We're All Going on a Summe... Oh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're All Going on a Summe... Oh

After a year of restrictions and lockdowns we're now into 2021 and so far the road map ahead looks very familiar particularly where international travel is concerned. Any attempts to go abroad carry not just the risks of infection but also quarantining or loss of money which has led to an expectation that restrictions allowing the summer period could be a major one for UK holiday makers staying within our own borders when looking to get some time away from work and home.

Are you planning a holiday this year?
    If not, given the state of the world, when do you think your next one will be and how long has it been so far for you?

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    Honestly, we had a look at Tui this week for the summer, just to see the discounts. As they're with ATOL, they guarantee a reasonable amount of safety, meaning if you book and the situation isn't much better by the time it comes around, you'll be able to get a refund, so if the discount was severe, it might be worth it, provided you're fine with it maybe not happening.

But realistically, I don't think it's a good idea to book anywhere for the summer unless you're, I dunno, going to a private villa.

Honestly I don't think there's much point, either. Speaking as someone who has been a shut-in for nearly all of this, it's going to feel like a holiday the moment things start opening again. Cinemas! Restaurants! Pubs! I think it's going to be great.

Comment

This is the longest my wife has ever had to go without seeing her family (she’s from Toronto) and we’d normally spend part of January in Canada and a couple of other visits during the year. We’ve had to face up to the fact that it’s probably going to be next year before we can visit again which is proving incredibly hard for her. Video chats are a saving Grace. We’ve now not been over since January 2020.

Comment

We've been tempted to book a house somewhere in the country for a week towards the end of the summer. We wouldn't go anywhere with people and would take care of ourselves but it would be a break.

While I'm looking forward to stuff opening up, like Asura, I have a feeling it's going to feel a lot less fun than it should. Firstly because there isn't going to be a big "everything is okay now" moment. It's going to be such a slow crawl that I don't think we'll ever have that moment of celebration. And the other thing is that, precisely because of that slow crawl, I think we're going to be bringing 18 months or more worth of nerves with us on all those first experiences. Because we don't have an absolutely 100% guaranteed vaccine and we have a rampant virus that can mutate, I don't know how confident we're going to feel as we try to get back to normal. Are we really safe? Has anyone here got it? What if I still catch it?

At the risk of raining on everyone's parade, if anyone feels truly confident with it they probably aren't thinking hard enough about the reality.

So that's why I want a break but one that works within the confines of covid. I will not be getting on a plane any time soon, that's for sure.

Comment

Would love to go on holiday this summer but reality is it probably isn’t going to happen and if I’m honest the prospect of sitting on a plane for hours wearing a mask then arriving somewhere where pretty much everything will be closed just is not appealing in the slightest, hopefully 2022 things will be much better.

Though if anyone insisting on booking in the hope there is some normality by the summer, if you can be sure to book it using a credit card, much better protection than using debit cards if things don’t work out. I wouldn’t trust the goodwill of any travel agent etc to give speedy refunds if things don’t work out

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post

If not, given the state of the world, when do you think your next one will be and how long has it been so far for you?
            Hahahahahaaaaaaaaa!!

The way things are going I'll be happy to be able to keep a roof over my head never mind going away somewhere.

Comment

We're spitballing a plan for a holiday but we're targeting... Sept/Oct 2023

Being realistic about COVID is certainly part of it but so is holding off till Jr3 is at a suitable age for long distance travel and also being able to appreciate the experience. If it all comes together the plan is to go to the US to either Florida or LA/Vegas. Basically any option where taking them to a Disney Park is on the card whilst they're in the age bracket to realyl be bowled by the experience as once the opportunity is gone it's gone forever. Main issue for us will always be we're a party of 5 and a huge amount of US hotels have issues with rooms of more than 4. Jr1 will be 8yr old at that point so the 8-3yr old age range spread across all three kids feels like a real sweet spot for taking them.

Before then though holidays seem off the card. I've got absolutely zero time for domestic based holidays, the UK is basically land of the day trip to me. Whilst there are some beautiful locations to be found there's nowhere that would feel removed enough for me to feel like I've been on holiday or would warrant the costs involved in an extended break away.

The last 'holiday' for me now was December 2014 with three nights just outside Disneyland Paris in the bitter cold. The last actual proper holiday was when I got married in September 2012, nearly a decade ago, so I'm less inclined to feel sorry for anyone complaining they didn't get away last year

Comment

My other half is really missing travel, but even considering this year is far too optimistic.

Comment

The way that I have holidayed over the last few years is basically unfeasible now. I used to not really book anything and then get on a train/ferry and then travel to some cities walking about and not planning anything. It was quite fun, but did generally involve going to a number of cities and enjoying the movement aspect of it all. That seems incredibly unlikely now.
                  People talk about enjoying the planning (which you can do in this situation) but I cannot even really do that!

As a result, I am really not sure what I can do. I live on my own and have not seen anyone for months - I can imagine that a holiday away might all be a bit too much!

Comment

Given how bad the UK infection and death rates are, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get put on a permanent ban list from at least the EU until its under control. Plus mandatory tests before you travel for any essential travelling.

I would not plan anything at all for at least another year abroad personally.

Comment

I don’t go anywhere during summer as honestly I’m happy enough in this country during that time. If I get time I might pop to the seaside for a day, but honestly I’m happy to just enjoy the weather and save my annual leave until winter.

For the last few years I’ve been going to away in January, which I reckon is the bleakest time of the year here. Most people are skint and miserable, working like crazy because they feel regret for slacking off on the run up to Christmas, the weather becomes your enemy. But elsewhere in the world, it’s peak season. The last few years I’ve been going to Thailand, but not this time as the borders are closed unless you do an expensive 2 week quarantine first (almost zero takers).

However, they’re rolling out the Oxford PAL 50Hz compatible vaccine there shortly and expect to open normally to any vaccinated tourists sometime round Q3 2021. Provided there aren’t any major delays and I can get my vaccine here before I go, should be OK to go early 2022.

I think it’s worth bearing in mind that if you’re planning to take it in the UK this summer, regardless of whether you normally do or not, I think there’s going to be much greater demand for domestic breaks this year even if they don’t cancel overseas travel. Popular locations will be packed, so people will either be widely ignoring distancing rules or there’ll be huge queues for attractions (until they get closed by the authorities due to high risk). Can imagine some price-gouging too. I’d give this season a miss myself.

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Depending on how things go I would like to go to Munich in September for the motor show but I’m unsure if it will be on. A trip to Luxembourg to visit friends there before the end of the year would be great.
                          My priority is just getting down to Wales to visit my family. Even though it’s home from home it’s going to feel like a holiday next time I get there. Might even go home via Arcade Club.

Comment

We have a two year old, travelling isn't exactly easy full stop hah hah. I think if the restrictions ease enough later in the year, we may go away for a few days somewhere, maybe the south coast. The missus is definitely missing the sand and sun in her life.
                            Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

That's an interesting question.
                              At present, the number of deaths are 1K+ daily and we've just reached 100K total Covid-related deaths, so I don't see this going away any time soon.

If restrictions ease later in the year, we'll probably go to Folkestone, but I just don't think 2021 will reach a level where unnecessary travel will be viable.

So the idea of going abroad is even less likely.

We had planned to go to Florida in 2020.
                              I'd still love to go, but I'd like to see Biden getting a hold on the virus a bit first.

Just going for a pint with mates is an alien concept at the moment, so travel seems even stranger.

Comment

Working...
                              X