• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 172: Blast Corps

History in Games:
    1997 - Blast Corps

Overview:

During their peak output run Rare had been steadily launching large platforming and adventure titles alongside their more mature fighter series. Amidst this rush of gold came a plucky little title packing 57 levels of destruction that pitted players against the clock to wipe out the required areas using each vehicles unique abilities and controls and in doing so earned itself a cult group of followers. Despite this the game has never seen a sequel or even imitators come to market helping it retain its unique charm.

What are your memories of Blast Corps destructive chaos and where do you place it in Rare's output?

One of my all time favourite games!

I would love a sequel to this, sure it’ll never happen.

Comment

I feel no real love for anything N64 based. But this, this I love!

Comment

I love Blast Corps!

A really original concept, incredible graphics (at the time) and loads of replayability as you tried to beat your scores.

I too, would love a sequel but it'll never happen. Unless Microsoft can turn it into a GaaS.

Co-op demolition would be so cool!!

Comment

I love it, but it's definitely one of those games which is stronger in the memory than it objectively was.

Comment

I have this ready to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              I love it, but it's definitely one of those games which is stronger in the memory than it objectively was.

It's one of those games were I feel it's biggest niggles fall at the feet of the N64 more so than the game itself, had it been made just one generation later it would have really led to a tighter experience.

Comment

Played it years after release in the 2010s and loved it. Just an amazingly fun packed game.

Comment

Class game. Love the chunkiness on the vehicles and the satisfying destruction of drifting through the side of a building.

It doesn't last forever but it's a ton of fun while it does. Always wished Rare might do a sequel one day rather than make rubbish stuff.

Comment

I like it when people pronounce it "Corpse". "Blast Corpse".

I always wanted them to do a train sim game after this. The train controls are great.

Comment

The graphics clearly haven't aged too well, and it might be easy to blame the hardware here in 2021 - but remember that there wasn't much else pumping out geometry and draw distance like this back then. Some levels were HUGE.

This level here stands out:

I was always amazed at how you could see the warhead carrier all the way back there. Moments like that really made you get your arse in gear. The sense of urgency was immense.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                        it's definitely one of those games which is stronger in the memory than it objectively was.
                        Nope.

The gameplay holds up today just as it did back then, as is always the case with true quality concept and irrespective of how the looks and sounds might have aged.

Comment

I just know I played it a few years ago and found the controls/handling for the vehicles felt quite stiff.

Like when you go back to playing Gears of War 1 after playing Gears of War 2.

Comment

Working...
                          X