Retro|Spective 169: Desert Strike

History in Games:
    1992 - Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf
    1993 - Jungle Strike
    1994 - Urban Strike
    1996 - Soviet Strike
    1997 - Nuclear Strike

Overview:
    For five years in the mid-90's the Strike series was one of EA's popular star attractions but as is typical for the company has remained dormant ever since its popularity first waned. Controlling a fuelled and armed helicopter player set off into levels taking on several mission targets whilst ensuring enemies or falling ammo/fuel levels didn't bring them crashing into the ground before the mission was complete. Completing missions would reduce the difficulty in each levels Danger Zone which once beaten would mean the level was finally defeated.

Where you a fan of the series?
    If so what were your memories and was EA right in leaving it in the past?

Now you’re f*cking talking! Only played the first two but loved, LOVED them. Original Mega Drive versions were great but props to the Lynx version of Desert which was almost like the 16-bit version and the Amiga version too which had nice explosions and much better audio than the MD version.

Jungle improved in every way possible, what a sequel. More and better cut scenes, more varied levels, more varied missions. But feck me, how difficult?!? Even the first mission is bloody hard with the pickups being very tight, especially armour.

Man, once I’ve finished watching the Cup game tonight I might bust out Jungle.

Comment

Working...
    X