• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro|Spective 173: Blue Stinger

History in Games:
    1999 - Blue Stinger

Overview:
    To this day the game remains locked in as a Dreamcast exclusive, an ever rarer breed, the title was an early survival horror experience on the system generated entirely in 3D and follows Eliot Ballade as he explores the secrets of Dinosaur Island. The game included some shooter and beat em up mechanics but its simple visuals meant that many players kind of passed the game by. In the years that followed though the game developed a small cult fan following.

Were you a fan of Blue Stinger? What were your thoughts of this very... blue... game?

It was rubbish when it came out. It's rubbish now. Yet I still kind of like it just for its rubbishness.

Comment

I got a copy this weekend. Looking forward to playing it. Going to try the Japanese version as it has classic Resi style cameras that are supposed to be better than the western version. If there's too much text I'll switch.

Comment

I was really hyped for Blue Stinger but couldn’t really warm to it when it arrived. Might not have helped that there there was a language barrier thing going on. I did like the characters though, and the Christmas setting.

Comment

Loved this when it first came out. Had that weird Japanese sense of humour that translated so awkwardly. The Xmas setting was also kind of cool with the happy holiday jingle playing while you're chopping monsters in half.

The dialogue was so bad it was good.

Comment

I didn't get it. I tried to play it a bunch of times and just thought it was crap.

Comment

I love Blue Stinger! Yes it’s clunky, with corny dialogue etc etc, but there is just something about it that’s special.

Imported the Jpn version at launch then picked up the US version. The 2 different perspectives are a great mix to experience it fully and in vga it does look really nice. The PAL version doesn’t support it though.

I have a nice blue stinger collection; guide book, all regions of game, original Japanese advertising and more

Hell I even have the;

Image F4-A04-A25-EF40-4-C06-8-A1-C-E8944-C331-F5-E hosted in ImgBB

Image D84466-BB-0-F1-B-42-C3-93-B7-B37-AC9-B02251 hosted in ImgBB

Comment

I seem to remember that this game was available to buy in Game a week before the actual launch of the Dreamcast. By this stage I hadn't yet got my JPN DC modded (if it was even a thing then). So I never did buy it, as by that time games had moved on.

Comment

Working...
                X