Slow USB media speeds advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow USB media speeds advice

I saw somewhere that this can be caused by formatting in windows.

I saw a program mentioned that's better for various memory but I forgot the name.

I've e had various sticks that transfer way slower than the advertised speed. Or crippling slow speeds. They weren't bought from discount places, and had genuine packaging.

Any tips on this?

How old are the memory sticks? There are a limited number of times you can write to SDRAM, there are reserves built into them which get used up (this is part of what the controller IC does), but as they age, the harder the controller has to work to find writeable areas and as a result they slow down, eventually they'll stop working entirely because there is no longer any writeable DRAM. Cheaper sticks are more likely to have smaller amounts of reserve capacity.

You could try SDFormatter, this will base format the cards (it'll format sticks and memory cards that have odd partitioning windows struggles with and won't format properly), but it may just be your sticks need replacing.
    Last edited by MartyG; 18-02-2021, 11:51.

Comment

Most are not old at all. I did format in windows.

One older one did die for no reason. Hardly used, expensive brand and just left in a drawer.

Comment

Some figures and also models would help. Good brands can still perform slowly.

Comment

Sorry I don't have the model numbers to hand, most of them are USB 3 HP, Sandisk etc. That's why I expected faster speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            You could try SDFormatter, this will base format the cards (it'll format sticks and memory cards that have odd partitioning windows struggles with and won't format properly), but it may just be your sticks need replacing.
            The site only mentions sd cards, but I guess it'll do standard usb media?

Comment

Yeah, it'll format anything with flash memory.

Comment

Definitely plugged into a high speed port?

Comment

Yeah I've had this with different slots and different computers. Sub usb2 speeds just made me realise its crazy. I did do a few searches before and the one tip given was never quick format in windows.

Comment

Working...
                  X