No announcement yet.

All Good Things... Episode 06: Red Dwarf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two episodes to go in Twin Peaks: The Return. OMG it's amazing.
    Last edited by charlesr; 18-03-2021, 08:56.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
      Two episodes to go in Twin Peaks: a limited event series. OMG it's amazing.
      Glad you're enjoying it Charles. I thought it was incredible. Nothing like I was expecting and all the better for it.

Comment

Red Dwarf
        We're breaking the convention with this one as we tackle a show that has looked finished in a none planned way several times before but in reality is still on the air sporadically almost three and a half decades after first airing. Whilst those behind the show hope to continue it in a relaxed fashion for quite some time yet it doesn't take much to deduce that once the channel Dave ceases to commission new episodes the show will once and for all finally be over with no more lifelines being available to it. We've stared down the barrel of not having any more Dwarf several times but the key occasions and times were the tale would be over in effect have been:

Red Dwarf VI - The collapse of the partnership between Grant and Naylor led to the show not returning the following couple of years and had it never done so then the shows closing moments would have been of Rimmers futile attempts to save the crew from being destroyed by their corrupt future selves.

Red Dwarf VIII - Again the episode in question ended with Rimmer trapped alone, this time as Red Dwarf is exploding around him and the gang are missing after the ship has been abandoned by the rest of the crew. Following the eighth run the showrunners became overly fixated on efforts to make a film that delayed things so long that by the time renewal was discussed eight years later the BBC rejected the pitch.

It had once been mentioned that they'd once toyed with the show ending with Red Dwarf making it back to Earth and it crash into the sea causing a tidal wave that wipes out the last remaining humans on Earth. Canon isn't important to the show either but it has alluded before to the idea of Lister still being onboard Red Dwarf as a very old man, something that seems easier to sync now so many years have passed. Also the central plot has moved away from getting back to Earth to locating Kochanski, likely because in show they've been able to get back to Earth instantly for some time now.

If Red Dwarf is ever in a position to know that its next episode will be its last, how would you like to see it end?

Comment

They're just slobbing around with no real agenda.

Maybe suggest that Fushal exists and Kochanski is waiting for Lister, but no rock-solid ending, but giving some hope.

EDIT: I know they've said they'd never finish it, but you asked how I'd like it to end.

Comment

I think as time has gone on I've grown fonder of the idea of it having an ending. No ending will mean cancellation dictates the end and their current legal woes show the catch with the approach as even though I enjoy 99% of the output I'd be really disappointed if Promised Land ended up being how it ends.

I definitely don't need it to be a grand ending, as we've discussed in the main thread before the show is always at its weakest when it aims for longer and grander storylines so I'd keep it within a normal end of series episode. For me, this coming after recently watching Series IV/V

I'd have the plot involve the crew having to find a way off ship as after well over 3 million years it's become too worn for the journey, maybe the engine has given out. Lister would ultimately end up going back to Earth in his own era with Kochanski which would at least dovetail nicely with the photo he found of them getting married in Series 2 (age and casting change aside - though that would explain how she was married to him whilst also single and dying aboard the ship). Cat would go back with him, largely enjoying the indulgences of the world. Kryten would in a way die, avoiding the issue of him being future tech in Listers time and would in some way reflect him no longer being dependent on Lister. But his and Holly's programme would be uploaded to... the Holoship which I'd work into the plot somehow. I think some sort of development where the Holocrew is mostly wiped out. Programmes transferred Kryten and Holly could live on here with Rimmer who would end up reunited and with Nirvanah Crane and in command of the ship. Watching the ep back she's literally the only character who meets Rimmer, accepts him for who he is and quickly falls genuinely in love with him. He also loses tons of his hang ups because it's the first time he ever experiences true acceptance, support and lack of judgment so it'd be really nice to see the character end the journey finally getting what he never got in life by having friends go with him, a real accepting partner and be left in command of a ship - going off together to look for those 'aliens'

Comment

Breaking Bad had my fav ending

Comment

Twin Peaks: The Return ending: yeah all good. I saw it coming when he went into "Judy's cafe".

Evil will never give up, but nor will Cooper

The penultimate episode was the best. The final episode was more relaxing. Apart from the last few seconds

Comment

Working...
                X