Cyber Shadow [Everything]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyber Shadow [Everything]

Just came out this week, developed by Mechanical Head Studios and published by Yacht Club Games.

Played a couple of hours worth so far, and I quite like it. For what it's worth, I've not played The Messenger, which I understand to be similar in its 'Ninja Gaiden meets modern sensibilities' approach.

The story is utter bobbins, but more importantly it controls pretty well and has some decent stage ideas. I've not got all of the power-ups yet, which I understand makes it much more enjoyable, but even with a limited move set it feels pretty good in your hands.

One thing I found interesting was that they've tried to make checkpoints more relevant by giving you the ability to by consistent power-ups for each of them through in-game currency. I say interesting, mainly as doing something more with an established mechanic like a checkpoint was one of the things that first struck me with Shovel Knight - I wonder if they charged a consultancy fee on the idea

Does it have any metroidvania elements or is it straight platforming?

Comment

It looks nice and has good controls. I keep wanting to crouch and can't which feels odd.

There's too many flying enemies and bitty nonsense. I don't think I'm in the right mood for it atm, or maybe I'm just over retro styled games.

It's free on Games Pass though and worth checking out.
      Last edited by Cepp; 28-01-2021, 01:15. Reason: I was in a bit of a foul mood when I wrote this. It's fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Battousai View Post
        Does it have any metroidvania elements or is it straight platforming?
        Metroidvania elements. You can revisit old levels to find more SP and HP upgrades.

I'm almost finished (on chapter 10) and I've really enjoyed it. It's doesn't feel too difficult but definitely not a walk in the park. Some achievements are proving to be a real pain the ass though.

Comment

Yeah it's pretty linear, just how I like my action platformers.

I just reached Chapter 5. Mekadragon was the first challenging boss, far more difficult than the end of level boss in fact.

Keeping hold of your powerups during boss battles makes everything so much easier. It's a good incentive to learn patterns and dodge attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouenben View Post
            Metroidvania elements. You can revisit old levels to find more SP and HP upgrades.

I'm almost finished (on chapter 10) and I've really enjoyed it. It's doesn't feel too difficult but definitely not a walk in the park. Some achievements are proving to be a real pain the ass though.
            I was wanting to check it out anyways but this seals the deal. Hopefully it gets a physical I'm not big on dling games.

Comment

Beat the game yesterday then went back and got the last missing upgrades and rebeat the final boss. Was pretty challenging but manageable. Sadly no way to go fight old bosses for missing achievements just have to play through again.

Comment

Much the same here; beat the boss, went back for items, beat him again for the 100% trophy. Didn't enjoy it so much as to warrant replaying the whole thing to shoot for the rest of the trophies, but it was decent fun for the time it took.

I'll perhaps give it a bit and then finally stick on The Messenger.

Comment

I was looking at this.. The Messenger - whilst fun - feels like it out stays it's welcome. This might be a nice alt.

Comment

Working...
                  X