for me at the min , blimming megadrive buys

Dream just keeps on giving in 21

Comment

Whilst I love the Dreamcast and still remember it as one of my most enjoyable periods of gaming, I think it's certainly correct that a lot of the best games did end up with superior ports (or superior sequels) on other consoles.

A few other recommendations that come to mind...

- Power Stone is the obvious one.
      - I'm not a big fan of fighting games so can't comment on the finer aspects of it, but I enjoyed Project Justice quite a lot at the time.
      - Borderdown...but the price is a bit scary!
      - I haven't played it in a long time, but Bangai O was lots of fun (I should play it again actually!)
      - I enjoyed Psyvariar 2 and Triggerheart Exelcia when they came out, but given the cost I probably wouldn't recommend them over some more modern shoot em ups.
      - Mars Matrix, though the DC port has ugly scaling, so I prefer it on an emulator these days (I'd love a Shottriggers release of this!).
      - HotD2 is still great if you have a CRT.
      - Typing of the Dead for something a little different!
      - I still prefer Crazy Taxi with the original voices and music. I haven't played it much, but I would assume CT2 if you want more of the same.
      - I got quite a few hours out of Daytona USA, though the controls a little twitchy. It was better with the wheel.
      - Best console version of Re-Volt!
      - A few people mentioned Space Channel 5, though even when my DC was shiny and new the FMV backgrounds and the characters would go out of sync sometimes and I always thought it ran better on the PS2, though the Japanese version has a nice sparkly sleeve!
      - Jet Set Radio is a bit style over subatance and yes there is a PS3/Steam version, but again the Japanese version has a nice sleeve and I always feel it will have a strong association with the Dreamcast.

I would also recommend the Retro Fighters controller (I never use the official controller anymore).

I've had my DC set up again since Christmas and while it seems to handle burned discs just fine, most of my originals now only work with the console upside down. It's getting old...
      Last edited by ZipZap; 29-01-2021, 09:44.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumLeap View Post
        Wow, thanks for the recommendation! I'd never have come across that myself. As a big fan of Sin & Punishment this looks right up my alley (though admittedly some of the gameplay looks a bit slow - but maybe that's just the earlier levels).

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
        I've had my DC set up again since Christmas and while it seems to handle burned discs just fine, most of my originals now only work with the console upside down. It's getting old...
        I'm probably not going to fork out for any of the rarer DC games for precisely this reason. Between unreliable CD drives and DC games being especially susceptible to 'disc rot' it feels too risky financially. While I've spent an eye-watering amount over the years on Nintendo (particularly N64) stuff, I know that if times get tough in the future I'll be able to sell most of it on for around what I paid for it; DC rarities feel like ticking time bombs.

I might make an exception for Cosmic Smash. Maybe.
        Last edited by danstan21; 30-01-2021, 05:02.

Comment

I recently bought in all the equipment to do the GDMU setup. I have had my original Japanese Dreamcast since launch and a good library of original games. I mainly did it because of the failing GDROM drive and the noise of it. It is so easy to do the mod as well, no soldering. Pretty much the perfect setup for playing Dreamcast now - future proof, kind of. You can even go as far as installing the DCHDMI mod, but that is a little too far for me in skill level, plus I prefer to play on a CRT anyway. I am tempted to sell my original discs now, ..hmm, not sure as it is the only part of my retro stuff I have held onto along with my Neo Geo CDs.

Comment

With the recent DF video on Mister, I'm wondering how long it's going to be before that's the definitive way to play DC games.

The DC's hardware has always been notorious for being unreliable, even back when it was new (it's actually the only home console I've hever had to return it to the manufacturer).

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              With the recent DF video on Mister, I'm wondering how long it's going to be before that's the definitive way to play DC games.

The DC's hardware has always been notorious for being unreliable, even back when it was new (it's actually the only home console I've hever had to return it to the manufacturer).
              I think Kevtris has said he thinks the limit for FPGA at the moment is N64/PSX, but eventually I'm sure it will happen.

I know there was that issue with power supplies back in the day, but aside from the dodgy drive, my Dreamcast runs fine and will hopefully continue to do so for a while yet!

I'm considering a GDEMU myself, or possibly a MODE. The MODE seems better, but it's a lot more expensive. I have a collection of 50 or so games which I'd like to be able to still use though, so may pick up a second console at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                I know there was that issue with power supplies back in the day, but aside from the dodgy drive, my Dreamcast runs fine and will hopefully continue to do so for a while yet!
                There are a few common issues. There's a problem that can cause the machine to reset at random intervals, which I believe gets worse until it does it every 10 seconds or so, there's an issue where the controller board can blow and require replacing or controllers cease to work... In my case, my faulty unit developed a visual fault where the textures on things in-game displayed corrupted graphics. Then, as you say, it's susceptible to the problems of all disc-based consoles, and it turns ciggie-teeth-yellow.

I just feel that the DC is a prime candidate for something like Mister.

Comment

The resetting problem is irritating, but it's something that you can fix in about 2 minutes with a screwdriver to get the case undone and some isopropyl on a cotton swab to wipe the pins. It will come back eventually, just think of it as taking it in for an annual service (because that's about how often you need to fix it). It's just a design fault more than anything else, they all do it.

As with all disc-based consoles though, it would be nice if somebody comes up with a perfect solution for it. I can't imagine the DC lasting for decades easily, especially as they naturally run quite hot.

Comment

I used to just solder the PSU to the motherboard, not via the connector of course otherwise you wouldn't be able to remove the PSU. lol

Comment

Yeah, the resetting problem is easily fixed. I've done it lots of times and I'm absolutely useless at that sort of thing usually. The DC is amazingly easy to take apart too, it's a 5 minute job.

Comment

Surprise announcement from Pixelheart this evening , Andros Dunos 2 ( first being on the neo ) is coming out on the dreamcast that will never die.

Currently , there's 29 independent releases due in the next 18months from independent publishers !

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumLeap View Post

Comprehensive review is up at

Love abit of space harrier myself though not enough funds for me at the min , blimming megadrive buys

Dream just keeps on giving in 21
                          I've been a play tester on this game for the past 5 years or so. It's come a long way. Got a review coming out myself soon too.

Comment

Regards connection I have VGA-HDMI adaptor, while a proper VGA box (Akita mentioned) would Centre the screen more, black line down side is small and stereo leads that I plug into sound bar. Only Non VGA game is Dino Crisis own.

After owning a Japanese one since 1999 and trading it for my Japanese PS2 in 2000 always missed it. So re bought one 2 years ago and all the games I used to have plus a few more. I love a quick blast on my Dreamcast now and then, don’t get much time for retro stuff sadly. My main go to games that have not been Remastered/have sequels on other machines:

Power Stone
                            Ferrari F355 Challenge
                            Sega Rally 2
                            Daytona
                            Zombie Revenge
                            Dynamite Deka 2
                            Last edited by JU!; 29-03-2021, 21:31.

Comment

^DEFFO Ferrari F355. Still a stunnah. What a beautiful game. To me, it's the nicest-looking DC game ever. It's the only DC game I still own, alongside a Chu Chu Rocket and a Sega Rally 2 with snapped cases. It's the only reason I keep my DC, tbh. It's THAT good.

(I own the PS2 version, too, but though it's good, it's nowhere near THAT good).

I'd also pop HOTD2 up there, too. It's EFFORTLESS. Pure mastery of the arcade at home. But I have that on OGXB and Wii so I sadly sold my copy of it yonks back.

Comment

Worth mentioning that a lot of the PS2 ports of DC games aren't as good.

Comment

Working...
                                X