Ghibli Club (mainly on Netflix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghibli Club (mainly on Netflix)

Hi all. Not sure how appropriate this is for the forum (do please let me know if it is not) but here we go!

After chatting with a friend/acquaintance that was in that position, we decided to watch together (in the sense of a book club, rather than actually watching at exactly the same time) a load of the Ghibli films about once a week. Although the order has not yet been decided, we have started chronologically in order of release (and will probably continue like this). It is kind of fun watching at roughly the same time but also flexible as it is not the exact same time.

Why not join the club?

There are over twenty films on Netflix UK so they are relatively easy to stream for many people.

If you would like to join the club, the only thing that you have to do is watch along at roughly the same pace and provide a three word review (3WR) after watching.
    (original blog post: https://walletsandswords.blogspot.co...ibli-club.html)

We have only seen two so far (and Totoro this week) and here are the 3 word review received on those

Nausicaa: https://walletsandswords.blogspot.co...wind-1984.html
    Laputa: https://walletsandswords.blogspot.co...-sky-1986.html

This is neat - I'd like to try and get involved, but honestly, even this quite relaxed pace is going to outpace my current film watching schedule! Are there strict rules about commitment?

Comment

Not at all!
      It is just a schedule to give it some pace.
      Watch Nausicaa and if you want to join in, happy to add your 3 word review in whenever really!

Comment

The reviews are in:
        風の谷のナウシカ
        Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

The Wind Worriers
        Baited Ohms raging
        Ohm My God
        Persuasive pantsless princess
        Chocobos are real
        Not seeing red

Comment

Originally posted by saif View Post
          The reviews are in:
          風の谷のナウシカ
          Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

The Wind Worriers
          Baited Ohms raging
          Ohm My God
          Persuasive pantsless princess
          Chocobos are real
          Not seeing red
          These are brilliant!

I watched this again the other day, and I was struck by how the subterranean bug world section had clearly been so comprehensively taken up by Monster Hunter World for the Coral Highlands.

Comment

Yeah, in hindsight, it seems like it was hugely influential in games design. Eye colour showing rage state? Yeah, sure!

Golgo, if you want to add to the 3wrs, feel free. No further commitment

Comment

Although weekly, just clearing the backlog (this is last week's)

天空の城ラピュタ
              Laputa: Castle in the Sky

Nature reclaims Laputa
              Pink Professing Pirates
              Pirate princess prevails
              Gives you wings
              Pirates! Pilots! Islets!
              Gardener robot's realm

Comment

I did it! I watched a thing! I wasn't kidding about my film watching being really bad lately, and I'd not realised how much I missed just sitting down and watching a thing for myself. It was great! Have dropped you a PM saif, and will try to speed up this week and keep up for the rest.

I've always liked Nausicaa, but I think this is the first time I've gone in specifically thinking about its age and what influences it could've leaned on, and then shaped in turn. I don't often feel like this is a necessity, but actually thinking about it being older than me (just by a few weeks) felt a similar kind of lightning bolt moment when I did the same with Blade Runner.

Also: the main theme is so beautiful, but I'd forgotten about so much of the rest of the music. Some of the more action-centric scenes sound like they've been scored by Rick Wakeman!

Final thing, just leaving this here as I've got this nice little Ghibli corner on top of one of the bookshelves in the new place. I was lazy this time and watched the film from Netflix, but definitely going to make a bit more of an occasion when it comes to some of the others, and enjoy appreciating the discs. There are some that will be first time watches, even!

Comment

It is a wonderful film, really well made and feels heartfelt.

Thanks [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION] you youngster!

Comment

I'll try to follow your schedule when I can, but I won't be able to resist reviewing:

Laputa:
                    Plummet, prideful men!

Nausicaa:
                    Shoulder-fox nips.

The Netflix service has been great for several I'd neglected, especially a few of the ones not directed by Miyazaki.

Comment

Awesome. Seems like I will have to update posts every so often on the blog

Comment

This week's film is
                        Kiki's Delivery Service

Comment

The reviews are in! (and updated on the blog for all other entries received on older films)

となりのトトロ      My Neighbour Totoro [link to netflix]    Released: 16 April 1988 (86 min) Director: Hayao Miyazaki Producer: Toru Hara ...

となりのトトロ My Neighbour Totoro
                          Reviews:
                          Imaginative Parenting Solutions
                          Catbus saves the day
                          Acorns growing love
                          The Cational Express
                          Not my neighbour
                          **** eating grins

Comment

魔女の宅急便      Kiki's Delivery Service[link to netflix]    Released: 29 July 1989 (102 min) Director: Hayao Miyazaki Producer: Hayao Mi...

魔女の宅急便 Kiki's Delivery Service
                            Kiki's Dee-Lightful
                            Witch invents Deliveroo
                            Supergirl does Amazon
                            Pie by sky
                            Key(ki) Growth Deliverables
                            Windswept witch wavers
                            Unreliable Flying Objects

Comment

This week's film is
                              Only Yesterday

Comment