Laptop and new users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop and new users

i bought a laptop from my nephew, and looking to remove his account and put a new one on for me as the primary user.

i dont want to mess with anything in case it gets locked before i know what to do, is it as easy as adding my Microsoft account, then deleting his or will his always be locked on the machine?

If it's Win10 you can do a full reset of the OS, or you can first create your account as a full admin and then delete the other account.

Comment

Reset it back to factory fresh then add your account as you complete the setup process. And if it doesn’t have a SSD I’d strongly advise you to get one for it.

Comment

cheers guys, going to pop in a 500gb SSD, and maybe upgrade the ram,

this is the laptop
        Looking for upgrade or update information? Trying to find the names of components or programs? This document contains the technical details for this product.

it says it has 8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB), looking to possibly add another 8gb, but it doesn't say in the specs if there is another ram slot, do i need to open it up to check or is there a way in windows to find out?

SSD

Comment

Originally posted by beecee View Post
          it says it has 8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB), looking to possibly add another 8gb, but it doesn't say in the specs if there is another ram slot, do i need to open it up to check or is there a way in windows to find out?
          Crucial shows it has 2 slots

Comment

Will any make of ram do?
            Looking at this.

Comment

For optimal performance you want matched DIMMs, but if you're not chasing performance, chances it won't make that much difference, though you'd still want to match speed and timings to minimise compatibility issues.

Install CPU-Z, click on the memory tab and see what CAS Latency is of your installed RAM and get a DDR4 SODIMM that matches the CAS Latency (usually shown as CL16, CL17 etc) and the 2133Mhz speed.

You could always buy two DIMMs and sell the one that's currently in the laptop to guarantee matched memory, but as I said, it's unlikely to cause issues with modern controllers.

Comment

We'll put in the SSD, got windows installed, what a difference lighting fast boot up less than 20 seconds from button press to using windows.

Left the ram this time round, don't think I need it for what I'll be using it for.

Comment

Working...
                X