No announcement yet.

Retro|Spective on Retro|Spective 170: Final Fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FF isn't solely defined by crowd management, each enemy has their own personality and behaves differently which means you have to mix up your game rather than just 'nailing the throw'. I guarantee that being good at throwing enemies won't make the game a cakewalk, just like using the infinite punch trick doesn't guarantee a 1cc. FF can play differently each credit and that's what makes the game so brutal. You can also play for score at high levels with the alchemy trick so it's got plenty to offer.

SOR2 is still good mind you...although it did take Sega two attempts to get the template right

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
      FF isn't solely defined by crowd management, each enemy has their own personality and behaves differently which means you have to mix up your game rather than just 'nailing the throw'. I guarantee that being good at throwing enemies won't make the game a cakewalk, just like using the infinite punch trick doesn't guarantee a 1cc. FF can play differently each credit and that's what makes the game so brutal. You can also play for score at high levels with the alchemy trick so it's got plenty to offer.
      Excellent point.

Even though I would still argue that crowd management at a basic level underpins all belt scrollers (or at least everything that came after FF).

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
      SOR2 is still good mind you...although it did take Sega two attempts to get the template right
      ...and they STILL needed to imitate FF for a lot of that template, and they STILL didn't completely nail it.

Comment

SoR2 has a range of different enemy behaviours. All brawlers should.

FF can play differently each time. So can SoR2 (to a lesser exent admitedly).
        Every 1cc or better run I've ever done on FF (jamma) has been a throw, combo throw marathon, I try to mix it up even a little, the results are disappointing.
        Not so for SoR2 1cc runs.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Great games though, I'll never tire of either.

(SoR3, it's a shame I just can't get out of the SoR2 playstyle whenever I play it...I feel I never take advantage of the greater player character movement, and that could add crazy depth to my game.)

Comment

Aside from emulation and X68k whats the definitive home Final Fight version? Real shame they didn't do it on Saturn/PlayStation at least that would've had approximate resolution. Maybe Mega CD? I've got the PS3 version which is fine and all but blah on an HD system.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
            Aside from emulation and X68k whats the definitive home Final Fight version? Real shame they didn't do it on Saturn/PlayStation at least that would've had approximate resolution. Maybe Mega CD? I've got the PS3 version which is fine and all but blah on an HD system.
            100% the Mega CD version. Muddy palette aside, it’s bloody fantastic.

I could never get on with the cropped screen of the GBA version and the SNES version, whilst good for the time, is nowhere near as good as the Mega CD.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
              At this point, it's most likely the version of FF on the Beat-em-up Bundle/Belt Action Collection, or maybe FF Double Impact? (Yes, I know that they are both emulation as opposed to actually crafted ports)

FF CD would've been seen as definitive in the west back in 1993 but Capcom never ported it in the first place - Sega did with permission to use the IP from Capcom. FF CD has a lot of differences, obvious and/or otherwise, that make it not as perfect a port as it seemed back in the day, although the Time Attack mode is an inspired touch.
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 31-01-2021, 20:45.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

I could never get on with the cropped screen of the GBA version and the SNES version, whilst good for the time, is nowhere near as good as the Mega CD.
                Would mostly agree with this, although I am fond of Final Fight One on the GBA - easily a better port than the SNES versions despite the obvious limitations, and adding the Alpha/Zero version of Cody and Guy is an excellent touch.

Comment

Always though the art style for Final Fight was very well done and carried on to Street Fighter 2. The design and look was superior to many similar games.

Comment

Working...
                  X