wireless PS2 pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wireless PS2 pads?

I'm seeing a lot of these on eBay. Has anyone tried them?

Probably functional at best

This is what you want - shame I sold my years ago

Comment

Bet those are basically unicorns now.

Comment

Yep those Sega Surf Waves do crop up occasionally on eBay and it depends if the seller knows what they have. Generally though they sell well in excess of £100. I was looking for one for a while until I changed my plans and got one of those, Switch Pro/Xbox One/PS3/PS4 to PS Classic/PS2 Super Converters from Brook.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
          Probably functional at best

This is what you want - shame I sold my years ago

https://segaretro.org/Wireless_Controller_Surf_Wave
          Yep, those are fantastic. I remember when my friends and I first got one when they came out; they were branded with a different company in the UK (4Gamers? Maybe?) but they looked the same; I remember the bit of transparent blue plastic at the top. It worked from across the street, amazing range. I never owned one because they were expensive (£45 when pads used to cost around £20) but they're great.

Comment

I had a wireless controller once... but I couldn't get it to work

*badum-tish!*

Comment

The controller I ordered from eBay arrived:

Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised.

It was £20 all-in, and it's a respectable imitation of a DS2, and takes 2xAAAs.

The sensor you plug into the PS2 has all the heft of a happy-meal toy, but it works. The controller itself feels light and cheaper than an official pad; though it's hard to compare it to my actual pad in terms of how clicky etc. the buttons and d-pad are because my official pads are well-used and may be 20 years old.

But once I got going with Tekken Tag Tournament, it felt fine.

Also according to the package it'll also work with the PS1. I suspect, then, that this is actually a wireless PS1 pad, in that it probably doesn't have the analog face buttons that the PS2 pad had, but then, very few games used that functionality anyway (honestly I thought it was a crap feature).

But if you find yourself going back to the PS2 to primarily play things like RPGs, then I can definitely recommend it. Fighting games and racing games, I think you could do a lot worse.

Comment

Those are always knocking about in indies in my area, and I've long been curious about them. Glad to hear it's working well for you.

DualShock 2s have been a pain to get decent examples of for a while now. They're often either completely knackered or counterfeit. And that's just for wired ones.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                  Those are always knocking about in indies in my area, and I've long been curious about them. Glad to hear it's working well for you.

DualShock 2s have been a pain to get decent examples of for a while now. They're often either completely knackered or counterfeit. And that's just for wired ones.
                  Yeah, I'd say that this is definitely an option. I'll try out the analog controls later this week. Doubtless someone will be along with an after-market solution; PS2 emulation is still quite a long way off.

Comment

I bought two of those silver PS2 with two Dual Shock 2 sets last year, think I've got enough to last until I die now.

The only good use of the membrane in the DS2 I can think of is with MGS2 and MGS3. Hated it in GT3, used to bind R2 to the accelerator instead.

If you wanted to see what kind of pad they're registered as try a piece of software that demands a Dual Shock 2, I think God Hand demanded I use a DS2. Possibly Killer 7 too.

Definitely worth getting a SATA network adapter and dropping a HDD in the PS2, easily the best experience.

Comment

Discovered that there's a module for OPL that allows the use of Dual Shock 3 and 4 via use of a supported USB bluetooth module. Kinda interesting stuff, going to track down a supported module and give it a go.

Last edited by speedlolita; 13-02-2021, 19:07.

Comment

The module arrived and setting it up with OPL was very simple. It seems to work as you'd expect. Amazing what the homebrew community can achieve. Caveat being that it only works when you're using OPL.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          The controller I ordered from eBay arrived:

Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised.

It was £20 all-in, and it's a respectable imitation of a DS2, and takes 2xAAAs.

The sensor you plug into the PS2 has all the heft of a happy-meal toy, but it works. The controller itself feels light and cheaper than an official pad; though it's hard to compare it to my actual pad in terms of how clicky etc. the buttons and d-pad are because my official pads are well-used and may be 20 years old.

But once I got going with Tekken Tag Tournament, it felt fine.

Also according to the package it'll also work with the PS1. I suspect, then, that this is actually a wireless PS1 pad, in that it probably doesn't have the analog face buttons that the PS2 pad had, but then, very few games used that functionality anyway (honestly I thought it was a crap feature).

But if you find yourself going back to the PS2 to primarily play things like RPGs, then I can definitely recommend it. Fighting games and racing games, I think you could do a lot worse.
                          Hey everyone, just wanted to post a warning to anyone considering buying these. The receiver may cause eye-damage.

They work fantastically well. No issue even after this time They feel a little cheap, like a decent third-party - but this is about something else.

People here will know that I've had eye problems recently, and that's resulted in a few trips to the opthalmologist. I recently had a problem which sprung up around when I was ill after my first COVID vaccine. The problem subsided, but I was left with a thought-to-be-new-permanent-mark in my right eye.

That mark finally subsided, after ~12 weeks, it's so minor that I only see it in very rare light conditions and it seems like it's going to keep becoming less noticeable.

Until I had an experience that **** me right up today, when I saw a mark of the same type, same shape etc. in my left eye. If I looked at the clock on my phone, I would see a dark smudge over the line/stalk in one of the numbers. Cue adrenaline, monentary panic, going through the tests I have to go through... And fortunately, after about 40 minutes it completely subsided.

It was caused by the receiver unit of this wireless pad.

And it makes sense. The lights are extremely bright. Weirdly so. Like if the room is dark and you have this on, it's almost painful to have in your field of vision. Normally, though, obviously, I wouldn't have looked directly at it. My opthalm and I have discussed many eye symptoms over the years and I think I had what some welders get, where they see the arc mark of a welder for a very long time after using it if they have improper eye shielding.

My working theory is that I may have played on the PS2 when I was laid up with my vaccine symptoms, and maybe, whilst on the phone or something, zoned out and stared at the lights.

I can tell because the mark was two spots, one lighter (left) and one smaller/dimmer (right), the exact layout of the lights on this receiver. There's practically no doubt; I turned it on for the first time in ages today. They line up perfectly.

I've since taken a roll of white sticky-labels and stuck 6 of them over the lights, so I can just see if the unit is on/off but it's quite dim, so should, now, be totally safe. However, if you did buy one of these, I urge you to do the same.

LED lights are great, but I find this to be an ongoing problem. I have a pair of bluetooth headphones where the blue light is enough to keep my wife awake at night if I have them on (I had to cut a tiny square of a label and stick it over the light).

Comment

That's... quite the update. Very glad to hear that your sight problem hasn't turned out to be permanent one, and also that you're now less concerned about the second COVID jab, but I'd probably be even more cautious than you already have been and just bin the things if they're that dangerous.

Comment

Just to say we have had a post-it note propped over these lights for the majority of the time having this set up. We have had a good spring clean this weekend dusting and hoovering including cleaning around our consoles and this post-it note naturally fell off at some point.

Cannot overstate how bright this thing is, its almost like a laser pen. The only other gaming device we have I have to place a sticker over is a wired Animal Crossing controller I bought last year which has a piercing bright light in its center. I don't use that controller often but when I do it usually has some sort of sticker over it.

Very relieved we have worked out what this particular eye issue was after his vaccine, you can imagine how worried we were near the time of the 2nd dose despite no proof it caused the issue, just a huge coincidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X