Gigabyte 5600xt GFX card crashing randomly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte 5600xt GFX card crashing randomly

My son got a Gigabyte 5600xt off ebay. It worked fine for a few weeks, allowing him to play VR HTC Vive etc.

Now it is crashing randomly, sometimes when doing nothing, but normally just after moving the mouse.
    It could last as long as the windows login screen, or it could let you happily play games for 20 minutes.

Last night, I swapped cards with my PC and his. For a couple of hours in the evening, they both worked fine and so I left them on overnight. In the morning, with his card in my PC, it was still working, so got all excited, but after 5 minutes of using it, my PC crashed.... His PC with my card was fine.

Notes:
    When it crashes, the mouse freezes, then a few seconds later the screen goes black and fans on the CPU whir (as if rebooting?) and then the motherboard boot LED stops on VGA. Resetting the machine after that allows it to boot fine though.

GAH!!!

So it seems his card is the issue.
    Drivers are all up to date. CPUZ says it is what it claims to be. It doesn't appear to be overheating.

I tried wiping the contacts with a bit of kitchen paper (I don't have any rubbing alcohol to hand). A tiny bit of black came off, even though to the naked eye, they look clean.

Suggestions for how to proceed?

Make sure mobo is running the latest BIOS update (have a look and see if there's any mention of GFX stability fixes in the release notes).

You could try an earlier driver version (go back a couple of updates with a clean install see if it makes a difference).

Use GFX tuner to undervolt and reduce clock speed - if this works, I'd return it, it's probably been mining Ethereum and it's now getting towards end-of.life.

There's nothing wrong per se with buying ex-mining cards (I'm running an RX480 4GB in my work PC I got for £60), so long as you know that's what they are and get them for a price relative to that - trouble at the moment is the demand is pushing the prices up of all cards.

As a last resort you could try updating the card BIOS, but I'm honestly not mad keen on GFX BIOS updates due to getting the right BIOS images/card version variations.

Comment

Could swear I already replied to this. I forgot that bios updates are even possible. I used the gigabyte aorus tool to check bios and read notes for more recent bios which talks about stability improvements. So I went ahead. It's back in his now and no issues during numerous reboots. Letting windows decide the driver. He's been playing Rainbow Six Seige on ultra settings for an hour now.

Fingers crossed

Thanks [MENTION=42]MartyG[/MENTION]

Comment

Still going strong.

Comment

It's possible to flash a 5600xt bios on some cards to increase performance. Not sure if yours is one of them. I have a Sapphire Pulse 5600XT, been rock solid.

Comment

yeah, the bios flash said it will increase the max speed.

Comment

Working...
            X